Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Bob Smalser

One of the Regulars
Jabos said:
I have observed that on the FL it seems like "everyone" has one and that they are "a dime a dozen", '60s or older. That is my impression. It is also my impression after my "extensive" ;) two month study of Ebay hats that I don't notice that many Open Roads.

Are you looking for one to wear or collect? I come across at least 5 OR's or clones a week there.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Jabos said:
I have observed that on the FL it seems like "everyone" has one and that they are "a dime a dozen", '60s or older. That is my impression. It is also my impression after my "extensive" ;) two month study of Ebay hats that I don't notice that many Open Roads. Are most of the older Open Roads in a western crease that causes me to overlook them? Am I just still a bit "wet behind the ears" at this? Okay, no more corny catch phrases.

Here's a 7 1/4 3X Open Road with an open crown that went for only $89.

7d07_12.JPG

Even has a hat pin!

!BPMGYuw!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-EMEjlLlwLjKBJy(ZEb,Hw~~_12.JPG

I think someone's going to be very pleased when they get that box in the mail. Wasn't me, though. :p

Regards,
Tom

Tiller

Practically Family
Belegnole said:
I watched that stretcher knowing it was going to go for a couple more than I was willing to pay. I watched it and I really really wanted it, but I really don't have that type of money right now. It sure looks nice though......

Same here Belegnole. It is a beautiful stretcher though.

Bob Smalser

One of the Regulars
Jabos said:
Thanks Bob and Tango, I guess I just need to open my eyes a bit. :eek: Just looking to wear.

Then buy a Resistol like the 4X I'm wearing in my avatar. They go for a pittance of what Stetson's do.

Same felt quality as Stetson, although even the older Resistol Beaver 100's (below) lack some Stetson detail like adjustable sweatbands and wind cords.

Although Resistol made named models like San Antonio and Wide Plains, most Resistol OR clones are unmarked, so you have to look at all of them.

Although like many western hats even the expensive ones seem to have more chemical stiffener added than an equivalent Stetson, a tea kettle for steam, a copper saucepan block, a wet towel and a steam iron convert the cattleman crease to whatever you like.

354625932.jpg

Jabos

A-List Customer
Thanks for the tip! I will definitely keep an eye out for the Resistol 4X. I am looking to add variety to my collection and can't afford to spend an arm and a leg on every hat. That one in your avatar looks great. :eusa_clap

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I'm surprised that sold so quickly, despite the low $29 BIN. It's only got about 1/2 of its felt left.

warmentrout

One of the Regulars
Jabos said:
Thanks for the tip! I will definitely keep an eye out for the Resistol 4X. I am looking to add variety to my collection and can't afford to spend an arm and a leg on every hat. That one in your avatar looks great. :eusa_clap

Here are a couple of Resistol conversions I did, no before pics of this one.

0331092111.jpg

Before

Resistol1.jpg

After

0331092112.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Ahoy there, Kilty! Lookin' a wee bit smug in that finest of Cap'n hats there aren't ye?

Actually that looks like it fits perfectly. I sat on the riverside here in LAKE County the other day at a little tavern. Many of the boat owners going by were wearing similar rigs, but I'll bet there's were new-ish. I'd prefer yours any day.

DoctorJ

Familiar Face
Dobbs, 7 3/8, - 2 1/4 brim

I snatched this early last week. It had no bids and a "Buy It Now" option for $65. The ticker said that I was only the 4th person to view the page. It seemed a reasonable price to avoid a five day auction.

245153628_tp.jpg
245153521_tp.jpg

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
DoctorJ said:
I don't blame you. With the approach of summer, I've been thinking a lot about straw... You are lucky (no pun intended) that I didn't see that first! ;)
Heck, down here in L.A. I've been wearing straws for a couple of weeks now. In SoCal, it seems, that the felt season is about three weeks long!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy