Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Here's one that was described as MINT condition. Does the edge binding look mint? [...] but again, does this binding look "mint?"

Well, if the mint has been eaten and digested first, it's not that bad a description, I guess :D

Sorry Charlie, a cheat like that is not funny! I once bought a hat in "perfect condition" - except that the front tip of the crown had a heavily worn spot, more than an inch in diametre, and a 1/8" hole right through the felt. The seller seemed baffled about my complaint (directly to him - not via eBay), and I decided that the money were lost. I would have to pay the return shipping to get the buy annulled and my money back ... no ways! Oh, did I forget to mention, that the seller was a fellow lounger (though not very active)? :eusa_doh: [huh] :eusa_doh:

It's a beautiful hat - and I love the type of binding (Borsa?). Just so tedious, that some sellers haven't got the moral to be in business! Your story makes me remember an old graffiti (pardon my poor translation): "Life is but a giant supermarket. Just rip off the shelves - but remember, you'll pay at the 'Exit'!".

Upward and forward, Charlie. You didn't deserve that, but hopefully you won't bump into an ethics-lacking seller like that for a long time. I'm afraid, they are impossible to steer completely clean of [huh]

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Ohhhh Richard, I'm hopelessly hit by Polomania! I could eat them by the kilo :)

In DK there are some Chistmas cookies called Vanilla Wreaths (don't know if you have them too). We also have an old Christmas tale about some Christmas gnomes, that are absolutely addicted to eating the holes of vanilla wreaths. I don't remember the details, but I heard it a number of times, when I was a kid ... a cute little story, as far as I remember :)

Banky

One of the Regulars
Thanks Justin, I'm really excited about this one! I have a real soft spot for the thin ribbons and I've never owned a felted edge hat.

fedoracentric

Banned
Now, here is the funniest, most idiotic auction I've seen for a while...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-1910s-...814?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2586ccfc3e

Why this mope thinks that a common gibus, opera top hat is worth a whopping $3,0000 (yes I said three thousand dollars) is anyone's guess.

What planet is this idiot living on when every other gibus hat is going for about $100 or so??

I have no fear that posting this live auction will upset anyone here! LOL

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I took the time to look at the sellers other auctions, and it doesn't seem like his prices in general are unrealisticly high. It seems like the hat has a lot of emotional value to the seller, and that he doesn't know much about hats. In other words, we have a person trying to sell an inherited item at an overestimated price on an auctionsite for amateur/hobby sellers. Is that really all it takes to be branded as "an idiot from another planet"? Makes you wonder, what a bag of indulgence would cost nowadays!

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Three years or so ago, I knew nothing whatever about hats. I was a total "idiot from another planet".

Actually, there are probably some people around who'll swear I still am :)

In the case of this guys nice opera hat (if you like that kind of thing) it won't sell at his price so he'll try something else and in the end, everyone will be happy. No problem.

fedoracentric

Banned
In the case of this guys nice opera hat (if you like that kind of thing) it won't sell at his price so he'll try something else and in the end, everyone will be happy. No problem.

I doubt it. He's had this same auction up at least four times.

And, yes, he's an "idiot" because all it takes for a seller to figure out the market is to watch a few other auctions to see how similar items sold. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the same hat is selling for 99 percent less on EVERY other auction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails