Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

photogravity

One of the Regulars
It can go the other way too.

A few years back, a seller listed a Stratoliner hat - BIN or best offer.

I made an offer that I thought was fair for both parties and was turned down.

The hat didn't sell and was re listed in auction format. I put in a bid and bought the hat for less than half of my offer that had been turned down.

You win some, you lose some.

And those are the auctions where I just shake my head and laugh because the seller was most likely being greedy, didn't understand the market and ultimately made a lot less than they thought the item to be worth. Then they are bound by eBay terms to sell the item to the highest bidder. I find greed to be unbecoming and tacky in a civilised society.

I have picked up several deals where a seller was asking a BIN less than what I considered market value. Many were listed within an hour of when I bought, indicating I was likely the first to see it. I have no qualms about buying such an item and don't think I should contact the seller to tell them they are making a mistake. That's how you get deals. I've been selling, in one way or another, my entire life. You have to know the product you are selling, that's on you.

I see quite a few stingy Borsalinos Steve, but not many wider brims at a sensible price - maybe that's because I am not "in the know" like you!
Can't believe your wonderful finds.....

Chris

Indeed. Please share these sources!

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Earlier in this thread we were discussing what to do with your hat when there is nowhere to put it at a restaurant .
I though of you guys today while out to breakfast with my wife, daughter, and mom .
There was a perfect rare spot right under the table.
5b8a1b032f3b5a5e21f787acc84b52ba.jpg

I also picked up a sweet Dobbs box for $1 at an estate sale
522997f35fb9dad70dd2405a9f1b523a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
It can go the other way too.

A few years back, a seller listed a Stratoliner hat - BIN or best offer.

I made an offer that I thought was fair for both parties and was turned down.

The hat didn't sell and was re listed in auction format. I put in a bid and bought the hat for less than half of my offer that had been turned down.

You win some, you lose some.

Almost like my Stagecoach Turkey Creek.
Made an offer the seller refused. The hat didn't sell for 2, 3, 4 times (I always made the same offer when the seller re-listed the hat) until he started to lower the buy now value. I think it was when he re-listed it for the 6th time, he accepted my offer.

ccorsair

One of the Regulars
I had people message me for items too but the rules are once bid is made the listing can't be charged with good reason.(price listed wrong ,No longer available,Or so on)
Now i did make pricing error in with they item was payed for and return the fund and post the price was listed do to error. Ebay let that stand but they guy ding my rating. I haven't reported item since that and won't till I can do so with having it cost me in fake bids. I got ton of them for month had to turn everyone of them in.
I had to block them for harassment. I had item desisted after guy from France asked and said no on price..I know he turn me tell it bay it was banned item. Ebay said it was a legal item but didn't return my posting ..leveling me to re-post it .. I didn't but the guy from France kept sending message asking to buy the item.. I did tell eBay about the guy and they said It could be he was the He who reported it but could not tell me but would look into it ..the message stopped.
I did ask some if they could do buy now price soon on an item as I had credit that was ending soon then the auction and the cost was $25 more than what had.. so message them their answer was they were building the items custom so they open a second auction with the cost at what I offer. Now that rare event but it can happen.
As for buy out right before the bids are made that is up to the seller . If they do it off ebay they risking a lot too if they have good standing account.
Looking at lot of the rules days as I have irons in the fire for work Ebay is one of the place for a cyber security gig bu have no clue if it will happen.
I make my bids last day and hope for the best .. I like doing the last 10 second thing .. more rewarding to know i out bidden or guess some price last 4 seconds.
I got 11 hats last year all very nice and will get more once working again full time. I know that asking for the sale for some selling an item you want happen ,I done it but with in the rule. ebay wants it's cut . They hate seller dealing behind their backs .. I bought things from sellers but the items were no listed on the site. Ebay had no say in that..
BTW from my dealing with ebay is that NO email between selling and buyers are Private. I canceled a bid on an item as i found it cheaper. Ebay saw emailed asking to be let out of the bid. The seller was not . But i filed first and they could see from his email he was being abusive to me and the person I was talking to from ebay said they had read the seller message to me. So what is said on ebay it read by ebay. So protesting an auction that ends could get a lot of people in trouble if they check the message record.
ebay at some point will not be the only place but for now it is the main site to sell thing and buy them too.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Because I wear a 7 7/8 hat, I've never been able to participate in the vintage hat search as so few (pretty much none) come up for sale in my size. One thing I've always wondered about, though, is how you clean the hats when you receive them. I'd be a bit leery of putting on a hat without doing so.

DOGMAN

One Too Many
Just got this in the mail today.It's crumpled and dirty.But no moth bites.The sweatband is a little crumpled like the felt,but it is still soft.After I clean it block it and put on a ribbon this will be a great hat.Always wanted a Nutria.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Just got this in the mail today.It's crumpled and dirty.But no moth bites.The sweatband is a little crumpled like the felt,but it is still soft.After I clean it block it and put on a ribbon this will be a great hat.Always wanted a Nutria.

that is an absolutely beautiful hat and great score... with a little TLC she will snap right back into shape

everything that matters is perfectly in tact

congrats on an awesome haul

DOGMAN

One Too Many
Post pics when you have cleaned it up,please.
I sure will.Have a couple of other projects I'm working on now so it will be a little while.But that being said what's one more project to do at the same time.So I think it will get a naptha bath today.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
If this has been discussed and I just missed out sorry, but selling things on ebay today and I notice they now take a 10 percent commission on sales and shipping? Its getting insane selling on there

Mystic

Practically Family
If this has been discussed and I just missed out sorry, but selling things on ebay today and I notice they now take a 10 percent commission on sales and shipping? Its getting insane selling on there

I agree...

Regardless of the "pros" for using ebay. I think they are taking undue advantage.

Haven't bought or sold a hat for almost a year because of the array of fees cutting into profits and raising prices.

I bought one pug because the price was right, free shipping and it was NOS.

If I'm not on there to sell. I don't buy as often either.

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
History teach besides ebay seller fees; ppal fees, state tax, federal tax, accountant fees, shipping materials and time. Selling hats is an expensive hobby to say the least.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot