Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

EliasRDA

One of the Regulars
Watching this one.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Mens-DO...Hat-Gray-Wool-Felt-Ribbon-7-3-8-/181245302853

Hat looks good, but pictures can be deceiving. [huh] Looks to be a slight stain from sweat(?) on the front edge between body & brim.
The only thing bugging me is the brim looks like its been mashed? Not sure if its being sold by one of the Loungers, havent seen it in the classifieds section but who knows, heh.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Watching this one.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Mens-DO...Hat-Gray-Wool-Felt-Ribbon-7-3-8-/181245302853

Hat looks good, but pictures can be deceiving. [huh] Looks to be a slight stain from sweat(?) on the front edge between body & brim.
The only thing bugging me is the brim looks like its been mashed? Not sure if its being sold by one of the Loungers, havent seen it in the classifieds section but who knows, heh.

Looks like a pretty sweet deal, given the size. A bit o' steam should set that brim right.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Kent and David. I see where the sweat needs a tad bit of work and may need a cleaning but the price was hard to pass up! I figure that it went unnoticed because of the mis-labeling. It is not a derby just simply an unbashed Borso

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
I actually emailed the pictures to a hatter and he said for the price it was worth getting because it was not a terrible sweatband that needed fixed ASAP. He obviously said it wasn't perfect but it was workable

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
You are right, I was willing to buy low and hope it worked out. Seller is sending me pics and is lowering the price. I may still snap this one up but not looking likely now.

+1 to Carouselvic's caution. The staining on the brim edge ribbon will require replacing or cutting. Expense to repair/renovate will not be trivial. It doesn't appear to be a particularly good price given the level of damage.

EliasRDA

One of the Regulars
Dobbs1.jpg Dobbs2.jpg Dobbs3.jpg DobbsInter.jpg DobbsInter2.jpg DobbsKing.jpg DobbsTag.jpg

OKay, sorry about that, posted too quick for some reason.

I got this from ebay the other day, it arrived friday & I finally got a chance to unbox it today. Man,what a great seller, he/she really wrapped the dobbs box in newspaper to protect it from the cardboard box, then there is a piece of white paper between the hat brim & the box cover.
I've looked the hat over, cant find any moth marks unless they are under the hatband, slight smell but I'm just picky in that area. Bit of dirt or stain at the front of the crown where the bash is, but really not noticable. I think the hatband is just out of position, I havent moved it or played with it yet.

Right now I'm debating what to do with it.. I'm appparently not a LO head so its a touch loose on me & since I've havent had a haircut yet I'm thinking its gonna get looser when I do.. so if I keep it I'll get it cleaned, thinking about maybe doing a new sweatband. I think it does need a steaming to resnap the brim as it is a bit mangled.
Or do I put it up for sale?

I really wasnt thinking I was going to win the auction, so it surprised the heck out of me when I did. Personally I feel its a bit of a small brim for me & I havent had a chance to get pictures of me wearing it. But the brim doesnt look much smaller than the black wool I have now.

So... what do ya'll think of it? Was it a steal I should hold onto?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart