Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

John Galt

Vendor
I saw the listing 6 days ago. I knew I couldn't afford them right now and flagged John Galt. I don't think he got them, though. Vintage 2" ribbon in good colors at $1.5 a yard is quite okay. Can't win 'em all [huh]

Great price, but not good timing for me. I did not win :-(

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
I went to Cleveland, Ohio for the first time last year. While there, I learned about the historic Arcade that is located in downtown Cleveland. It's a hotel now, but it has still retained the original architectural details such as the doors and of course the building is the same. So when I saw this hat up for sale with the label indicating that the milliner who sold it/made it was located in the Arcade, I had to have it. I was hoping that others did not see the historical significance of it and bid it up to over 100 bucks or something so outrageous, I got lucky and won it for 26 dollars! It's beat up and I have to get it cleaned but that's no problem!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Wom...EyhOd8btSQUVrTIk3LlvI%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

bloc

One of the Regulars
I went to Cleveland, Ohio for the first time last year. While there, I learned about the historic Arcade that is located in downtown Cleveland. It's a hotel now, but it has still retained the original architectural details such as the doors and of course the building is the same. So when I saw this hat up for sale with the label indicating that the milliner who sold it/made it was located in the Arcade, I had to have it. I was hoping that others did not see the historical significance of it and bid it up to over 100 bucks or something so outrageous, I got lucky and won it for 26 dollars! It's beat up and I have to get it cleaned but that's no problem!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Wom...EyhOd8btSQUVrTIk3LlvI%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Great to get a piece of history, be lovely to see pictures of the hat when it's refurbished.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Hat site sounds exciting, look forward to seeing it. Love the idea of taking the hat back to it's birthplace for a picture.

Yes, my site will combine millinery history, architectural history, Black American history and American history in general. I live in DC so the very first picture for the site is going to be in honor of Dr. Dorothy Height, who until the day she died in 2010 aged 98, wore her hats everywhere she went!

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Alan, did you outbid me on this one?
$T2eC16V,!zkFJCpQ2MtYBSfUgTfd9g~~60_57.JPG

great white

Familiar Face
Just started acquiring hats. First step into the pond was a Dobbs fedora:

715039702_o_zps68f2b23d.jpg

715039739_o_zpsd2a82dbc.jpg

Looks post 1972 by it's sweat band, markings and tag. Maybe even more modern. The "rev 1-83" on the tag would seem to indicate newer than 1983, unless it means something else. Googling "Calvert" brings back nothing.

I was cruising "thE Bay" and it spoke to me so I had to have it. That stab of yellow (feather) standing on the black fur felt just grabs me for some reason. It's also in my massive cranium sizing of 7 5/8. Paid 63 CAD for it, 107 after shipping (expensive to bring hats into Canada from the states). It looks to be in pretty good shape, but I'm also a raw novice at vintage hats. Doesn't matter either way, it called to me. That's good enuff!

I also ran across an Akubra Snowy River:

T2eC16FHJHIFFhoLIbPGBSJYLjZw60_57_zps9ec0779d.jpg

It's marked "53" which is far too small for me. But the auction showed a "63" in a hand written tag opposite the Akubra size tag. Further, the seller listed the interior measurements as 7 1/2 x 8 1/4. A quick stab at an ellipse calculation gave a perimeter of 23 1/4". Right about my size. A stretch from 53 to 63 seems like way more than a hat should be able to handle though.

It was 36 bucks, so I took a chance and bought it. I wanted a general "knock around" hat for hiking, poor weather and such. The Akubra should fill the bill nicely after a bit of light reworking to make it look a touch less "cowboy" and a bit more "Average Joe". The narrow ribbon and the "fly feather" spoke to me as well, so into a shipping box it must go! If it's all wrong for me, it may become a "learning hat" for altering and shaping. Almost a can't loose proposition to buy it. I'm thinking it's either altered or an older model as I haven't been able to find much on the narrow ribbon or feathering. Most seem to have the braided leather strap/ribbon.

Now, just have to wait for it all to show up.

The Dobbs should show up a couple weeks before Christmas, just in time for visiting and parties.

:)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats