Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Hi Folks

In my humble opinion, posting links to an active ebay auction is beneficial to all loungers. What would be the down side to the gesture?
Regards.

CCJ

fedoracentric

Banned
Posting a link to a live auction (that you are not the seller of--in that case I get it) says this:

"Hey, guys, I know some of you are watching this and hoping to bid on it at a reasonable price, but darn it, here is a link to that auction just in care 100 others haven't seen it so that the price can be driven up to double what it might have gone for. Hope you don't mind. I'm 'helping' those who might not have seen it."

Then everyone grouses that the prices on hats are too high and they wonder why!

I don't care if it is *allowed* or not. It is a jerk thing to do.

fashion frank

One Too Many
Hold on now a minute

No lounger would post a link to a vintage item they were bidding on.... LOL

CCJ

More competition, lol

I got a real chuckle out of both of those quotes because they are both spot on .

Now I don't have a dog in this fight ,but I can definitely see both sides of the problem.
I have often sat here looking at an item and praying that no one else has seen it, naive as that may be , and the last thing I would want is someone bringing even more attention to that item by posting a link here .

Now that being said I myself am guilty of posting a link to a hat if I see one not in my size mind you and if its like a common size like a seven and the hat is in great shape and is going for a steal , I "feel" (key word here ) like I'm helping out someone, perhaps another lounger because I see no bids or no "someone has looked at this in the last hour " but again I could be all wet .

I weight in here because both members in question who do have a dog in the fight are both on my friends list and I would hate to see a dispute break out over an issue such as this ,after all everyone on this Forum is so polite and gentile.

Ok let me get off my soapbox and duck before a tomato comes my way.:behindsofa:

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

Last edited:
I look at the issue as helping members not hurting em..

If I see a great looking fedora, not my size, LOL that I feel someone here would appreciate and like to own, I feel it a service to pass the link along.
Better a lounger pay a few bucks more then some non lounger getting a deal...
We use our knowledge of fedora's to guide us on what we will pay therefore no harm is done.
My .02
Regards
CCJ

fashion frank

One Too Many

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
I understand wanting to help, but competition for vintage hats can be so fierce and cut throat that broadcasting a live auction is the type of help that bargain hunters just don't need, lol. Like Frank, I too have sat looking at an auction wind down to its final seconds hoping that it doesn't suddenly jump in price and then breathe a sigh of relief when it doesn't.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
On the topic of linking to live eBay links, just as some would consider it to be poor etiquette to ride a horse into a church full of sensitive ladies without doffing one's hat, many others also see linking to auctions as poor forum etiquette.

While some might see this as doing fellow loungers a favor, what about those loungers who have been patiently watching the time tick away hoping for a bargain that is now exposed for the world to see?

Worse still, at any given time there are a lot of non-members crawling the forum just waiting for this kind of opportunity - as shown in this screenshot from a few minutes ago...

members-L.png

Want to alert someone on the Lounge that you've just seen a hat auction they'd want to know about? Send them a PM. Better than having to compete with those 298 "guests" all of whom are sitting watching the forum intently (hoping for a link to that size 8 1/2 Whippet from 1939 that only two people currently know about) on multiple monitors with their cursor over the icon for that snipe site!

They never sleep!

fedoracentric

Banned
I understand wanting to help, but competition for vintage hats can be so fierce and cut throat that broadcasting a live auction is the type of help that bargain hunters just don't need, lol. Like Frank, I too have sat looking at an auction wind down to its final seconds hoping that it doesn't suddenly jump in price and then breathe a sigh of relief when it doesn't.
Exactly!

fedoracentric

Banned
On the topic of linking to live eBay links, just as some would consider it to be poor etiquette to ride a horse into a church full of sensitive ladies without doffing one's hat, many others also see linking to auctions as poor forum etiquette.

While some might see this as doing fellow loungers a favor, what about those loungers who have been patiently watching the time tick away hoping for a bargain that is now exposed for the world to see?

Worse still, at any given time there are a lot of non-members crawling the forum just waiting for this kind of opportunity - as shown in this screenshot from a few minutes ago...

Want to alert someone on the Lounge that you've just seen a hat auction they'd want to know about? Send them a PM. Better than having to compete with those 298 "guests" all of whom are sitting watching the forum intently (hoping for a link to that size 8 1/2 Whippet from 1939 that only two people currently know about) on multiple monitors with their cursor over the icon for that snipe site!

They never sleep!
Couldn't agree more. Alerting hundreds of people to an auction is the sort of "help " we don't need.

Ebay is a harsh enough ocean without "helpers" chumming the waters even more.

Keep your live links to yourself, folks.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family

members-L.png

They never sleep!

Well aint that a stitch! There are more guests than registered users and I have noticed this many times when logged on. Lurkers can be silent but deadly when it comes to live ebay auctions.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Couldn't agree more. Alerting hundreds of people to an auction is the sort of "help " we don't need.

Ebay is a harsh enough ocean without "helpers" chumming the waters even more.

Keep your live links to yourself, folks.

I agree. But fast forward 3 pages or more later within this thread and newer members or even older members who won't ever see this post will post a live auction so this is all for naught.

Which leads me to my next question..why was the ban lifted on posting live auctions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred