Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Roan

One of the Regulars
Congrats Alan, looks like a very nice hat! I had that one on my watch-list for my dad as it's too small for me. Had it been my size I would have gone for it myself. :)

I just saw this one yesterday and, after much debating with myself over whether or not I need any more hats, I went for it; looks like it may be '40s vintage. Will have to wait until it arrives to see for sure.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301018068760?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Yes, I wound up high bidder on the old furry. I was surprised it didn't go higher, despite the small size estimate.

Congrats, it looks like a winner. I would have outbid you if the brim was 2 1/8 or 2 1/4. Larger brims don't suit me as well as shorter ones, so I wasn't willing to bid high. I am surprised about the low price, too.

John Galt

Vendor
Had to pull the trigger on this one for $12.99 + reasonable S&H. It will need to be resized up a bit, but I think it will work. It is by Moore Hat Co. I don't know if that's Major Moore & Buckaroo hats or not, but it looks like a quality Ecuadorian Panama regardless of the maker.

adyma4av.jpg

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Had to pull the trigger on this one for $12.99 + reasonable S&H. It will need to be resized up a bit, but I think it will work. It is by Moore Hat Co. I don't know if that's Major Moore & Buckaroo hats or not, but it looks like a quality Ecuadorian Panama regardless of the maker.

adyma4av.jpg

I just got one of their felt "Bulldoggers" & I'd of jumped on this one, had it been the right size.

Last edited:

Miamibruno

One Too Many
I guess this would fall under the category of "Item of Interest". A while back I purchased a Whippet which had the "Whippet" on the sweat and the majority of the brim ribbon on the underside of the brim. We all debated whether it was a Whippet Homburg that lost its stiffener or whether it was a Canadian made Whippet and so on. Now I've seen three (and purchased one) of these on OFAS. There are two still on there, one which is fetching a fine price. All of them were sold in American stores and had the liner and sweat with the stars in the upper left field of the crest. I'm still wondering just what it was, as these 3 all look like Whippets and not homburgs. Hmmm. Just pondering.

10985543833_119207515a_z.jpg

10985426746_c0a3e5914f_z.jpg

10985544703_6e7d791c2f_z.jpg

10985544243_8c31fb378a_z.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
Reminds me a bit of my wide brimmed early 50's (I think) Stetsonian, which has more brim binding on top than on the bottom...

Miamibruno

One Too Many
Those Stetsonians are beautiful, John. I had one a while back but sold it. The felt on the Stetsonian and both of these Whippets (with the Whippet on the sweat) were and are unbelievable and easily creased.

John Galt

Vendor
I traded an early dark brown Whippet a while back for a Knox Vagabond King. The Whippet was too big, and had been cut down, but was beautiful and was sold by Pantke-Harpke and (IMHO) was historically significant for other reasons. I've written about it here. Anyway, that Whippet had amazing felt, better than 90% of the hats I've had the pleasure to handle. The Stetsonian is pretty darn cool though, and they are fairly difficult to find. Here is mine on the left, next to one a Whippet on the right, for comparison.

y7egyser.jpg

e4utahav.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
Stetsonian (Plastic liner protector, but blazoned with stars)

zu3e4ytu.jpg

Whippet (No liner protector, with stars)

8evaze3a.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn