Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Great hat though!

+1 - and I can't help comparing it to the $400 semi-woolly Borsalino "Outback", I got as a gift a couple of years back. Yes, it's a lot of money for a (very nice) hat, but it's only 40% more than my Borsa-sheep - in a quality at least 10 times better. Do I think, that is really expensive? Well ... [huh] :)

Mystic

Practically Family
Several times in the past there has come up the suggestion of a thread of unscrupulous or shady ebay sellers....and buyers. A thread to warn and inform of such ebayers.

I have always been mostly against this except in extreme cases with proof.

However, as the prices go up, fees go up, shipping goes up, nice hats more scarce I am seeing and experiencing more shady and unscrupulous sellers and more non-paying buyers.

I, for one, am now re-thinking my stance on a thread for such ebayers with the circumstances of the incident.

Not promoting a thread such as this but re-thinking it as a form of venting another shady ebayer experience.

Ebay has it's caveats....but some things are just to obvious to be overlooked.

Edit: Now putting my soap box back in the closet.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
As I am perhaps interested at times with something even close to what would fit my Husband, I did happen to converse with the seller of the expensive "turf" hat....they had no idea at all about hats, other than the one they had for sale was indeed, not a very common hat. I think the seller not knowing anything about hats, made him desire to give such a long description.

I did not think the hat would sell at all for the price he was asking.

Back to cutting out coupons lol!

fedoracentric

Banned
However, as the prices go up, fees go up, shipping goes up, nice hats more scarce I am seeing and experiencing more shady and unscrupulous sellers and more non-paying buyers.

I am not so sure I am seeing more unscrupulous sellers. Few really have any clue what they have and most make idiotic statements about their hats as if they know what they have when they clearly don't.

That's what bugs me the most. They make definitive statements about what their hat is or isn't, then when you email them they reply saying "well, I wasn't really sure, so..." So why make statements of fact when you "aren't really sure"?

However, I will agree with one thing; the fees. It is getting to the point where it is a waste of time to sell anything on ebay as fees skyrocket and new fees are created every five minutes. The costs to the seller are getting too high to bother.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
You guys should have been here 10 years ago, when a pristine '40s Borsalino size 7 3/8 going for $100 was outrageous.

Brad

You guys should have been here 10 years ago, when a pristine '40s Borsalino size 7 3/8 going for $100 was outrageous.

Brad

Boy, are you ever right on that one, Brad. Shoulda been here earlier. My always-smoldering hat spark began, like so many of us, way back before the inty-net existed. If only my mid-life crisis began earlier. Theory is, that's what fanned the spark back into a flame.

We shoulda been here.

yttclothing

One of the Regulars
I am not so sure I am seeing more unscrupulous sellers. Few really have any clue what they have and most make idiotic statements about their hats as if they know what they have when they clearly don't.

That's what bugs me the most. They make definitive statements about what their hat is or isn't, then when you email them they reply saying "well, I wasn't really sure, so..." So why make statements of fact when you "aren't really sure"?

However, I will agree with one thing; the fees. It is getting to the point where it is a waste of time to sell anything on ebay as fees skyrocket and new fees are created every five minutes. The costs to the seller are getting too high to bother.

Use Etsy, I feel it's more of a community people are more honest and fees are lower I've put 90% of my stock on etsy and I can sell it at lower prices but make the same money, which works our better for the customer, eBay really irritated me with the charging commission on p&p it felt unjust.

Mystic

Practically Family

I personally never wanted or had any intention of selling anything on ebay.

I wouldn't be selling anything now except when i began buying hats I realized only about 1 in 3 are keepers......:(

Some things are due to the lack of knowledge and lack of conscientiousness.

I can live with hat ignorance......purposely screwing people is what bothers me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters