Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
bymusenu.jpg

eda8y4eq.jpg

ha8yru6e.jpg

ynu6ava4.jpg

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow,
Some of you may remember the bowler I bought the other day that turned out to
be 6 7/8 rather than the advertised 7 5/8 and arrived crushed due to pathetic packing.
They offered a full refund. What that means is I have to pay to have it shipped back
and stand in line at the post office because THEY incorrectly listed it and messed up
the packaging. I suggested they add to the refund an additional amount equal to what
they charged me for shipping ($12) and got no response.

Any suggestions on what to do next? Seems wrong to me that I have to pay for
their mistake.

yttclothing

One of the Regulars
This is from ebays t&c's

The buyer must return the item to you to qualify for a refund. The buyer will pay for return postage.
Here are the criteria for return postage:
Buyers must return the item using trackable postage with delivery confirmation, or risk not qualifying for a refund if the item is lost in transit.
If tracking or delivery confirmation is not provided by the buyer returning the item, and the item does not appear in a reasonable amount of time, then the seller is not obligated to refund the buyer.

Basically they are not obliged to refund but if you threaten neg feedback most will!

Last edited:
Ah, you bought that one, did you? I've had that on my watch list for a while, just to see if it would sell! I suspect that the case is not original to the hat. Although Tirard did make men's hats, I think that that is a women's hat box. Maybe at a stretch a carry case for a top hat, but probably not.

Hat #2

I don't know much about this one, but looks decently old.
4u5uduma.jpg

Last edited:

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Ah, you bought that one, did you? I've had that on my watch list for a while, just to see if it would sell! I suspect that the case is not original to the hat. Although Tirard did make men's hats, I think that that is a women's hat box. Maybe at a stretch a carry case for a top hat, but probably not.

Yes sir! I too doubt the originality of the case. The hat looks nice though. I'm not too sure of where to place it age wise. I think pre 40s is safe

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Wow,
Some of you may remember the bowler I bought the other day that turned out to
be 6 7/8 rather than the advertised 7 5/8 and arrived crushed due to pathetic packing.
They offered a full refund. What that means is I have to pay to have it shipped back
and stand in line at the post office because THEY incorrectly listed it and messed up
the packaging. I suggested they add to the refund an additional amount equal to what
they charged me for shipping ($12) and got no response.

their mistake.

This happened to me twice but not with hats, one was a fake Coach wallet and the other was a sweater that was advertised as the wrong size. Both times I had to pay for postage to send it back out of my own pocket and both times the sellers refused to reimburse me for it even though it was their mistake. If I were a seller and I saw that I incorrectly described an item I would reimburse the buyer for shipping both ways, obviously there are sellers who don't have the same moral compass. Good luck!

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
I'd have thought so, too. I can't remember - did the auction name the maker of the hat?

Not that I saw. Here is the description

Ancien chapeau melon avec boîte à chapeau. Chapellerie de luxe, grand prix hors concours médaille d'or. Taille 56 cm. Bon état, avec traces d'usage et légère oxydation sur la partie métallique de la boîte et clef absente.

Old bowler hat with hat box. Headgear luxury grand prize out of gold medal contest. Size 56 cm. Good condition, with slight signs of wear and oxidation on the metal part of the b.

Mystic

Practically Family
their mistake.

I have had some success with emailing the seller and admitting that I realize that buying on ebay is a gamble but some responsibility for wrong info leading to a purchase i would not have made other wise also falls on the seller.
I then ask to split the return shipping as I think it's only fair for the seller to pay half for their error.

If still no.......I say I will open a resolution case and let ebay decide.

Many sellers don't want a case opened even if they are within ebay rules and will split the return shipping to avoid the case.

Still not right...but saving half is better than paying the whole shipping cost.

I have an issue now with a seller that got mad at a low winning bid and refuses to ship the hat.

Roan

One of the Regulars

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner