Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

barrowjh

One Too Many
holey, holey, holey. I will not bid on a hat if I can tell (or seller discloses) it has insect damage. In my experience, a hat that was stored such that the insects could feed on it, will also stink, a musty old odor that is hard to get rid of. It is the same smell I encountered only once, a long time ago before bidding on hats - the time my Dad got into the storage shed out behind his parents' house in Tarrant City, AL, to dig out the boxes that contained all of his old Navy uniforms from WWII era. This was in the 1970s, and the insects had gotten into all of that stuff and ruined it, and it all stank. So, when a hat arrived that had been ravaged by the insects, that smell and memory came back at me when I opened the box. I have several hats that have a little bit of damage that was undisclosed, but I will not bid on such hats if I know in advance that the bugs have had their way with it.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
it has a beautiful silk lining and the original tag is still attached

Great party-feature on that lining! Love the idea, that you - should it happen, you get a little disoriented - can take of the hat and find out, what direction you're facing. "FRONT" (in capitals!) with a double arrow ... that should rule out most misconceptions! Could have used that once or twice :cool:

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Great party-feature on that lining! Love the idea, that you - should it happen, you get a little disoriented - can take of the hat and find out, what direction you're facing. "FRONT" (in capitals!) with a double arrow ... that should rule out most misconceptions! Could have used that once or twice :cool:

:D

So many of the 20s hat that I have in my collection, have those exact instructions, the words "FRONT" with the double arrows. Believe it or not, it does indeed come in handy because many times I can't distinguish the front from the back on many of these hats. It was clever for the milliners of the time to agree to using standardized instructions for letting ladies know how the hat should be sitting on the head!

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My new Paizano, a Panizza -------->

Obviously of contemporary manufacture, doggone it all. But I'll remove that leather, hit it w/ steam & brush & should have another nice thin ribbon! :)

I had never heard of this maker, apparently they were "all that" and a close competitor of Borsalino, the old ones are said to be wonderful. Then....
The company went belly up in the 6o's & sold the name to another concern whose products (of which, I am sure, this is one) are not very well regarded. Kinda Stetson/Hatco type situation I gather.

Anyone have a contempo Panizza who can opine? [huh]

Last edited:

ManofKent

Rick - I've a couple of original Panizzas and they certainly give Borsalino a run for the money - the felt is beautiful. They were still producing hats at the original factory into the late 70's (I'm not sure when they closed). The factory is now a hat museum.

I've no experience with the modern ones, but I've been led to believe they're very decent modern production hats - I'd be interested in your views. Nice colour felt.

Rick Blaine

Rick - I've a couple of original Panizzas and they certainly give Borsalino a run for the money - the felt is beautiful. They were still producing hats at the original factory into the late 70's (I'm not sure when they closed). The factory is now a hat museum.

I've no experience with the modern ones, but I've been led to believe they're very decent modern production hats - I'd be interested in your views. Nice colour felt.

Thank you, my friend. I too am looking fwd to its arrival, stay tuned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou