Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I have officially run out of space, but am off to Australia with 60 odd screaming kids next month and I just sent the Hattery an email about the Akubra Blue Mountain. Haven’t told Etsuko yet.:rolleyes:
Are you going to go to Katoomba? It’s a cool little town and The Hattery is wonderful. I would not care to go there with 60 screaming kids though - good luck!

The Shoe

One Too Many
Are you going to go to Katoomba? It’s a cool little town and The Hattery is wonderful. I would not care to go there with 60 screaming kids though - good luck!
No, and I don’t think they would be that happy with me bringing a huge bunch of screaming kids to the shop to finger and squeeze all their hats, either.
I was enquiring about getting the hat sent to my hotel in Melbourne. Before COVID we were looking into taking the kids to the Blue Mountains and I wondered if I could find a way to get to The Hattery. Unfortunately that trip was canceled. This first post-COVID trip will be a shortened version focusing on our sister school in Melbourne.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
No, and I don’t think they would be that happy with me bringing a huge bunch of screaming kids to the shop to finger and squeeze all their hats, either.
I was enquiring about getting the hat sent to my hotel in Melbourne. Before COVID we were looking into taking the kids to the Blue Mountains and I wondered if I could find a way to get to The Hattery. Unfortunately that trip was canceled. This first post-COVID trip will be a shortened version focusing on our sister school in Melbourne.
I look forward to hearing more about your trip. Melbourne is one of my favorite cities in the world. There is an old hat shop in downtown Melbourne just under the train station, also a wonderful spot to buy an Akubra if you can escape the 60 screamers (honestly, though, I find it hard to picture Japanese children as 'screamers').

The Shoe

One Too Many
I look forward to hearing more about your trip. Melbourne is one of my favorite cities in the world. There is an old hat shop in downtown Melbourne just under the train station, also a wonderful spot to buy an Akubra if you can escape the 60 screamers (honestly, though, I find it hard to picture Japanese children as 'screamers').
They have their moments!
I don’t like my chances of getting to that shop, though we will do some sightseeing in that area. Our first sightseeing day is just driving around and looking out of the bus window. We have a bigger day on the last day, when we get out and really see some of the sights. I’m not exactly sure which day the station area is on. Anyhow, I think the Blue Mountains is specially made for The Hattery, in the same way that the Fed IV is.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I think the Blue Mountains is specially made for The Hattery, in the same way that the Fed IV is.
True, that's what I understand as well. Sounds like you might be asking the Hattery to ship a Blue Mountain to Melbourne for you?

They have their moments!
I guess even German kids can be noisy, though I personally have never witnessed it....

BrianB

New in Town
I am officially expanding into Italian felts. I have two on the way from Greece and I just purchased this Borsa off eBay for a very fair price.

It’s going to be a tightish fit but I have made others work that were even tighter. This guy was just too special to pass up especially with the box.
View attachment 580559

View attachment 580560
View attachment 580561
I hope you enjoy it, Nathan! I’m the gentleman you bought the hat from on eBay.

Glad to see another Lounge member in the wild. I’m happy the hat is going to someone that can actually wear it, as it was too small on me. Looking forward to seeing photos on What Hat Are You Wearing Today. God bless.

Brian

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I hope you enjoy it, Nathan! I’m the gentleman you bought the hat from on eBay.

Glad to see another Lounge member in the wild. I’m happy the hat is going to someone that can actually wear it, as it was too small on me. Looking forward to seeing photos on What Hat Are You Wearing Today. God bless.

Brian
Awesome Brian, so great to keep hats in the family. And welcome to the Lounge!

Thank you again for a great price and fast shipment as well - unfortunately we are frozen in down here in Alabama and I don’t know when the mail will run, but I am very excited to show off the Borsa as soon as it arrives.

Best to you, sir!

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Anybody interested in a discount? :D
IMG_9900.png

DonR

One of the Regulars
Got this Dunlap today. Which would have been nice, but the sweatband is in bad shape and has completely detached. Other than that, there is a little spot on the brim, but the felt is a decent light weight and in good shape. It is a tan color with a dark brown grosgrain ribbon. The brim is 2 7/8" with 3/8" binding.

The seller also stated this as a size seven without even showing the tags, but it is a size 7 3/8 according to the tag and internal label. The sweatband was held in place with two safety pins.

The seller would not accept a return, but gave be a 40% refund not including the shipping.

I feel that it is a decent hat and would be a nice hat with a new band, but it is 3 sizes too large for me, and I'm not sure I can sell it for the cost and shipping of getting a band put in.

Do you feel that this is worth having a new band put in?

It is cleaner than the pictures depict.
DSC_2043.JPG
DSC_2044.JPG
DSC_2032.JPG

Woodtroll

One Too Many
I guess it's too late if you've accepted a partial refund, but if the hat was not as advertised (i.e., not a size 7), you could have filed a claim with Ebay if the seller wouldn't accept a return. You obviously did not get the hat that was advertised. These sellers that assign random sizes to hats when the evidence is to the contrary really raise my hackles.

My opinion, if you're not keeping it for yourself, is that you shouldn't go to the cost of putting in a new sweatband unless you can do the job yourself. It does look like a very decent hat otherwise, so if sewing in a $20 sweatband is all it needs, that should certainly help it sell.

Good luck, either way!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR