Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Landman

One Too Many
HB3, congrats on a nice hat. Looks like it is in nice shape.

It is interesting that the area where the sweatband is joined together was placed on the side of the hat and not at the rear. This is the first time I have seen that configuration. Has anybody else seen this before on a vintage hat?

Landman

One Too Many
Yes, the listing is a hodgepodge of contradictory numbers. When I asked him to check, he seemed to have no idea that labels behind the sweatband show the size. Had he listed the hat as 7 1/4 I expect it would have sold very quickly.

They had another hat for sale with no definite size. The posted inner opening measurements indicated a bigger size but I was hesitant to depend solely on that measurement. The hat did look big to me in the photos so I asked them to look for a manufacturing label on this one too. Turned out to be a size 7 1/2 so I bought it from them. I haven't received it yet but from what I can see in the photos it looks to be in decent shape. Can't see the entire sweatband and liner so that has me a little worried but I got it for a decent price. Below is a link to the auction.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121396683161?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Last edited:

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
HB3, congrats on a nice hat. Looks like it is in nice shape.

It is interesting that the area where the sweatband is joined together was placed on the side of the hat and not at the rear. This is the first time I have seen that configuration. Has anybody else seen this before on a vintage hat?

I have some Crofut & Knapp and Cavanagh Derbies with a side seam.

Brad

g.durand

One Too Many
They had another hat for sale with no definite size. The posted inner opening measurements indicated a bigger size but I was hesitant to depend solely on that measurement. The hat did look big to me in the photos so I asked them to look for a manufacturing label on this one too. Turned out to be a size 7 1/2 so I bought it from them. I haven't received it yet but from what I can see in the photos it looks to be in decent shape. Can't see the entire sweatband and liner so that has me a little worried but I got it for a decent price. Below is a link to the auction.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121396683161?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Looks like a nice one, Mike.

Landman

One Too Many
Thanks Michael. I like these old western Stetsons with string bands. The string on that one looks a little stained though. I have a bunch of horsehair bands I've collected over the years and am always looking for something to put them on.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
I don't understand what he's trying to sell. Is this a resume, or is there an actual hat somewhere in all this bullish!t?

A

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Looking at spelling and grammar, I get the feeling, it could be a bored school-kid at the end of his/her first summer holiday, trying to sell some of Mom's and Dad's stuff [huh]

John Galt

Vendor
Scored this rare No Name hat company "Vanity" model in a Whippet style at about 3:00 this am when I couldn't sleep. I am ecstatic, having searched for years:

ugytamar.jpg

u9upypu5.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
Thanks! I'd forgotten about reading that. I'm sure I had already been looking prior, if not, it seemed like years ;-)

The one I just bought looks to be post 1926, it's got the NY liner.

Last edited:

fedoracentric

Banned
Sometimes you just have to laugh. I emailed a guy selling a Wormser hat from the late 50s or so because he is calling it a Stetson hat, even though it is clearly marked Wormser inside the hat in two places. I told him it was a Wormser not a Stetson and he emails back saying, "but it was in a Stetson box."

Denton

One of the Regulars
I was prepared to pay a lot more for this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121400601556?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1426.l2649&autorefresh=true

I think it's an old one. It has some features in common with a brown derby (also Howard Make for Freeman Brothers) that Joshbru3 has posted, and to which he assigns a date in the late 1890s. Post #94 in this thread:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?357-OK-so-what-is-your-oldest-hat/page10

The graphic style of the Howard logo is one that I associate with the 1890s, but the firm could have continued to use the same logo for its entire existence. Howard seems to have produced hats for Freeman Brothers until the 1910s at least, and possibly later. Hahn Brothers, the shop in Milwaukee where this hat was actually sold, appears to have been in business for a long time, with multiple locations.

The style of the hat suggests an early date to me, but not necessarily 1890s. The crown looks tall in the photos, but it should be just 5 1/4 if I'm reading the tag correctly. The brim doesn't have an especially pronounced curl compared with Joshbru3's derby.

Whatever the date, it looks really good to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass