Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A Stingy Boater....

I don't think I've ever seen a Stingy Boater before, has anyone here?

7f85_1.JPG
!BPVyC6!!mk~$(KGrHgoOKiEEjlLmfVPLBJzLCuF3Uw~~_1.JPG
!BPVyG(!CGk~$(KGrHgoOKiMEjlLmVOYOBJzLDFcE!w~~_1.JPG

Here's the Link.

Very cool Lid. :eusa_clap

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Wow! I've got to say it again, wow, Lefty, that's quite a fantastic score! An early-1930s (at the newest) long hair finish hat in pristine condition, and 7 3/8 to boot! :eusa_clap

Brad

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys. :)
It's a little out of my hat comfort zone and looks like it needs a little brushing for that nice swirled look, but I've never seen that maker and the sweat seems to indicate that it's a pretty old hat.

Edit: wow - early 30s? That's great. I'm a 7 1/2, but couldn't pass this one up. I hope I can make it work.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
By the late-'30s most hat companies had switched to a taped-and-reeded sweatband, and were stitching the rear seam closed, rather than an adhesive tape.

I haven't heard of Hat City Hat Co., but their hats were probably made at one the big factories in Danbury and branded for their shop, rather than this being a separate manufacturer.

Edit: I wouldn't stretch the hat to try and make it fit. That adhesive tape on the sweatband seam will split right away because of its age. Heck, it may even split folding down the sweat to look for labels.

Brad

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
It's the size tag that throws me. For some reason, it indicates a newer hat to me, while the unreeded, non-stitched sweat signals an older hat. Of course, I've seen far more Stetsons here than anything else.

I hope the underside of the sweat reveals more info. as to the manufacturer, because a quick Google search gets me nothing on the marque.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Lefty said:
Thanks TY.

I saw the Gay Prince, and loved this:
"As in the fotos the hat is wrinkled from storage which is the way it is suppose to look."

The Hippodrome looks like a new one. Do you have any more info. on the maker?

Yeah, I got a kick out of that description as well!

At the time I bid on the Hippodrome all I knew was that the name sounded familiar, which may mean I've got one in the basement. A quick search on the name and I found the their web site. I recall seeing it before, so I must have searched for them previously. Might have been a mention of them elsewhere here, or, as I said, I may have one downstairs. They're a "full-service hatter" in Baltimore, MD.

Cheers,
Tom

Added: There's a number of threads on them here. Google Advanced Search strikes again!

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
Lefty said:
Thanks guys. :)
It's a little out of my hat comfort zone and looks like it needs a little brushing for that nice swirled look, but I've never seen that maker and the sweat seems to indicate that it's a pretty old hat.

Edit: wow - early 30s? That's great. I'm a 7 1/2, but couldn't pass this one up. I hope I can make it work.
Now I know who was bidding against me....

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Lefty said:

What a Poodle! That one was also on my watchlist.

Dating? Glued rear swetaband vs. newer apearing price tag. Hm, there are later sweatbands that feature the same connection (bowlers!). Do all post 30ies feature a sewn rear connection rather than a glued paper joint? Is there proof of ohter early tags of this style?

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Refurbished Cavanagh

Very nice hat, Lefty! I was watching it as well, but did as much digging around as I could on the net, and couldn't find any references to that Hat company. But that has to be a bargain regardless of when it was made.

Question - what was so special about the following Cavanagh? If it were in the same condition but not restored, how would that have affected the price?

Cavanagh restored by Optimo

86db_3.JPG

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
To me, a rebuilt hat has far less value than an original, so I think the price is crazy. I like the markings on the sweat, the old ribbon, etc.

However, the buyer probably saw one of the best names in hats, in a large and long oval size, with a sweat and ribbon that were certain to be in great condition.

Bob Smalser

One of the Regulars
Lefty said:
...However, the buyer probably saw one of the best names in hats, in a large and long oval size, with a sweat and ribbon that were certain to be in great condition.

The buyer is also from Finland, looking at his feedback, and probably knows exactly what he's doing.

For example, if you've ever wanted a fine, vintage English shotgun.....now is the time to import one. ;)

352402877.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Bob and Lefty - thanks for the responses. The Cavanagh auction really surprised me - I saw a very similar Cavanagh (same label) with a mint sweatband and mint box, priced quite a bit under that, but still more than I like to pay. Now I'm thinking it might have been a deal.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
To me, a rebuilt hat has far less value than an original, so I think the price is crazy. I like the markings on the sweat, the old ribbon, etc.

However, the buyer probably saw one of the best names in hats, in a large and long oval size, with a sweat and ribbon that were certain to be in great condition.
If you want a hat to wear and value quality its quite reasonable. Museum value is a different issue. Try to buy a modern hat with that felt quality for the price. Its really lost just the sweatband. The Cavanagh ribbon is not special except for the fraying(feathered edge). An Optimo with modern felt is 3 times the price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80