Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Thanks! I swallowed hard when I saw the jump to $500, however, I was also glad my 'highest bid amount' was enough to win the auction. I will be reselling the hat though as i'm a 59 cm, 7 3/8 in. Open to trading for the right size if there's someone that's a 7 and has a 7 3/8. Otherwise I'm looking at getting it resized... any suggestions? I fired an email off to Optimo and called Northwest.

You paid top-dollar (at least for that moment, as established by your win) in a well-listed auction for a hat you're going to sell? Good luck.

Moving up 3 sizes will also cost you the sweat, a lot of brim and, if it still concerns you, most of the resale value of the hat - along with the expense of the rebuild.

This hat is a bit more expensive that I had thought.

Sounds like a university hat. I went to school on some early purchases that I could never resell for what I paid.

I would agree that resizing is not a good option. Enjoy handling it... should be about the best the industry had to offer in its day. You should be able to get back 80-90% of the purchase price when you are done.

fedoracentric

Banned
There are plenty of examples here of the 1951-53 OPS tag with the orange and red tag inventory/re-order tags. There are also plenty of examples of the red and orange tags after that. I never said that the white paper tag was not used earlier. What I said was they used the red and orange tag for much longer into the 50s than 1951!

CRH

Call Me a Cab
You paid top-dollar (at least for that moment, as established by your win) in a well-listed auction for a hat you're going to sell? Good luck.

Moving up 3 sizes will also cost you the sweat, a lot of brim and, if it still concerns you, most of the resale value of the hat - along with the expense of the rebuild.

Yup. Ouch!

All I can say is if I ever score a 100 for whatever price, I'd do my best to wear the dang thing out!

Michaelshane

One Too Many

This is what Optimo can do.This was a Stetson 100 I bought for $60.00 size 6 7/8. New sweat,liner re-block to 7 1/4.$100.00.

413F7952-8F8F-419B-96A1-09E3639E2895-12330-000015573CDA223D.jpg

R0016121_edited-1.jpg

R0016119_edited-1.jpg

It's not worth doing unless you just want a good hat to wear,because it's not a Stetson 100 anymore.

fedoracentric

Banned
It's not worth doing unless you just want a good hat to wear,because it's not a Stetson 100 anymore.

That is exactly the problem, of course. Once you rip out the sweatband and throw it away and change the liner... it is just a hat. Certainly it is yours to do what you want with it. But when you take it all apart and reconfigure it, the hat is no longer an example of a Stetson 100 (or what ever hat you've totally redone). It becomes just a hat, so you'll have to just appreciate it for what you want, but it isn't a "collector's piece" any more.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
That is exactly the problem, of course. Once you rip out the sweatband and throw it away and change the liner... it is just a hat. Certainly it is yours to do what you want with it. But when you take it all apart and reconfigure it, the hat is no longer an example of a Stetson 100 (or what ever hat you've totally redone). It becomes just a hat, so you'll have to just appreciate it for what you want, but it isn't a "collector's piece" any more.

Thanks for the idea for my new signature.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
All I can say is if I ever score a 100 for whatever price, I'd do my best to wear the dang thing out!
I thought the same when I got my 20x Black Gold. I did wear it for a month or more but ended returning to the older. It was a too much nice hat to "destroy" in everyday wear.

I think the same when I see westerns converted to fedoras.

Well I got this -> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stetson-30X...MtNNf9KEKJPK0o5Uqk1Ng%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
I always wanted a 30x Resistol or Stetson and a Stetson liner like that. Hope to be able to remove the glue and restitch the sweat band.

Turk394

New in Town
I thought the same when I got my 20x Black Gold. I did wear it for a month or more but ended returning to the older. It was a too much nice hat to "destroy" in everyday wear.

I think the same when I see westerns converted to fedoras.

Well I got this -> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stetson-30X...MtNNf9KEKJPK0o5Uqk1Ng%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
I always wanted a 30x Resistol or Stetson and a Stetson liner like that. Hope to be able to remove the glue and restitch the sweat band.

All, Good input. I will decide what to do once I lay my hand upon it. I lean towards trading for another 100 in my size, however will list again sans case as it was the case that I wanted most. From what I've gathered in a short amount of time is that the premium cases are rarer than hats. I'll do the unthinkable and store my most precious hats in the best cases I can get.

Stetson 100s and their cases are not particularly rare. They show up with regularity on eBay and in our classifieds - sometimes together, sometimes separately. They are representative of the best Stetson had to offer during the final years of its Philadelphia story.

All, Good input. I will decide what to do once I lay my hand upon it. I lean towards trading for another 100 in my size, however will list again sans case as it was the case that I wanted most. From what I've gathered in a short amount of time is that the premium cases are rarer than hats. I'll do the unthinkable and store my most precious hats in the best cases I can get.

Cases aren't that rare. Original plastic inserts ARE rare. I've got 2 cases, just sold 1 with a 100, gave my brother a 100 with a case & a "cousin" a 100 with a case...all of these in different sizes & 3 of the cases without inserts. Got a set of repro-inserts from Buler's first batch...I figure there are lots more out there & will pop up as the boomers move into retirement, cleaning out garages & attics of their parents' stuff....

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Cases aren't that rare. Original plastic inserts ARE rare. I've got 2 cases, just sold 1 with a 100, gave my brother a 100 with a case & a "cousin" a 100 with a case...all of these in different sizes & 3 of the cases without inserts. Got a set of repro-inserts from Buler's first batch...I figure there are lots more out there & will pop up as the boomers move into retirement, cleaning out garages & attics of their parents' stuff....

I tremble with excitement every time I climb into someone's attic.

fedoracentric

Banned
If your goal is to have a Stetson 100 set (Hat, case, keys, inserts) I'd keep the case and inserts you have, sell the hat, and then wait for a 100 in your size. Stetson 100s are not that rare, especially the later ones. A new one comes up every other month or so on ebay. I am one of those who shudder when someone rips apart a perfectly good hat just to make it a bigger (or smaller) size. It just seems like a raping of history.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
If your goal is to have a Stetson 100 set (Hat, case, keys, inserts) I'd keep the case and inserts you have, sell the hat, and then wait for a 100 in your size. Stetson 100s are not that rare, especially the later ones. A new one comes up every other month or so on ebay. I am one of those who shudder when someone rips apart a perfectly good hat just to make it a bigger (or smaller) size. It just seems like a raping of history.

Sadly none of them is a western version...

Michaelshane

One Too Many

It's just a hat,and like you said...
"Not that rare"

fedoracentric

Banned
Au contraire. I have seen several western versions of the 100 over the years. I even had one once. And the western versions sell for less than the Open Road-style 100s, oddly enough.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Richard great finds I hope they are all true to size, absolute snip of a price as well! French ebayers seem to very pleasant to deal with i've jsut ordered a load from France and they gave very reasonable p&p for 9 hats, less then I got charged on German ebay for one.

They arrived today. 50/50 keepers. The velour Flechet and the COL just need a brush and steam, the other two have mothing - the brown one very heavy and deep the other maybe pounceable if I trimmed off the welt but probably not worth the hassle. Still I'm happy enough for the price. Good price on that block (it was on my watch list but I missed the end...).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183