Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

doberdadinmd

Familiar Face
Slightly to very disappointed in the Blue Dobbs straw fedora I just received. The band is marked 7 3/8 59, but it seemed a little large (slight disappointment) and upon closer insepction there is another tag with 7 3/8 60 under the band -- explains the slightly larger feel -- but the very disappointing part is that this tag also says Made in Taiwan. Anyone with some info that might cheer me up?

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Quick BIN on a vevety plush looking Knox

Looks old to my eye as well. I imagine it to be a deeper, midnight blue as seen on the underbrim rather than the washed out overexposed blue on the over-all shots.
I hope there will be a thin ribbon under that dead chicken. [huh]

This Borsalino Panama recently sold (not mine) on German eBay. The auction photos were nice so decided to post them.

9287906857_c7d7d9a149_b.jpg

9290906966_292b718c00_b.jpg

9287906899_c81416f206_b.jpg

9287908735_5abfebcd2f_b.jpg

9290686608_a9264d53f8_b.jpg

9287908729_16a569c904_b.jpg

Last edited:

jskeen

One of the Regulars
Hope you guys had better luck on feebay this weekend than I did. Was pretty broke, but several nice lids were coming up. The ones that were in my price range I either missed the chance to bid on, or got top bid on but didn't make reserve, and the ones I did get a bid in on somebody else just plain could afford to want more than me. Got skunked for the whole weekend.

Ah well, 'Cest la vie.

Ormazd

One of the Regulars
I picked up this Knox Twenty panama yesterday. The seller originally had a BIN of $495. I contacted him and suggested that was way out of line, especially considering the condition issues. He then reduced BIN to $125. It looks a bit dinged up, but is a nice, tight weave so I hope I didn't do too badly. Maybe one of the experts can tell me whether it's a Cuenca or Montecristi.
Knox 1.JPG Knox 2.JPG Knox 3.JPG Knox 4.JPG Knox 5.JPG Knox 6.JPG

It looks like a very nice 400ish count branded panama. What does the label under the sweatband indicate? Assuming that it is a man's hat stored in a Bendels box... it appears older than the delivery tag.

Ormazd

One of the Regulars
It looks like a very nice 400ish count branded panama. What does the label under the sweatband indicate? Assuming that it is a man's hat stored in a Bendels box... it appears older than the delivery tag.

I received the hat yesterday. It looks better than the auction pictures showed. It's ~500 WPSI. I took some pictures from under the sweat - don't know if that would help you date it. Thanks!

Knox1.JPG Knox2.JPG Knox3.JPG

DJH

I'll Lock Up

Matt, those grey Whippets with black ribbon are pretty common in that size and that is about the price they often seem to go for. I've had a couple that I paid less for than this one. Good for buying, not so good when you want to sell - no $700 deals for size 7's :)

Couple that with the fact (as Tom mentioned) that the hat has been stretched - which that seller is known for doing - and it probably isn't a hat you'd want to bid too much for. A grey/black Whippet is a nice hat to wear though and those from the OPS period are generally better than the ones from later in the 50's.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Knapp-Felt catalogs from Spring of 1930 and Spring of 1931.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1930-Knapp-Felt-Hats-Catalog-Fedora-Advertisement-/171076902065?ViewItem=&ssPageName=ADME%3AL%3ACOSI%3AUS%3A1123&item=171076902065&nma=true&si=8sAefBNHmcg%2FtisSv2iLx0KhlBA%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
KnappFeltSpring1930.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-193...=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
KnappFeltSpring1931.jpg

Expensive but worth it. I can't remember the last time, if ever, I've seen a Crofut & Knapp catalog come up for auction. Their house organ, The Hat Man, yes, but not an actual catalog. Looking forward to these!

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou