Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

John Galt

Vendor
Exactly, and I would also have expected a maple leaf in the crest, instead of the stars. I think, I remember something about the leaf being introduced, when the Canadian branch was established. I'm not 100% sure about the latter, though.

I researched this issue and although I am not 100%, my recollection was that the maple leaf was introduced in 1954 to commemorate Canadian manufacture as The Dane suggested.

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

John Galt

Vendor
I don't quite know what to make of this - a wide(ish) ribbon Stetson 25 stuffed in a Stratoliner box. Makes for an interesting brim shape. Hoping on the size too.

Still for $42 worth a chance - I can always sell the box :)

I was watching that one. Great deal. Were you the only bidder? There was only one a little while ago...

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
As for the Royal Stetson Deluxe, thanks everyone. It does indicate American Manufacture (not that it would bother me a bit if it didn't, given the quality of the hat). I'm glad I took the chance on this one. Does anyone have any idea of the model? It is Whippet-esque, and also shares some features with a little later model Stetsonian that I have, but I'm at a loss because there is no indication on the sweat, etc.

Landman

One Too Many
David,

Great buy on that Stetson 25 and Stratoliner box. I almost bid on it for the box and wanted to take a closer look at the hat even though it wouldn't fit me. It looks like it has a Playboy style ribbon but the brim is bound too. Neat looking hat. I hope it works out for you. I'd love to see some more pictures of it.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I don't quite know what to make of this - a wide(ish) ribbon Stetson 25 stuffed in a Stratoliner box. Makes for an interesting brim shape. Hoping on the size too.

Great find, David! It looks very western, but it may very well be due to the "slim-fit" Strat-box. If there's a Stratoliner in your collection, the box would be perfect to keep it's brim in shape :)

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
I researched this issue and although I am not 100%, my recollection was that the maple leaf was introduced in 1954 to commemorate Canadian manufacture as The Dane suggested.

According to US Patent Office the maple leaf was used in the Stetson crest as far back April 30 1946.
Reg#0429052
A 50's date for liners is likely for US hats. For Canadian made hats, sometime in the mid-late 30's.
cw5k.jpg

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, JG, Mike and Ole - I'm looking forward to this hat arriving to see just what it is.

Ole, when I first saw this I thought it was a western, but after seeing how the brim was forced into the Strat box I'm thinking (hoping!) that it's actually an OR style with a different ribbon. I don't recall seeing a wind trolley cord on a western before, while it is (of course) a standard feature on most ORs.

I'll probably end up selling the Stratoliner box, I already have one and don't need another.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
According to US Patent Office the maple leaf was used in the Stetson crest as far back April 30 1946.
Reg#0429052
A 50's date for liners is likely for US hats. For Canadian made hats, sometime in the mid-late 30's.

I haven't checked the patent, but the crest may not have been in use right away, following registration - but as said, I'm not sure.

I don't recall seeing a wind trolley cord on a western before

Exactly my thought! ;)

John Galt

Vendor
Thanks for the input Ole. As always, very insightful. I didn't note who advised re the 1946 Canadian maple leaf, but that is also appreciated and noteworthy.

I collect lightweights, and have two Resistol Krushables. They are fairly rare (it took me some time to find the ones I have in my size, and I look at hundreds of hats daily online) sublime, nice shapable felt, and very lightweight.

Unfortunately, most I've seen are stingy brimmed. Here's one of those that I would buy anyway if it fit me. It is a rare bright green shade and an even rarer 5x kitten finish. I hope that one of you cranially endowed gents picks it up. I think you would like it.

http://bit.ly/1dk8APa

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
Couldnt resist a couple of bowlers in rare colors including a navy blue one I kicked myself for not jumping on the first time it was available.

Brown one is from Tress and Co.

I don't know who made this navy blue one, but i'm already planning on sending it in to get a sharks gill ribbon put on it.

Here's one that was described as MINT condition. Does the edge binding look mint?
I can deal with a stained liner; even pinholes in the felt, (both of which were omitted from the "mint" description) but again, does this binding look "mint?"

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
hey Charlie it's still a good looking hat though. I too recently bought a hat from the bay and it was described as "mint". It wasn't. the flaws weren't so bad that is subtracted from the Hat, but nonetheless it's condition was not in my definition of mint. Oh well...... I wonder if it was the same seller?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails