Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Also- keep an eye on seller: 60acres-of-oaks.
I have already had two very satisfactory transactions w/ them & I am told they (s/he? [huh]) bought 17 trailers :eeek: of Beaver Brand ...stuff.
They were giving away blocks for a mere twenty five bucks a few weeks ago. They have also offered more than a few semi-finished & partially begun fur felts. They also have the odd vanity or store brands I have never before heard of ( American Legend?, Bull Mountain?) & many bands & who knows what else.
I have requested dibs on any dusty old Langenburg or Lion brands they might discover, in...17 trailers...really! :D

Rick Blaine

STAND BACK! I am hotter'n a two-dollah pistol!

Just smoked this NOS Panama BIN two steps out of the gate...never knew what hit him! :target:

Still plenty of summer comin' at us here. 'sides, that one was a no-brainer, right? ;)

...and can someone ID the weave & tell me if it is a Monti or a Cuenca? :eek: (duh)

John Galt

Vendor
Also- keep an eye on seller: 60acres-of-oaks.
I have already had two very satisfactory transactions w/ them & I am told they (s/he? [huh]) bought 17 trailers :eeek: of Beaver Brand ...stuff.
They were giving away blocks for a mere twenty five bucks a few weeks ago. They have also offered more than a few semi-finished & partially begun fur felts. They also have the odd vanity or store brands I have never before heard of ( American Legend?, Bull Mountain?) & many bands & who knows what else.
I have requested dibs on any dusty old Langenburg or Lion brands they might discover, in...17 trailers...really! :D

Great seller! I purchased several blocks, and when one arrived broken, he replaced it an threw another in for free because of the hassle.

John Galt

Vendor
Just won this Knox Westlite Strat/OR clone. I've already got one, and they are very light indeed.

I had a wide ribbon put on the other one to hide fading from being stored in another hat, so this will be the first I have in the original configuration. Can't wait.

Auction photos. (Added another).

aza4u7a6.jpg

a6ynyga3.jpg

Last edited:

Miamibruno

One Too Many
Yes. In women's hats the Merrimac brand is usually stamped onto the hat rather than attached to an actual label. I've never seen this brand in 20s and 30s hats, only 40s and onward.

I'm so happy someone mentioned the Merrimac brand. There's a whole history of it somewhere. I bought one of their fedoras dirt cheap and it is a fabulous hat. The felt is wonderful. I've only seen that one in a man's hat. Nice to know there are others around. Bought it on OFAS so I'll post pictures tonight.

humanshoes

One Too Many
Coudn't resist this Resistol 3X beaver hat made for the forest service. Thought it might rebash to a serviceable fedora. At $35 plus shipping it seemed well worth the risk. Resistol forest service hat.jpg IMG_1781.jpg IMG_1779.jpg IMG_1780.jpg IMG_1782.jpg IMG_1785.jpg

humanshoes

One Too Many
Yep, a little stiff, but it doesn't look like it and took the new bash remarkably well with just a little spray of distilled water. I am also amazed at how smooth (hand?) the felt is.

Rick Blaine

I couldn't not...

...not!

From D Bar J Hat in Vegas. A 10x $400 retail, now if I can figure how to shrink it by a couple of sizes. I need to lose an inch, I figure. Lampshade trick, here I come! Where can ya; get an incandescent 60 watt anymore? [huh]
I'll get the self-band off & put on a Ranger leather band which may allow me to "snug up" the fit some more.
As it looks like cammo, well, at least I can wear it to hunt, if nothing else.

...but regardless, city or country, I'll Be BIG PIMPIN'! :p That's right! Where did THAT come from?

The seller describes them all as "peluche" I may have to take some abrasive to it, sandpaper or steel wool. This one also seemed the least "fuzzy".

fashion frank

One Too Many
Sniped another one cheap !!

I have been watching this hat for the last four days and it was a sleeper untill yesterday.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1940S-FELT-CHAMP-FEDORA-MENS-HAT-GREY-6-7-8-/310753941876

The second bidder only had 12 buys ( newbe ? ) and I was hoping that he had never been sniped before and that he would think that he was the only other bidder besides the very first original bidder.

I waited till the last 4 seconds and punched in $40.00 as I was hopeing that he would not set a high bid amount figuring that nobody else was interested in the hat but himself :cool:.

It worked because he only set his high bid limit to $32.50 and so I got it for $33.50 in the very last few seconds of the auction and he did not have enough time to manually type in a higher limit.

So $33.50 +$8.75 + 42.25 for a hat that looks like it was never worn and perhaps it is N.O.S..

The seller didnt list it ,but it also looks like he took the photos of the hat as it was sitting on top of what appears to be a hat box ,but he did not list the box in the auction listing so hopefully I will get that as well and from looking at the pictures of the hat near the crown it looks like a fine line from the indent of the round part of the hat box where the hat rests inside.

I will post some pictures of the hat after it arrives.

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

John Galt

Vendor
Yep, a little stiff, but it doesn't look like it and took the new bash remarkably well with just a little spray of distilled water. I am also amazed at how smooth (hand?) the felt is.

Good chance it's a nutria blend since it's a service hat.

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

John Galt

Vendor
Congratulations, John! That's a really nice Langenberg and at a very good price. Looks to be a 50s. Great find! :eusa_clap

Thanks Ole, I have what appears to be an early 1960's Langenburg stingy brim in midnight blue with the same markings. I generally don't like stingy's but it is a really great hat, rivaled only by my Stetson Nutria Quality hats, so I have high hopes for this one.

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran