Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Au contraire. I have seen several western versions of the 100 over the years. I even had one once. And the western versions sell for less than the Open Road-style 100s, oddly enough.
But less than open road style. I've never seen one. Hope they continue to sell for less as I would love to get one.

It's just a hat,and like you said...
"Not that rare"

Yes just a hat. A quote on a Portuguese movie "there are plenty of hats". It all depends on the purpose of the buyer.

John Galt

Vendor
That is exactly the problem, of course. Once you rip out the sweatband and throw it away and change the liner... it is just a hat. Certainly it is yours to do what you want with it. But when you take it all apart and reconfigure it, the hat is no longer an example of a Stetson 100 (or what ever hat you've totally redone). It becomes just a hat, so you'll have to just appreciate it for what you want, but it isn't a "collector's piece" any more.

But it is still a great felt hat at a great price.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
I won this mourning hat. I had realized that of all the hats I have that I have never purchased a mourning hat, I won this for $66. I believe the hat is from the 40s and not the 30s as the seller stated in the listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1930S-Mourn...yX%2BE4NC3O0xxFMXisyQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Around the same time I won this 1940s topper. I thought the hat was so sexy, lol, that I was determined to have it at any cost, the bidding went up to $333 in the final seconds and I prevailed!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLIRTY-40S-...yX%2BE4NC3O0xxFMXisyQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

This is from the same seller, was won for only $137. I was shocked it didn't go higher since it is fur felt and from the 20s. I may be one of the very few that prefers wool to fur.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JAZZY-20-30...yX%2BE4NC3O0xxFMXisyQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Can't wait to get back home to pick them up from the post office. Especially the second one. I already know where I will be wearing it to and will post some pics of me in it when the time comes.

fashion frank

One Too Many
I won this mourning hat. I had realized that of all the hats I have that I have never purchased a mourning hat, I won this for $66. I believe the hat is from the 40s and not the 30s as the seller stated in the listing:

This is from the same seller, was won for only $137. I was shocked it didn't go higher since it is fur felt and from the 20s. I may be one of the very few that prefers wool to fur.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JAZZY-20-30...yX%2BE4NC3O0xxFMXisyQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Can't wait to get back home to pick them up from the post office. Especially the second one. I already know where I will be wearing it to and will post some pics of me in it when the time comes.

Nice score on the hats !
I must admit though the first one kinda creeps me out but thats just me .
It reminds me of the J.F.K. funeral with Jackie O, she had a hat just like that .

The like the last one the best .

Man I thought I dropped alot of dough on hats , Ha! I get off lucky compared to what you shell out for hats :eusa_doh:

Have fun enjoying your hats , classy hats for a classy gal!

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Nice score on the hats !
I must admit though the first one kinda creeps me out but thats just me .
It reminds me of the J.F.K. funeral with Jackie O, she had a hat just like that .

The like the last one the best .

Man I thought I dropped alot of dough on hats , Ha! I get off lucky compared to what you shell out for hats :eusa_doh:

Have fun enjoying your hats , classy hats for a classy gal!

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

Lol, it does look creepy. I can't think of an occasion where I could wear it, I just bought it because I wanted to diversify my collection and to add it to the hat site that I am planning. The most logical place to stage that photo will be at one of the nearby cemeteries.

There seems to be an uptick in competition for women's hats on ebay. I have been wondering if I have been competing against costume designers for theatre/movies. I really didn't expect that topper to hit even $250 but it went higher, I had to have it though, it is too sexy! Lol

yttclothing

One of the Regulars
Bought this from France for a poxy 36 Euro

I've given them a bit of a clean, really cheap for a silk top hat and leather coated case. Does anyone know if that filler in the top of the case is horse hair?
Anyone guess the age? I've tried a browse on the old interweb but nothing shows up under Maison Rouve, BHV however is a department store in Paris that dates back to 1871 under the name BHV

$_3.JPG

13690030245_d19c04b680_z.jpg

13690063413_26444ae015_z.jpg

13690362304_b1045fd6c1.jpg

13690045323_ced6245aa3.jpg

13689999125_57336bff88_z.jpg

nice topper, YTT. What is the crown height? Certainly looks like horsehair matting in the case.

Charlie, that is an interesting German license Stetson. Malaysian Seller might have applied some English from other listings. :eeek:

Charlie, that is an interesting German license Stetson. Malaysian Seller might have applied some English from other listings. :eeek:

That was my thinking, Alan, and why I gave it the "wiggle room" as being a possible language barrier. Still warrants a wink, ya think...?

fedoracentric

Banned
CRIPES I HATE IT when people post live auctions for which they aren't themselves the seller.

STOP IT! (On that German one above)

But I did just see one on ebay that I gotta get. It is described as an "antique stetson bolar derby."

A "bolar."

That isn't a language barrier, that is an intelligence barrier.

CRIPES I HATE IT when people post live auctions for which they aren't themselves the seller.

STOP IT! (On that German one above)

But I did just see one on ebay that I gotta get. It is described as an "antique stetson bolar derby."

A "bolar."

That isn't a language barrier, that is an intelligence barrier.

:doh: I wasn't thinking. Sorry, FC!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats