Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

se couvrir

One of the Regulars
Stop getting worked up fellas! How lucky you are - Just be so grateful that you hat aficionados live in the U.S.A and even have the chance of obtaining fine vintage hats. We rarely have anything decent come up in the UK and the only other alternative is to buy from the U.S and to then have to pay exorbitant postal charges (mainly thanks to eBay) and duty which then makes a deal prohibitive.

Chris

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Consider me schooled, guys. I'll mind my own business and just go away

No way Tommy.... You just feel the way you feel and it's completely valid.

And this is the place to voice it.. I completely respect your stance ... Even if our opinions differ

That's what makes the world fresh and spirited

I've lost zero respect for you... And truthfully probably gained some

I hope you've lost none for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lotsahats

One Too Many
I agree with tommyk: this is not ethical behavior. It's taking advantage of a person who clearly doesn't know better.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I agree with tommyk: this is not ethical behavior. It's taking advantage of a person who clearly doesn't know better.

Any item is only worth what it is worth to you

If the seller feels that the price offered is sufficient then that is really all that matters

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Any item is only worth what it is worth to you

If the seller feels that the price offered is sufficient then that is really all that matters

As long as the seller is adequately informed, sure. And hey, who knows: maybe this seller, with full knowledge and intention, sold this hat for far less than he might have gotten. That's always possible. Maybe the buyer's going to discover something truly horrible about the hat that makes the agreed-on price too high. Maybe, maybe, maybe. But to take advantage of someone's lack of knowledge is unethical, whether it be on the buyer side or on the seller side; how good the deal looks doesn't matter.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I do it all the time and get great hats that way

sometimes you snooze you lose

blame the seller for agreeing to it

Agreed

After I lost more than a few hats when such-like happened to ME, I simply started to be the guy who contacts the buyer, at once, asking if they have a BIN price that would be acceptable.
If the seller is "tricked" then this means they simply failed to do their homework, to carry out their due diligence in order to determine a fair market value of this item. The onus is fully upon the seller. i.e.- ain't nobody holdin' a gun to their head, eh? [huh]

Rogera

And it's very easy to check the market for what your selling and see what the value is and what previous sales have been.

rogerstg

A-List Customer
Consider me schooled, guys. I'll mind my own business and just go away

Please don't go away, I've already learned much from you about hats.

Part of being able to disagree without being disagreeable is that all parties can usually learn something by being exposed to different perspectives.

Best regards,
Roger

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Question...? Is it up to the buyer to analyze the sellers critera and decisions they've made to determine what a product is worth to them...? Should we then, go on to explain to the seller, why their thought processes are flawed and their decisions are not in their own best interest...? And then proceed to offer them significantly more than what they are selling it for...? We are not their attorneys. We are not our sellers keepers.

Last edited:

40Cal

One Too Many
I sell on Ebay often (not hats)... I get messages asking about BIN occasionally but I always turn them down. I tell the buyer if they really want the item they should bid on it. It's the best way , in my opinion, to find out what the item is worth. Let the auction play out. On the other hand, If I were to accept an offer I certainly don't think I would have the right to be disappointed in the price I got.

tropicalbob

I worked on Wall Street for ten years as a compliance officer and often heard "caveat emptor" (let the buyer beware). I don't think I ever heard of "let the seller beware."

gcsdls

New in Town
I once sold a Jeep Wrangler for $2500. I had replaced the engine with a Jasper...only 24,000 miles on it. Brand new soft top...in fact, the only thing it needed was tires. I wanted it to sell quickly. Well, it did. And I've kicked myself for over 10 years now over it. I sold it. Someone bought it...for a GREAT price. Do I blame them? You know, I have never thought once about blaming them. It was my fault for selling it for less than what it was worth. It wasn't at ALL their fault for buying it for less than it was worth. I ripped myself off by selling it. Nobody ripped me off. Nobody compelled me.

In short, there's nothing wrong with buying for less than market. Nothing wrong with selling for less than market...if it's your item to sell.

photogravity

One of the Regulars
Stop getting worked up fellas! How lucky you are - Just be so grateful that you hat aficionados live in the U.S.A and even have the chance of obtaining fine vintage hats. We rarely have anything decent come up in the UK and the only other alternative is to buy from the U.S and to then have to pay exorbitant postal charges (mainly thanks to eBay) and duty which then makes a deal prohibitive.

Chris

It appears you know exactly how I feel as a collector of vintage lightweight English bicycles. Buying entire bicycles is horribly difficult because of shipping costs and getting parts isn't much better. I've purchased several framesets from the UK, and shipping typically costs upwards of 125 USD.

javadave61

Practically Family
How easy it would be to flip this entire conversation and talk about the vintage hats selling for $1000. I sold a gorgeous Homburg on an ebay auction that only drew me a whopping $35. The exact hat was selling for $600 at another auction (BIN). I'm assuming that someone listed it for that price because every once in a while, someone actually pays that price. If anybody dared pay $600 for that hat, should we call them a victim too? Should we seek to protect them? Again, a smart seller and smart buyer becomes one because they do their homework. Sometimes people are willing to pay too much or get too little simply because it's not worth their time to research it out. Time is money too, for some. Welcome to our free market. It's never been neat and almost always is a little bit messy.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
No one's arguing the market here. What's at issue is that a seller was convinced to pull an auction in exchange for a low price. Had the auction gone to the end with that price paid, hey, that's fine; everything's on the up-and-up. Auctions where prices go sky-high, hey, someone entered that final bid amount. The fair functioning of the market is not what happened, and that's what a few of us are saying is not cricket.

When a *seller* hides or distorts a piece of information, we all agree that it's a shady deal; eBay even goes so far as to aggressively protect buyers in that case. Ought to be the case the other way around, too, and in fact, eBay discourages the ending of auctions early (not as aggressively, of course).

A

DJH

I'll Lock Up
It can go the other way too.

A few years back, a seller listed a Stratoliner hat - BIN or best offer.

I made an offer that I thought was fair for both parties and was turned down.

The hat didn't sell and was re listed in auction format. I put in a bid and bought the hat for less than half of my offer that had been turned down.

You win some, you lose some.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR