Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Always loved those C&K ads. Congrats on completing the series, Ole :eusa_clap

Thank you so much, Garrett - I'm quite euforic :dance: :eyebrows: :dance:

Ever since I bought The Saratoga, I've been addicted. He actually also made a collage of several hats - "the extra 14th" - but that is very rare. I only know of one, that belongs to Brad. Maybe, some day I'll be fortunate enough to bump into it ;)

fedoracentric

Banned
YES! Just completed my collection of all the 13 Percy Edward Anderson ads with The Gallant. Took me three years :)

Congrats. It is always a great feeling to finally get the last item of a set.

But a question. How does one know that there were 13 in the series in the first place? I am not at all familiar with C&K, so I'm just curious how you know that there is a certain number of prints and what they all look like?

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Thank you. I know a few other collectors of these ads, who told me - and so did our own "oracle" when it comes to C&K, Cavanagh, Dobbs and Knox (prob. forgot some): Brad Bowers :)

I have them all on the HD of a dead laptop, that I have to dock up to rescue data. A fast Googling gave me the following: Here are nine of them - a fantastic thread, btw. And The Saratoga. The only cap in the series, The Hawtrey.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Way to go, Ole, welcome to the club! Next, you'll be collecting the Edward Penfield C&K ads from 1906-1910. lol

For those interested, here are the dates for the Percy Edward Anderson Saturday Evening Post ads:
August 24, 1929, p. 81 – The Rudswick
September 21, 1929, p. 161 – The Early Bird
October 19, 1929, p. 210 – The Gallant
November 23, 1929, p. 126 – The Game Bird
December 21, 1929, p. 61 – The Carol
January 18, 1930, p. 106 – The Cavendish
February 15, 1930, p. 129 – The Lincoln
March 15, 1930, p. 155 – The Harwood
April 12, 1930, p. 129 – Collage of Hats (Not part of the series of “Hat of the Month,” but also by Percy Edward Anderson in the same style.)
April 19, 1930, p.164 – The Ariel
May 17, 1930, p. 147 – The Boater
June 14, 1930, p. 142 – The Hawtrey
July 12, 1930, p. 111 – The Summerfelt
August 9, 1930, p. 92 – The Saratoga

One of these days I'll photograph them and catalog them on my website. My scanner is not large enough for a full page of the Post.

Brad

Last edited:

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I always wonder what people like that are thinking?

Selling on ebay isn't rocket science. If you have an item you aren't schooled on. You search what other sellers are selling it for. You watch for a while and see what they are actually getting. Then you set your price. Pretty easy preparation.

But these guys come in with a hat that might sell for $300 if they are lucky and set a buy it now at $700?? Who are these idiots trying to kid?

Yeah, word, yo. ... uh, I mean --------->:arated:

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
YES! Just completed my collection of all the 13 Percy Edward Anderson ads with The Gallant. Took me three years :)

That's great Olė! I have an old C&K that I believe is period appropriate. I'll send you photos. Maybe you can help me identify the model. It's for repair, having been purchased for $5 with no sweat (but with liner). It's an amazing felt, to be sure. I've always wanted to purchase the ads. You are rightfully proud to have finished the set.

John Galt

Vendor
Here is the C&K hat, which I suspect may have been part of the series. I found it in a Santa Cruz California antique store. I've laid the trim back on for the photo, but it did not have a sweat. It's had a Naptha dip. The felt is very thin and of high quality.

dy5yve3e.jpg

ytuhu6y9.jpg

qeqa8ahu.jpg

upuhu3us.jpg

Brad, Olé, Anyone have any insight?

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

John Galt

Vendor
Justin, it is a beauty, but needs some attention. I _think_ it's a Knapp felt and one of the hat of the month hats.

I paid $5 for it ;-)

Last edited:

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
John, it doesn't really resemble any of the hats in the ad series. None of them have that wide of an overwelt. The hats in the ads are just 13 out of several dozen different models offered in any given year, so it would be very difficult to pin down the exact model. Even if we would run across an actual hat from the ad series, it probably wouldn't list the model name in it, so we'd never be 100% certain in any case.

It's still a fine C&K, probably '30s based on the factory label, though that same style of label may have been in use in the 1920s. I haven't been able to pin down that information yet.

Brad

John Galt

Vendor
Garret, it's about a 7 1/8, but hard to say for sure. I'll measure it and post all specs in a more appropriate thread. I've posted all of the basic info I could glean, which is not much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner