Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Mystic

Practically Family
I'm not a Indy man. Probably the only hat wearing guy that has never seen a Indy movie.

While trolling around on the Bay tonight this Stetson Indy caught my eye because of the BIN price. $120.00.

Can someone explain to me why this hat went for $120.00? And, FAST too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-Stetson-1st-Gen-Indiana-Jones-Fedora-Brown-Early-1980s-Original-Box-/251445368701?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=4ylv3UxzPmKZ8LH3jfW56isiCNE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

viclip

Practically Family
There's a soft spot in my heart for Canadian-made Biltmore Rosellinis so I was compelled to become the successful bidder of my 10th specimen, follow the eBay link to see it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BILTMORE-RO...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The 2-1/2" brimmed lid was commissioned for Mrs. Dewson's now defunct hat shop & boasts her apparently well-known "Willie Brim" feature, named after former San Fransisco mayor Willie Brown. From what I've googled, it seems that the "Willie Brim" was known for being snappable, although that isn't unusual for any Rosellinis known to me.

Can anyone shed any further light on Mrs. Dewson's commissioned hats, in particular what's so special about the "Willie Brim"?

yttclothing

One of the Regulars
Mystic

Because someone wanted the hat and they were willing to may $120 for it is the easiest answer, there is no real value except what people are willing to pay, collectors want quality, rare, well made, unique items. People who want things just for style/fashion reasons want things quick (while it is still in style) So while $120 for a collector is a lot (maybe too much) for someone who wants it because they have an Indy party to go to or because Pharrell is all about the fedora at the minute and they want one to it's not that much to pay, about the price of a pair of nikes.

Mystic

Practically Family
Mystic

Because someone wanted the hat and they were willing to may $120 for it is the easiest answer, there is no real value except what people are willing to pay, collectors want quality, rare, well made, unique items. People who want things just for style/fashion reasons want things quick (while it is still in style) So while $120 for a collector is a lot (maybe too much) for someone who wants it because they have an Indy party to go to or because Pharrell is all about the fedora at the minute and they want one to it's not that much to pay, about the price of a pair of nikes.

I get the whatever someone is willing to pay thing.....

But, I'm going with Enthusiastic, yet uneducated buyer.

Just a quick search of Indy fedoras or Stetson Indy fedoras would helped.

Although I did see a Stetson Indy with a BIN of $255.

fedoracentric

Banned

Yeah, likely a buyer that knows nothing about fedoras. However, I would say that $120 isn't all that bad for a film tie-in item with tags and its box. For someone that collects film stuff, I can see that price being not that bad.

As to me, no Indiana Jones anything would spur me to buy anything. I did buy a Fed. IV last year because so many here like it so much--thought I'd try it based on that. Turned out I did not like it much at all and sold it off.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
As to me, no Indiana Jones anything would spur me to buy anything. I did buy a Fed. IV last year because so many here like it so much--thought I'd try it based on that. Turned out I did not like it much at all and sold it off.

I've never worn a Fed IV, although it looks to be a nice hat. My three Indy hats though (Garrison, Penman, Adventurebilt) are among my favorite hats and get a ton of wear.

I wouldn't buy one of those "official" Indiana Jones Stetsons, but I really enjoy the Indy hat style - still not seen any of the films though :)

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Absolutely breath-taking, CSmoothie! Sophisticated, pristine. Congrats!!!

Wow, that's lovely!

Thank you guys! I just wish it had a beautiful silk lining with the milliner's name and address embroidered on it like so many hats of that era, I'm thinking it most likely has been lost to time. Despite that it's a beautiful hat in a large size which can be hard to come by.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw