Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

fedoracentric

Banned
Are you sure that you missed out on the hat by 3 bucks? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the winning bidder could have bidded substantially higher than your final bid but the auction will just show the bid as $3 more than your highest bid. For example, you bid $175, the winning bidder could have bidded $300 but would have won it for $178 because of the $3 incremental bidding as required by the seller.

I've seen this argument a dozen times on this site and i think everyone is arguing over a distinction without a difference. Whether the winning bidder bid only $3 more than the second place guy as is shown on the winning final bid in this case or whether he actually bid $100 more is immaterial to the second place bidder. Number two still lost by $3 no matter what the highest bid was.

So, yes, it is wholly accurate to say he lost by $3. And in fact, it is not wholly accurate to say "you could have lost by more" because that is unknowable. Saying the latter is just a guess whereas saying the former is based in fact.

While I understand and agree that he could have lost by more because the winning bidder may have bid far more than the minimum to put him over the top, since it is unknowable it makes little sense to speculate. It should just be taken as a possibility but not seen as a disqualifying point to having lost by $3.

That's how I see it, anyway.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
So, no one knows, then?

It depends on what your question is. Silverbelly is from the belly-area. Belly-fur is the most expensive on the beaver, so it would be very unwise to downgrade the material by calling it "side beaver". I don't know exactly what "side beaver" is, but I really can't think of a hatter, that would call belly fur anything else. They are usually interested in running a sound business :)

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
I've seen this argument a dozen times on this site and i think everyone is arguing over a distinction without a difference. Whether the winning bidder bid only $3 more than the second place guy as is shown on the winning final bid in this case or whether he actually bid $100 more is immaterial to the second place bidder. Number two still lost by $3 no matter what the highest bid was.

So, yes, it is wholly accurate to say he lost by $3. And in fact, it is not wholly accurate to say "you could have lost by more" because that is unknowable. Saying the latter is just a guess whereas saying the former is based in fact.

While I understand and agree that he could have lost by more because the winning bidder may have bid far more than the minimum to put him over the top, since it is unknowable it makes little sense to speculate. It should just be taken as a possibility but not seen as a disqualifying point to having lost by $3.

That's how I see it, anyway.

Believe me, I understand what you are saying. In this case, Historyteach really did lose by $3 and a couple of times I set my bid just high enough to win, but this was not apparent to me until I went and checked the completed auction just to see that I bid just the right amount to win the auction which caused me to get a few chills up my spine after realizing how close I came to not getting that last surviving of its kind 1920s cloche. You are correct when you say it really all just is a guess. I have been bidding on ebay auctions for over 10 years and using a bidding service for half that time and believe me when I tell you, those times when I was lucky enough to bid just the right amount to put me in the winner's circle are few and far between. I think my perspective on this is a little different than everyone else because I use a sniping service. I don't get into bidding wars where I am constantly putting in bids that are just high enough to make me the highest bidder momentarily. In my opinion, the odds that you lost out on an auction because the winner's bid was substantially higher than yours is more probable than the winner just lucking up and bidding the minimum needed to beat your maximum. The latter is just some darn good luck and as we can see it happened in this instance as well as with several of my own wins on ebay.

Last edited:

dnjan

One Too Many
I just scored the 40's gray Sovereign,,,,
Thank you! and Darn you!

Your post reminded me that I had been watching a gray Sovereign as well, and the auction should be ending sometime soon. Thank you!

So I put a bid on a hat that I didn't really need, assuming that someone would want it more. No one else bid, so I ended up sending off money that I really should have been saving, for a hat that I really don't need. But will keep and wear anyway. Darn you!

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
WOOHOO! Just won on a Fur felt Royal Stetson Fedora for $67

Congrats! Now the hard part is waiting on the mail and hoping nothing bad happens. I am waiting on a Stratoliner at the moment and it appears to be stuck in New York :(

John Galt

Vendor
That was me! $34 unreeded Vita-Felt. Indeed, quite small, but I'm hopeful there is a little room for modification given the pristine condition.

apyvujaz.jpg

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Just won this for 70 bucks. The seller is in France. Early 1930s hats are harder to find than 1920s hats. My theory on this is that during the Depression years people wore their hats until they were unwearable so less of those hats to survive through the years. While 20s hats were worn and "retired" away in people's attics before the bust years, so more of those are available. Is there a scarcity of early 30s hats for men as well? Anyways here it is. Not too crazy about the color navy blue, it reminds me of uniforms, but I wasn't going to pass this one up:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FABULOUS-VI...EyhOd8btSQUVrTIk3LlvI%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Won this 40s tilt hat minutes before winning the above one, from the same seller. Again, not crazy about the color navy blue but I still wanted it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-VINTAG...EyhOd8btSQUVrTIk3LlvI%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Just acquired a vintage '70's / 80's (?) 4X Open Road. Very disappointed with this one. What I noticed is that the workmanship and what seems to be a cowhide sweat are very subpar to the earlier Open Roads. The logo on the liner is not covered by plastic, the ribbon work is crooked and pulled too tight in some areas, and the stitching where the sweat was sewn in is visible under the hat ribbon. The leather sweat is stiff and hard. Very uncomfortable. Aside from that, the crown looks to have a noticeable front to back taper and the dumb thing fits too tight. As everyone may recall, I hated my Black Akubra Squatter. This OR is definitely a contender for first place for my most hated hats! I may sell this one real cheap!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails