Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Biltmore-Ha...BtMgKPZUK4vNZ%2FArPII%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I just purchased this Biltmore for my Husband, as he has wanted the color in a hat for some time and Biltmor hats come on eBay every so often with this color. It will need to be examined to determine if it will need to be cleaned, however I am sure that I shall have to send it off for some work to be done. The hat is a Homburg and is a size too small. So, that brim will need to be fixed to be worn more like a Fedora and may need a newer larger size leather sweatband installed to make it fit properly. I am also thinking that if there is no fade behind the hat band on the outside of the hat, to have something done with that as well. Daniel likes thin ribbon hats more than a wide ribbon. I think overall I got a fantastic deal, for what $10.00 plus shipping? LOL! I see no mothing or really bad stains. The seller hat two Art Fawcett hats listed that were really nice too. His "Wife" seems to be the motivation for his selling several hats he owned. Sad anyone would pick on their spouse for enjoying a hat! She should have been pleased for him to have that going on in their relationship, the guy may have had some really negative issues like running around on her or hitting the bars and getting plastered daily, and not just a enjoyment of having some nice Fedora's to wear.

Well his loss was other people's gain!

Enjoying life is much more fun!

Cindy

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Now, here is the funniest, most idiotic auction I've seen for a while...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-1910s-...814?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2586ccfc3e

Why this mope thinks that a common gibus, opera top hat is worth a whopping $3,0000 (yes I said three thousand dollars) is anyone's guess.

What planet is this idiot living on when every other gibus hat is going for about $100 or so??

I have no fear that posting this live auction will upset anyone here! LOL

This Opera hat seems overall to look nice and clean, until you peek closer at the brim up near the ribbon on the hat. Not sure what you fellows call that but it appears similar to some bacteria growth on the surface of the hat and I think once something gets growing in a hat you have a real issue to get rid of it plus the damage left behind would more than likely stay no matter what.

I have not ever found a deal on a silk or beaver hat that folds down in the correct size for my Husband and lets face it, where in the world would a person wear an Opera hat other than to the Opera? They seem to sell and most of the time the pricing is a bit steep, but the price on this particular one is what my husband would say, "nose bleed high'. I am certain the hat may not even be as old as the listing states, a person would have to be very sharp in hat-ology as I call it, to know that much about the brand name and clues for when the hat was actually made. But I tend to agree with the inhouse conclusion, that hat is over priced and the person selling it will eventually pull the listing or....take it down to a more realistic price.

Wish the seller of that hat all the best of luck with his listings.

Cindy

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Do some men still wear hats like that to the opera?

I have a pal he hates the opera but loves to wear those hats & tails & white gloves...so he goes to the opera a lot in San Francisco
I went to his surprise 50th & the deal was to stop at the elks club & hooch up prior to the opera...
well we surprised him good he looked good though...& he was comfy ... he did not make it to the opera...

back to topic
some ebay sellers like to display there hat collections like a museum they don't want to sell maybe just show off...
that could explain the silly prices

my pal that I mentioned above has maybe one of the largest collections of fine hats around & has a lot of those tophats
but he is not a fool nor a ebay showoff as he sells a few hats on the bay once in a while...good stuff but not a ripoff guy..

John Galt

Vendor
Item of interest, the first Von Gal I've seen since I started looking some months back. Too small for me and I'm tapped, but it looks to be in overall very good condition, and has the hat case....

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
It's been quiet on the hat front for women lately. I lost out on a hat last night but I wasn't really trying to win it. This is good news for my wallet although I did treat myself to a gently used cashmere sweater:cool:

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
AH! I totally forgot to bid on that one. Had it on my watch list and didn't remember it until now. That hat should be VERY nice. It looks like an early Portis Velour, which I haven't seen a whole lot of before. Great snag, Garrett!

I'm hoping it turns out to be a good one. Haven't seen a Portis velour before - this model is coined "Vel-Doe"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn