Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
From a Colonelwth ebay listing this AM

"Here I'd like to address the lies being thrown around about me on a certain forum. I was emailed by one of you great ebay buyers and he told me that a bunch of elitist liars are telling stories about the many hats I've sold. These hats I am selling ARE NOT STRETCHED on a hat stretcher. I made the mistake of being honest with these liars several years ago and mentioned that I tried a hat stretcher. But that experiment ruined the hat. I have since never used a stretcher. THIS hat has not been stretched, either. It is exactly as I bought it. So, don't listen to these jerks telling you my hats are messed around with. They are simply liars. Period."

Feraud

Bartender
That's a funny quote from the seller. He tried to low-ball me on a fedora acting as if he was doing me a favor. This guy stated because of the size (7) he'd have to stretch it.
I declined the generous offer and told him I'd rather not sell the fedora than to see it stretched.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Yikes. He tried to lowball you on account of the hat not fitting HIS head?

The catch words in eBay listings can get both humorous and boring. Mad Men... *sigh.*
Admittedly, I do sometimes get excited when I see a nice hat with a terrible or incorrect description, because it usually means the seller has no idea what they're selling and perhaps I can get a "deal." Yes I completely realize that differs slightly from my response in the Optimo vs. VS value thread, but eBay comes with its own set of rules for me, since you can't always trust it. Unfortunately, the ignorance most often works the other way, ie; sellers thinking they have something really super awesome, and listing a Whippet, for example, at $750!!! (I have never owned a Whippet-- they look sharp, but everything I can ascertain points to them not being a particularly high end or rare hat of their day.) $750? No thanks.

One of my favorite annoying seller techniques is where they overuse "the" or "that" as if every feature of the hat has some kind of famous cultural significance that everyone's supposed to know about and/or covet.

"This hat has the five inch crown with the 2 3/8 inch brim, with the grosgrain ribbon binding and that certain bow [that everyone knows about!?]."

Please.

Last edited:

CenTech

New in Town
This one hurts

I've been wearing the driver's style hats for several years, but just picked up my first fedora in a Goorin shop a couple of months ago. Just a cotton one but I think it looks great. Was in the Village Hat Shop in California last week and got a nice black corduroy fedora. Anyway, I thought I had this one on ebay today, and lost at the last second because when I hit "enter" on my bid with 5 seconds left, it went to a "are you sure" page instead of entering my bid. Thus, the hat was sold for 20 bucks under what I would've paid for it. And I am still without a felt fedora.

Somebody tell me it was a crap hat that I didn't want.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/size-7-1-2-vintage-50s-60s-ROYAL-STETSON-blue-gray-felt-FEDORA-hat-LARGE-/310710727576?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D32%26meid%3D198269576353413042%26pid%3D100020%26prg%3D1023%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D310710727576%26&nma=true&si=luP7xy7or8akE9sEXp1bKa7VQ1c%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
First off, welcome to the lounge, CenTech!

Speaking on my behalf, I feel Stetson quality dropped off towards the ending years of the 50's. Any lid made before 1960 will be great quality, so you didn't miss much (I may be a tad biased, as I prefer the oldies any way). 7 1/2's are hard to find in older years, but they are out there. If you wish, you can make a post in the Classifieds section of the forum, stating that you are looking to buy a 7 1/2 hat. Also, there are quite a few custom hatters on the Forum that are exceptional at what they do!!

Again, welcome!

CenTech

New in Town
Thanks. I've been lurking for a couple of weeks and checking out the forums. I've been scouring the classifieds and saw a couple that immediately piqued my interest, but then both were already sold.

Funny thing, just got a fedora in the mail. Not really sure where it came from. Either the wife or my parents, I suppose. My wife saw my browser history was full of the Brent Black site and then the day after my birthday there's a straw fedora on my porch? Hmmm. Though it's just a cheap-looking made in china paper/polyester bit, the thought was nice. Still bummed about the ebay loss.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Now that is a nice surprise!!

I too know the feeling of loosing an item you wanted, but I look at it this way. Since you lost out, something better will come along, and you have more funds to throw in it's direction. Good things come in time to those who are patient (that still won't stop me from trying though)!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Hmm, I have to point out a caveat to Justin's post above.

As the owner of more than a few 60's hats, I have to say; virtually any hat in decent condition from the 60's or even 70's is going to be better than a hat you can buy off the rack today. The difference in quality between a 50's Stetson and a 60's Stetson is VERY modest compared to modern hats. And if you like the stingy brim style, you're kind of shooting yourself in the foot if you're going to restrict yourself to pre-1960 hats, because the stingies came into style in that decade.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
As I stated, I am a tad biased, as I shoot for pre-40s lids. I prefer the brown sweats, felt, dimensions, etc. I own a few 'stingies' pre-60s. My 1920s Stetson, and late 20s American.

If you like stingies, Jared is correct though, there are many from 50s - modern to choose from!

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
I've been wearing the driver's style hats for several years, but just picked up my first fedora in a Goorin shop a couple of months ago. Just a cotton one but I think it looks great. Was in the Village Hat Shop in California last week and got a nice black corduroy fedora. Anyway, I thought I had this one on ebay today, and lost at the last second because when I hit "enter" on my bid with 5 seconds left, it went to a "are you sure" page instead of entering my bid. Thus, the hat was sold for 20 bucks under what I would've paid for it. And I am still without a felt fedora.

Somebody tell me it was a crap hat that I didn't want.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/size-7-1-2-vintage-50s-60s-ROYAL-STETSON-blue-gray-felt-FEDORA-hat-LARGE-/310710727576?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D32%26meid%3D198269576353413042%26pid%3D100020%26prg%3D1023%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D310710727576%26&nma=true&si=luP7xy7or8akE9sEXp1bKa7VQ1c%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I never have to worry about missed opportunities like this. I use a sniping service that places my bids at the last minute to beat out the emotional bidders and to eliminate the chances of me missing an auction like you did. I collect primarily 20s, 30s and 40s hats and it's been a lifesaver and has saved me thousands of dollars.

I agree with Jlee with the superior quality of vintage over new hats.I see milliners on Etsy and other sites all the time charging more for their "new creations" that multiple women will be wearing than what I pay for that last surviving 20s cloche or 30s slouch hat that no other woman in the world will be wearing. Vintage all the way.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
As I stated, I am a tad biased, as I shoot for pre-40s lids. I prefer the brown sweats, felt, dimensions, etc. I own a few 'stingies' pre-60s. My 1920s Stetson, and late 20s American.

If you like stingies, Jared is correct though, there are many from 50s - modern to choose from!

Splinters, just out of curiosity, how much did you pay for your 20s Stetson and late 20s American?

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
CS

I need to start writing the prices down, haha.

The Stetson was a steal at around $75 shipped. Vitrually unworn shape, an expo medal, The Avenue & Gold Medal sweat stamps.

020.JPG

The American was bought here for $225, which to me is worth it as it seems to be one of two that have been posted on the Lounge, and it also has a heather finish, which is not too common.

021.JPG

For me, it all depends on what one is willing to pay for an item. I expected that velour I posted on the last page that I won, to go for much more, and I was willing to pay much more, but thankfully it stayed low.

Josh, thank you for bein' busy!!

"Here I'd like to address the lies being thrown around about me on a certain forum. I was emailed by one of you great ebay buyers and he told me that a bunch of elitist liars are telling stories about the many hats I've sold. These hats I am selling ARE NOT STRETCHED on a hat stretcher. I made the mistake of being honest with these liars several years ago and mentioned that I tried a hat stretcher. But that experiment ruined the hat. I have since never used a stretcher. THIS hat has not been stretched, either. It is exactly as I bought it. So, don't listen to these jerks telling you my hats are messed around with. They are simply liars. Period."

....somebody got up on the wrong side of the bed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic