Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Lotsahats

One Too Many
There guy from Israel on ebay selling Borsalinos that 52 to 54 " range. and the pricing is very low..
A hat's bran isn't always a sign of $$ from what seen.
Yup, and I'll bet you he's doing a solid business, too, picking up inexpensive second-hat hats in ultra-Orthodox neighborhoods, then selling them for half again as much, if not double. And the people buying are happy, too, 'cause they're getting a black Borsalino for a great bargain. Everyone wins!

A

John Galt

Vendor
Yup, and I'll bet you he's doing a solid business, too, picking up inexpensive second-hat hats in ultra-Orthodox neighborhoods, then selling them for half again as much, if not double. And the people buying are happy, too, 'cause they're getting a black Borsalino for a great bargain. Everyone wins!

A

I bought three in mid sizes at comparably very low prices. Not yet received. The seller reportedly stumbled onto a large lot of hats, now mostly gone.

ccorsair

One of the Regulars
I bought three in mid sizes at comparably very low prices. Not yet received. The seller reportedly stumbled onto a large lot of hats, now mostly gone.

I bet in month he will be back with more lol If there was one in my size Maybe.. He got a lot more than hats i think too.
Some time there some great fines like that.. Love them.

fedoracentric

Banned
Ebay has made it impossible to ship overseas from America.

I had an item I was trying to sell to a guy in Japan and ebay was adding nearly $90 more in shipping than it should have.

I see now why so many US ebay sellers are now refusing to sell to overseas buyers.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here

I had an item I was trying to sell to a guy in Japan and ebay was adding nearly $90 more in shipping than it should have.

I see now why so many US ebay sellers are now refusing to sell to overseas buyers.

Avoid their global shipping programme - you can manually set overseas shipping.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up

I can't complain about ebay's GSP. Faster and cheaper.
Using USPS it usually takes 1 month (priority or first class takes the same time) and the import taxes are higher because of my Country "stupid des-government tax raising"
With GSP it takes less than 2 weeks and the import taxes are much much lower.
For a package sent by USPS I payed 22 euros for import taxes of a hat+shipping total cost of 46 euros! From those 22 euros, 8 euros are just for them to make their work and 14 euros of taxes.
Using GSP I would pay 5 to 10 euros for import taxes!!
So a 46 euros hat, ended to be a 68 euros hat.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Have you guys ever witnessed this:

You see a hat that's up for auction that you like but not really love. You can either take it or leave it. The seller has set it at a starting bid of, say, $60 IN ADDITION to a BIN price of, say, $100. So you add it to your watch list in hopes that you can get it at the $60 price but someone comes along and places the bid and now the BIN price is off the table. Then, in the final seconds of the auction the final price shoots up above and beyond the BIN price so the winner ended up spending more than they would have had they just BIN.

You see a hat that's up for auction that you like but not really love. You can either take it or leave it. The seller has set it at a starting bid of, say, $60 IN ADDITION to a BIN price of, say, $100. So you add it to your watch list in hopes that you can get it at the $60 price but someone comes along and places the bid and now the BIN price is off the table. Then, in the final seconds of the auction the final price shoots up above and beyond the BIN price so the winner ended up spending more than they would have had they just BIN.

Yes, quite often.

tommyK

One Too Many
It is quite annoying to save an auction with a buy-it-now that is just a tad too high and then find that someone else didn't think that it was a tad too high.

I was that guy last month because I was tired of others doing it to me! Don't see too many 40's Stetson 15s in my size 7 1/2 long oval so i jumped.
_DSC1152_zpsc2554ee5.jpg
A few too many hats I really wanted had escaped me in the last month. an impulse buy I was really happy I did.

ccorsair

One of the Regulars

Yes Ebay i note is trying to get me to open up to sell overseas but I won't due to scams that are showing up and two the shipping calculate is just Way off.
I almost want to get the US poster inspector to go after them for price fixing . I did that to the record/Tape clubs when I was getting laser disc.. the cost for me to ship back was half their cost to send to me. i show that to the Local post master and they investigated it and made them lower the cost.
Ebay need more shipping pref's that help lower cost. it crazy that hat send from in state cost more than some twice heavy from the UK or China.

ccorsair

One of the Regulars

Won a Buy now on item that had a bit as i know the buy and the bid was on the screen but when refreshed the blocked out Buy now came back i hit it and got the item on the buy now.
the rule is that one a Bid happens the Buy now goes away after it hits a price range of the buy now.. You may see a low bid but that's the minim bid. the max bib is hidden to you bid.
Ebay has some flaws some work for you some work against you.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner