Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

fedoracentric

Banned
That darn whippersnapper Stephen Stetson was thieving from his big brother again. Saw this Stephen L. Stetson "The Avenue" hat on ebay today...

stephen_Stetson_Avenue.JPG

This youngster just couldn't help hisself!
:)

ccorsair

One of the Regulars
I had one like that once. But I thought it was from the 80s/90s not the 60s like the auction said.
Like i said I was sure it wasn't all they claimed but will look under the sweat band and check for tags..Get has more coming up next week he said.
He selling thing that belong to brother that passed away for sale but that could be story.. Look like great hat . will see when gets in if was work the bidding.

viclip

Practically Family
Yesterday evening I pulled the trigger on a Bordeaux homburg which had been among the remaining inventory auctioned off in the Beaver Brand liquidation (I got the sole 7-5/8):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=181490536038&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

These hats lack the silk liner, I suspect because the plant ceased operations just prior to installation of same.

For the "Buy it Now" price which I paid for my new Homburg, I'll gladly strut about sporting a linerless hat esp. in burgundy, which color I've been seeking for some time.

Nevertheless, I'm just wondering whether anyone knows of a source for Beaver Brand silk liners. I wouldn't mind retrofitting one in this hat & I'm surmising that somebody picked some liners up at the Beaver Brand auction.

Thx in advance for any assistance ... viclip

viclip

Practically Family
My suggestion is keep on the look out for a cheap Beaver Brand and buy it just for the liner. I've done that with Stetsons.

That's apparently my only recourse absent anyone fessing up to having acquired a drumfull of the Beaver Brand silk liners at the liquidation auction :(

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
That's apparently my only recourse absent anyone fessing up to having acquired a drumfull of the Beaver Brand silk liners at the liquidation auction :(

Or you can check if someone converted a beaver brand hat and replaced the original liner with a new one. I got a Resistol Stagecoach liner for a Dobbs West Stagecoach hat this way.

viclip

Practically Family
Yesterday evening I pulled the trigger on a Bordeaux homburg which had been among the remaining inventory auctioned off in the Beaver Brand liquidation (I got the sole 7-5/8):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=181490536038&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

These hats lack the silk liner, I suspect because the plant ceased operations just prior to installation of same.

For the "Buy it Now" price which I paid for my new Homburg, I'll gladly strut about sporting a linerless hat esp. in burgundy, which color I've been seeking for some time.

Nevertheless, I'm just wondering whether anyone knows of a source for Beaver Brand silk liners. I wouldn't mind retrofitting one in this hat & I'm surmising that somebody picked some liners up at the Beaver Brand auction.

Thx in advance for any assistance ... viclip

I appreciate the various potential solutions offered. I'll lurk around on eBay for a while, maybe a scrap Beaver Brand hat will surface or else a loose liner may materialize; it's amazing what shows up there

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I appreciate the various potential solutions offered. I'll lurk around on eBay for a while, maybe a scrap Beaver Brand hat will surface or else a loose liner may materialize; it's amazing what shows up there

Drop me a PM with your address and I'll rip (carefully remove) the liner from a Beaver Brand hat I picked up cheap and didn't get on with.

viclip

Practically Family
Drop me a PM with your address and I'll rip (carefully remove) the liner from a Beaver Brand hat I picked up cheap and didn't get on with.

Terrific offer Richard, very much appreciated!
I see that your message box was filled up while you were off-board, so I'll try sending another PM in a few days.
And welcome back!

B1ggles

Familiar Face
I've noticed, on this and other threads, that many of you guys are very brave at buying hats online.

I'm very particular that my hats fit right (not too tight, but firm enough to not blow off in the wind) and worry that I'd be disappointed. Sizes seem to be a bit variable, ie sometimes a 7 will fit me, with another brand it can require a 7¼.

Do you have any tricks for minor adjustments if the fit's not right, or do you tend to put it down to experience and sell it on? Or just wear it anyway?

DJH

I'll Lock Up
With vintage hats, the sizing can be all over the place.

The sweatband may have shrunk over the years, might have been stretched annd anything could have happened.

For hats that are a bit tight, I use a bandblock that Art Fawcett made for me.

This is the correct size and shape of my head and after sitting on tthere for a few days, the fit is perfect. If a hat is a little large, I pad the sweatband with a little foam.

If the hat really doesn't fit well, it goes back up for sale.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
If the hat really doesn't fit well, it goes back up for sale.
Yup, same for me. I've also gotten pretty good at knowing what length x width head opening will go on my noggin. You're right, though, that it's a bit of a gamble. Sometimes that's part of the fun! And when it goes horribly wrong, I come here for commiseration. :)

A

B1ggles

Familiar Face
Interesting point about the hat block, David. My brother-in-law worked for a old-style tailor years ago and, when they were clearing out, he gave me an ancient wooden hat former as he knew of my interest in hats. It weighs a ton and we just used it as a decoration/curiosity round the house.

However, it is minutely adjustable to all conceivable sizes and shapes. That might just do the trick if a hat was too small......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21