Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ROYAL-STETSON-John-B-WHIPPET-Black-Felt-FEDORA-Size-7-1-4-EXC-COND-/191693818200?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=FAp9wy47bOILL35KO%252BJYFqe%252BE10%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

$526 for a Black Whippet in 7 1/4?????? Seriously???

I will never understand why anyone would pay that kind of money for a Whippet in any size. It was an "average" quality hat that Stetson produced. OPS places it between 1950-1953. Black and brown hats usually sell for less than any other color and I can guarantee that this same exact hat minus the Whippet nameplate would have sold for $100-$200. [huh]

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Here's a gripe...
Last week I ordered some vintage straws from various places that I suspected strongly of being parabuntal. One such hat was a deep black one from ebay that I was really looking forward to receiving. Got an email on the 24th stating that the item had been shipped. Six days later, already after the supposed arrival dates had passed, I get an email from the seller. She lost my hat somewhere between when I bought it and when she was going to send it, and waited that long to tell me. Sure I'll get a refund, but a refund is not a beautiful black vintage straw body.
Anyone else ever have a similar thing happen?

g.durand

One Too Many
moe--it wasn't a hat, but I won an auction on eBay several years ago only to have the seller tell me the item was no longer available. I had almost sent a payment but decided to contact the seller to arrange for a pickup and a cash payment since he wasn't far away. I expressed my displeasure, to which the seller replied that I didn't know how Ebay works. I complained to Ebay, but I got no response. I could have posted negative feedback for the seller since the auction had ended legitimately, but I didn't, fearing retaliatory negative feedback. This was before eBay changed its policy disallowing a seller to post a negative rating for a buyer. If it were me I would consider posting a negative or a neutral rating for this seller since the seller did not deliver, especially after you were notified it had been shipped.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
I had the opposite sort of thing occur: I put up a hat for sale with accurate pictures and measurements, the bidding got intense, the buyer paid, and I sent the hat. A week later, the guy wrote to me to say that the hat wasn't the size that I said it was, despite the fact that I'm very careful with measurements. I'm sure it was a simple question of buyer's remorse and that the guy regretted spending what he did--which is not my problem. I eventually took the hat back against my own policy, and then blocked him from bidding on any of my other auctions.

A

barrowjh

One Too Many
moehawk - your situation happened to me once. I had won a beautiful 6 7/8ths for my wife at a terribly low price - not my fault there was nobody else bidding on it. I'm fairly certain the seller decided to keep it. I was told that the USPS must have lost it, was refunded, then won another almost identical 6 7/8ths shortly thereafter. Not many people bidding on 6 7/8ths and size 7, or, at least there were very few 5 years ago, so I soon forgot my anger.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
I was going to do the negative feedback, after my refund of course, but the seller sent a second email apologizig even more sincerely. Explained that I had ordered in the midst of her family moving to a new house. Also, if it turns up I will be immediately notified. That, plus a few hours left me considerably less steamed than I was when I first posted.
I do hope it turns up.

g.durand

One Too Many
Even with the shipping cost listed at four times the cost of the hat, still an unbelievable deal as more and more marginally valuable vintage hats get posted with exorbitant asking prices. A unique brim binding on this one, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24