Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I know, tommyK. Once in a while ya just have ta do it.
Did that last month... not proud of my weakness but you never know when another one appears.

Yes Ebay i note is trying to get me to open up to sell overseas but I won't due to scams that are showing up and two the shipping calculate is just Way off.
I don't know how GSP calculator works as I cannot use it (not in the US). I have payed $60 for a 14x14x14 box, payed $30 for a 18x18x12 box and someone asked me $90 for a western hat box. Don't know if any of those sellers made a mistake
but find it very intriguing a box with the same size a hatbox payed 1/3 of the cost...

3e5ezy2a.jpg
Nice one! Almost like my Stagecoach ribbon.

John Galt

Vendor
Now that you mention it, I do believe you are probably correct. Given the relatively recent vintage of the sweatband, I would guess that Neil Shudde probably did this one, rather than his Dad, Weldon. Funny that the hat would have been refurbished here in Houston, ended up in Maryland, just to be brought back to Houston :) Given that, It's not that much of a surprise that it fits, it seems like it was fate :) The felt is a little stiffer than most vintage fedora's but nowhere near modern "western weight" I wonder if the brim was bound and the new mid ribbon added as a new part of the refurb, or if it was replacing similar original features. That we may never know.

I may have to take this one over to Neil's new store and see if he remembers it.

I understand Shudde Bros keeps records. Might well be worth the trip...

Lotsahats

One Too Many
So it's a live link, but this is the third time this size 7 Disney is on the block. You pinheads make me jealous; I'd by this one in a heartbeat were it not three sizes too small.

A

barrowjh

One Too Many
ccorsair - there is a Disney Diner thread, and in post #103 by Brad Powers we learn that Disney's hats were made by C&K through 1943 and by Lee after that. They were always top-shelf, really nice hats, stylish and well made (in comparison to contemporary production). Over the years the quality of just about all hats went downhill as demand dropped off; a Disney from any year should compare favorably to other hats made that year.

Monte

A-List Customer
The Royal Stetson I won came early yesterday. My email is not receiving my pics unfortunately. It is now the second best in condition of my '50s or older vintage hats. It is second only to my Stetson 25 OR, which is like new.
The Royal's blue gray felt is already proving to be a color I want to wear more. The hat is fairly large in proportion like my OR which surprised me a little. The ribbon is medium like a Playboy which I find more casual than a wider one. Its block shape has held nicely and I have bashed a diamond crease which I think it had at some point. The dents in the subsequent front pinch area are not there so I'm thinking it was worn without so I'm leaving it like that. The sweat shows little wear.
Overall I lucked out on it to say the least.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Random Thought:

I notice that the sellers have moved on to the movie The Great Gatsby when describing hats. It used to be Boardwalk Empire but I guess Gatsby is more current so you'll see a listing that says something like "1920s flapper cloche, excellent condition! Gatsby" :D

Mystic

Practically Family
Made offers on 2 BIN hats from different sellers expecting counter offers. Got nervous when both were accepted without counter offers.
Both arrived safely and I'm satisfied they will both make nice hats with some TLC and a new pug for the Marathon straw. I had been looking for Nokabout for a while. Like the thin light weight felt.
IMG_2083_zps91f35c94.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2084_zps99c0386a.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2085_zps055be798.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2080_zpse4ec6708.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2089_zps1003a20f.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2082_zps70c7c804.jpg
[/IMG]