Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
In looking at his finished auctions sales it would appear there are indeed a few foolish people buying his hats. I guess you can't blame him for his absurd prices if people are dumb enough to buy at those prices.

fedoralover

tommyK

One Too Many
I noticed he sold a lot of bigger sizes last year around Christmas. Those 7's and 6 7/8's aren't likely to go anywhere fast at those prices. But, he can ask anything he wants. Has anyone ever done the "make an offer" to him? Maybe he'd take a fair offer.

fedoracentric

Banned
Seems to me I recall that someone did an offer to him and said he went for it. But I don't recall any talk of what the discount from the ebay screen price was.

But, to me, these guys hurt us all. Mainly because anyone that has a hat will look at these outlandish prices and think every mottled, mothed, piece of junk hat they have is also worth "$700."

The problem with ebay is it isn't governed like a real capitalist market. Sure things won't sell if they are priced stupid, but in a real market sellers understand what they have to do to price things at least near enough to others selling similar wares to have the whole game make a bit of sense.

But on ebay there is no consequence for moron sellers and what happens is too many think they have something that is "worth" what it isn't and then the prices are driven up for no reason. Worse, sellers are under no market pressure to sell because they aren't doing this to make a living and that means they can be stubborn and stupid on prices.

In fact, in many ways ebay is the worst thing that ever happened to any collectible community.

Oy vey.

This seller has a handsome shop, good looking hats, nice photographs, accepts best offers and sells much of what he lists. Do you think he is not a Lounge member?

ccorsair

One of the Regulars
That seller has been here on the Lounge, too. So, he has likely seen many of us dissing him for his absurd prices.

Yep absurd prices indeed .. He has one Knox at $1000.. that would have to be one well made pristine hat or one that has long great history.
I see a few hats like one i picked up got for 3 time what I paid if not more. I really wish people would learn what is right to call vintage and understand fair pricing.
I at lease know just because it list from one sell at high price does not mean it really wroth that or more.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Some of those prices aren't that crazy when you consider that a new hat is around 175 to 350 ...The quality was much better back then.

ccorsair

One of the Regulars
Yes I looked some of the pricing on a new hat but then again as we know Newer isn't always better. These hats are not all in great shape or are they all vintage.
Just because it is older doesn't always mean it was made well also.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I can't believe I actually landed one of these!!!!

A 1915 Stetson "The Event"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NICE-c-1920s-Antique-Vtg-STETSON-Bowler-Derby-Fedora-Hat-/201212240161?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=WQCkQ%252B1hqefxHhQ96Mf4UPW9%252Bkw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

They only made this model for one season in 1915 (Stetson's 50th anniversary year). Just like my Stetson Pacemaker was only made for one season in 1916. This is the first one I have ever seen up for sale and I can't wait to hold it in my hands!! I love that the model name is stamped right in front of the sweatband.

Here's one of a couple ad images I have collected for the 1915 "The Event"

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Nice catch!

Looks fantastic, Josh... congratulations!

Yes fantastic find! Looking forward to the details.

I was watching that The Event Stetson. It looks pristine for as old as it is. It is the first one I've ever seen. Glad it went to a Lounger.

WowZa, Josh, and Mazel tov on such a "needle in a haystack!" Certainly a feather in your collective hat!

Thanks, Gentlemen! I was shocked to see it. Since it was literally made for one season during 1915, they are very rare. Just as rare as my Pacemaker. Its a great style with the rolled brim and classic bow, but the pre-1930 Stetsons didn't usually have the hats model name listed on the hat. So I am always excited to find these old Stetsons with the model names so we can date them and see the corresponding advertisements. I am really excited about this one, probably the most excited I have been about a "new" hat in quite a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart