Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Allow me to wax philosophical: What is a Whippet? A bound brim and a wide ribbon on a hat of certain dimensions containing a specific label. I've had a couple of Whippets come and go through my collection over time, and I have to say that compared to other hats I still own, they were not that special. :) Still, I understand the desire.

A

have you owned 40s Whippets ?

I have about 50 vintage hats in my current collection spanning the 30s 40s & 50s from a wide rage of brands and it would be very difficult for me to say that the felt on any of them comes close to my 40s Whippets .... especially the VitaFelt

and that is counting other hats from that very era and before

that being said ... some of the prices being asked for Whippets is absolutely ridiculous

especially ones that have nothing particularly special about them

I think some sellers just see "Whippet" and think they ask the bank for them and people will jump

Last edited:

Lotsahats

One Too Many
have you owned 40s Whippets ?

Yup. But my Disney 15 from the early 40s is a better hat all around, as is my Mallory XV and others.

I do get it--I, too, was infected by the call of the Whippet, and perhaps my distance comes only from having owned a couple. Like Moehawk alluded to, sometimes there's an itch you just have to scratch yourself, and like Panadora said, happiness is (almost) always a good deal. Ultimately there's nothing rational about hat collecting, so go in good health, and wear in good health. :)

tommyK

One Too Many
Vintage Whippets are great hats. The quality of Stetson's Royal line was absolutely fantastic in the 40's and 50's. I feel mine are worth every penny that I payed for them (and yes, they were some of my more expensive hats). I've got lots of Stetson hats from the same time period that I like just as well but the Whippet is an absolute classic combination of style, elements and proportion. It's sought after for a reason.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Hey MOON, nice hat. Good price. Good luck. Sumthin new stylistically for you?

yeah Bob

I don't own a hat of that style and that crown looked to delicious to not make an offer

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
SWEET one, Moon! I'll check my Schoble when I get back today...

thanks ... I'd appreciate that

I hate falling in love with a picture ... I hope it looks half as delicious as is does on that pic

I figure I can't really lose ... I offered them $35 and they took it .... so what the hell

Great pick up, Moon. Sweet brown hommie. I have a Mallory Ten that is similar in style.

IMG_0743.jpg

Panadora

Practically Family
Damn - It turns out that my 20 year old French hunting coat (for witch I bought the expensive green Tardy) is ruined :eusa_doh:

I more or less always wear my Mallory Wippet clone. My true head size is a 7 LO but the Mallory and three of my other hats are labeled 6.7/8 so a couple of weeks ago I ordered two 6.7/8 hats and a hat stretcher to see if I could dig into wonderful world of this small size on a regular basis (not just the big 6.7/8s from sellers who really knows about sizes). The cheap of the two test hats and the hat stretcher haven't turned up yet, but my new Wippet turned up yesterday and to my initial big relief I could wear it right out the box. Unfortunately it isn't quite comfortably enough, it does needs a little stretching and now I have to find out how that works?

wippets2.JPG

Last edited:
... so I snagged this hat because I absolutely love the look and submitted a very affordable offer that was accepted

to be honest I know nothing about the make ... and apparently the seller doesn't either because I believe who they have down as the maker is indeed just the store it was bought from

if anyone recognizes the crest or has any info on this hat it would be greatly appreciated

is it a Schoble ?

Yo, Moon;

Not the same as yours, but there's a Schoble thread to check too.

DSC01742.jpg DSC01745.jpg DSC01746.jpg

That's a real beaut you got there, my friend!

Alan, if you can believe it, I'm speechless! Amazing find! Just amazing!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24