Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Thanks Alan, interesting.

I thought the hat band and bow seemed to be "different". I don't recall seeing a mid ribbon long bow with the frayed end before. Maybe because these older hats are out of my hat budget I just haven't seen enough of them. Do you think the ribbon is original to the hat.

I would say definitely original. It was a very common ribbon style on pre-1940s westerns. It's the Stetson XXXXX imprint that is throwing me. I don't see that as an early mark. But I could certainly be wrong. I do hope the hat surfaces here with additional information.

A lot of those over-priced hats sit on the bay forever too. Informed collectors won't bother looking at them. There's a couple ebay sellers I won't even bother with, and a lot of their stuff has been sitting on the bay for at least the last of couple years.

Actually, I think the informed collectors do look at them. Occasionally something very special does turn up. Had the 5XCB been my size, I would not have let it slip by.

The $1200 Stetson derby does include a walking stick with a head marked as 18k gold. If that were true it might be a bargain.

DTQ

New in Town
DTQ : Welcome to The Lounge. We have a very nice and extremely knowing member, mayserwegener. I'm sure, he has something to tell you, when he sees your question. He's an expert on vintage Central European hats.

Thanks TD I appreciate the welcome and the info on mayserwegener.

Dan, Nice to meet you. This is a very nice Trachten style hat made by K&R Lembert Hutfabrik, Augsburg, Germany (they are still in business). Based on the 100 Year label it's from the early 1960s. It has a really nice mix of colors with a unique natural finish (not precisely clipped). I had a similar looking one in a mixed gray. You can see it and more (I visited the factory a few years ago) on Lembert at this link.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/13-kr-lembert-hutfabrik/

Also please post it here when you get a chance.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?32103-German-amp-Austrian-Hutmachers

Thanks mayserwegener I will post it there. Just out of curiosity, do you have any idea of value? With the replacement liner It cost me around $30 and I'm wondering if I did poorly or well. Thanks.

Thanks TD I appreciate the welcome and the info on mayserwegener.

Thanks mayserwegener I will post it there. Just out of curiosity, do you have any idea of value? With the replacement liner It cost me around $30 and I'm wondering if I did poorly or well. Thanks.

I think you did well. The felt is really fantastic / unique! Thanks for posting it in German - Austrian thread.

Ds5160

New in Town
Bought my first auction item and receive it today, three days later. An Akubra Cattleman for $66. Hat seems perfect, and it fits well. Some break in and it will be more comfortable. My only issue will be keeping it away from my girlfriend. Hoping I don't look back in a few months and think I paid too much, but at this point it seems like a good deal.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
An Akubra Cattleman for $66.
[...]
Hoping I don't look back in a few months and think I paid too much, but at this point it seems like a good deal.
It was a good score.

OMG!! :eeek:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201134259385?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

On the other hand, it went for only four times the original selling price, rather than thirty or forty times the original.
Even so, it have a shudder brothers sweatband...

rclark

Call Me a Cab
I had my sights on that hat and was prepared to pay a substantial amount for it, but the price went through the roof. I cannot believe how badly somebody wanted that hat! Wow.

fedoracentric

Banned
I had my sights on that hat and was prepared to pay a substantial amount for it, but the price went through the roof. I cannot believe how badly somebody wanted that hat! Wow.

I have to say, I don't think that final price is too unexpected. It was a larger size and in great shape. $400 beans does not surprise me too much. Heck I've seen 100's in size 7 go for $350 in the past.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, I do feel better. I was going by other products where used can get about half of what I see retail.
I too do the same. I prefer to get a used good condition hat for $50 than paying $150 for one new in worst quality.

I have to say, I don't think that final price is too unexpected. It was a larger size and in great shape. $400 beans does not surprise me too much. Heck I've seen 100's in size 7 go for $350 in the past.
I too was watching it but i knew it would go stratospheric...

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
It seems like a deal to me. I can't understand why 100s and CBs don't regularly bring $600+, particularly for anything 7 1/4 or larger.

fedoracentric

Banned
I bet that sweatband has "RENSH" stamped on the back.

I'm going to disagree with that. I think it is the right, original "Shudde Bros. Houston" Stetson 100 sweatband. If you look at the enlarged photo of the hat, crown down in the hat box, you can just make out some sort of marking on the sweat where the round Stetson 100 logo of the era might be opposite of the Shudde imprint. I think it is the regular sweatband original to the hat. But without a clearer shot of that section of the sweatband, I can't say for sure.

Landman

One Too Many
Yes, I can see something there too when I enlarge the picture. It is too blurry for me to tell anything for sure but it does look round like a Stetson mark with lines above it. If it is there I just assumed the seller would have photographed it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy