Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Bob Smalser

One of the Regulars
carouselvic said:
The hat has a new sweat and liner, that's why the lower edge of the stamps are frayed. IMHO

Aha! But sure doesn't look like it from here. But could be, if it was done a long time ago. The liner and sweat appear original to the age of the hat. And it has a size tag on the sweat, which isn't usually done with replacements.

Thanks.

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
jec said:
I was the one that asked about the lightness on the crest of the crown - but wasn't ready to go for the hat at $100. Hope it meets your expectations. And yes, the bidding probably would have eventually gotten that high anyway

Enjoy it - and let's see photos when the hat arrives.

Will post pics as soon as I have it.

I didn't quite understand the seller's logic. From what I've seen on FL and a few eBay auctions, he probably could have gotten more than $100 for an Adam in good shape. But a $49.99 starting bid, and a $100 buy-it-now. [huh]

Seems like he decided he wanted $100 and set up his auction to get it. I mean, starting at $50, it probably wouldn't have taken more than two or three bids, at most, before someone just went ahead and bought it for $100.

Eh, what do I know? The hat looks like it's in good shape; it's my style; I need a good brown hat; I had a hundred bucks. Seemed like a good match.

Maybe someone else has sharper insight into the logic of selling on eBay.

DoctorJ said:
209a.jpg
209.jpg

Very nice Habig!

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Portis Sterling

I probably bid way high on this, but based on email conversations with the seller, I suspected it was in much better shape than the picture. All I did was brush it up, then put the crease back where it was. I am very impressed with Portis hats, and I think whoever won his other auction (another Portis, and Resistol) is going to be really pleased!
Portis Sterling Ebay pics

Here it is after brushing:

Portis.jpg

PortisLbls.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
$50 for a hat is not way high - especially for that hat. I think you got a pretty good deal on a very nice hat.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Lefty said:
$50 for a hat is not way high - especially for that hat. I think you got a pretty good deal on a very nice hat.

Thanks Lefty - I meant based on how ugly the pictures looked. The ugly pics really put me off bidding on his other two hats, but now I wish I would have. I think this Resistol was probably in fantastic shape, just dusty:

Portis Super-Lux and Resistol

billyspew

One Too Many
Gilgamark said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150335301019#description

Went ahead last night and bought this Adam on the $100 "Buy-it-now" price (plus $15 shipping). Looks like the hat is in good shape. From the research I had done and from lessons learned on previous auctions, it seemed to me this hat would go for at least that much. Also, the minimum bid was $49.99. Seemed to me that someone was going to snag it for $100, and I've wanted a vintage brown hat for a while. [huh]

Thoughts?

Dead ringer for my Adam Johnnyphi, the ribbon work should be great with the brim binding being a slightly lighter version of the main ribbon work:
3258214705_95715bd4ae_m.jpg

3258214767_d34474332d_m.jpg

JJWord

Familiar Face
Sniped this Akubra on Monday. Description says Snowy River but the thin ribbon reminds me more of Camp Draft. Anyways the price was way right for an Akubra, and even more so since it's my first hat and didn't take much to justify it to the wife.

I can't wait to get it in my hands to see how "dusty" it is. I'm wondering if the brim will need any work, it looks rather floppy.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
That one is very cool. Almost looks like a purple ribbon -- nice. And the Premier Quality Pliafelt is outstanding.

Cheers,
JtL

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
The seller said the previous owner wore this Knox to his wedding, in 1947.

239514173_tp.jpg

I normally wash and reblock all used hats, but I don't think I will, with this one. Here's what it looks like with just a little tweaking. It's the only hat I own with a totally non-functional wind trolley, tacked down so firmly I don't dare try to clip it loose. There are a couple of moth nibbles, but I can't manage to make them show up in a picture.

P1070309.jpg

The Knox label is embossed on the sweatband, but is so faint it won't photograph. However, I was especially taken with this logo in the liner.

P1070310.jpg

I finally have a hat that is known to be older than I am! (I was born in 1948.)

P1070317.jpg

DoctorJ

Familiar Face
Rare Adam "Double Crowner" Deluxe

It finally arrived today!
It's in pretty good shape overall--there are a few small moth bites on the underside, but they're barely noticeable. With only one hundred of these ever produced, this was a steal at $275!

DoubleCrowner.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
JT, that's fantastic. I love the color, the history, and the logo.

DrJ, sorry, but Paddy beat you to it.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
J.T.Marcus said:
The seller said the previous owner wore this Knox to his wedding, in 1947.

P1070317.jpg

That's really a gorgeous hat, and another great story behind it.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
DoctorJ said:
It finally arrived today!
It's in pretty good shape overall--there are a few small moth bites on the underside, but they're barely noticeable. With only one hundred of these ever produced, this was a steal at $275!

DoubleCrowner.jpg
What the heck is that? :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy