Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab

New in Town
St.Ignatz said:
Wow, $27.00. Wear a mask when you unpack that beauty 'cause it was highway robbery!

Thought it was a good deal. Now just need the mask.:)

Still learning how to gauge quality in a fine hats. Many threads here I'm ready and nice to know got a good deal.
thanks

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Razzman said:
Picked this up on the bay several weeks ago. Sent it out to Optimo for a cleaning. Not much of a difference?
Straw doesn't seem to clean up as well a felt, kinda like the difference between wool and linen in clothing. [huh]

MattJH

One Too Many
Look at this one. Back bow, great ribbon treatment, wide brim, all for under $17.00 shipped. Undetermined size, though, and very poorly listed.

!BSKQNZwBWk~$(KGrHgoOKjkEjlLm(yt(BKByP!e63Q~~_1.JPG

unitone

New in Town
buler said:
Jimmy, hope whoever got it does post details. Seller had the receipt, but just said the hat was in great shape for being 50-60 years old. Didn't mention exact date from receipt.

B

That was me. I will absolutely post up the details when it arrives. Hope it lives up to expectations.

1917 said:
...Anyone know is Royal Stetson Felt hats without beaver content? would a 3x feel and look like a higher quality?
A 3X is a noticeable upshift in quality to a Royal Stetson, as far as the ones I own. Royal Stetson then Royal Deluxe then 3X is how the scale goes. I have a couple of Stetson 25's & they are a notch above my 3X's, to me.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
MattJH said:
Bound-brim wind-cord brown Resistol w/box in 7 5/8 LO for $60-ish shipped.

!BSHrIl!CGk~$(KGrHgoH-DMEjlLltmFiBKBmf4hFmw~~_1.JPG

I didn't get it, but I like it.

The Resistol looks like a nice lid, but I will say that it may have the tell-tale signs of a Homburg that has been violated...:D Having had a bad experience on one such auction (although I was able to return the lid), I'm on the watch for that kind of thing now...;)

Cheers,
JtL

bbradd1

New in Town
Resistol

I am new here. This is my first post, but I am the one who bought the resistol on Ebay. I thought it had the look of a homburg as well. Either way I think it will make a good lid. Jimmy, sorry 'bout the outbid. (by the way I LOVE the hat in your avatar, it is a beaut!!! can you tell me more about it?)

I also picked up a stetson bowler and a size gi-normous brown royal biltmore last week. Anxiously waiting their arrival, post the pics when I get them..Brad

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
bbradd1 said:
I am new here. This is my first post, but I am the one who bought the resistol on Ebay. I thought it had the look of a homburg as well. Either way I think it will make a good lid. Jimmy, sorry 'bout the outbid. (by the way I LOVE the hat in your avatar, it is a beaut!!! can you tell me more about it?)

Hi, Brad -- I wasn't a bidder on that lid, but just noticed its homburg-ian qualities...;) Congrats on the new acquisitions!

As far as the hat in my avatar -- it is an actual photo of my pewter gray Stetson Playboy with some photoshop effects thrown in (including the blue color ;) ).

Cheers,
JtL

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Monreal 6 3/4

Won this on the bay just a few days ago. The description said it was from the 1920s, but now that the hat has arrived, this seems rather unlikely, as the protector on the liner is made of transparent plastic. The seller stated that the hat was worn by her grandfather, who died sometime in the mid 1920s, aged 22. Before that, together with his wife, he ran - guess what? A hat store! :D

The size indicated 54 cm (equals 6 3/4), which would have been a tad too small for me, so I just bought it out of curiosity. For some reason, when I put it on, it fit pretty well - and the result is, that I'm now a little bit afraid of what happend or might just be happening to my noggin'. :eek: But then, maybe it's the lid, which would be a relief...

A few moth nibbles on the brim, but at least the beasts didn't leave their marks around the edge.

Ah, lest I forget: The hat's brand name is Monreal. Does that ring a bell with you? Certainly doesn't ring a bell with me. [huh]

Here is it:

monreal.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:
The Resistol looks like a nice lid, but I will say that it may have the tell-tale signs of a Homburg that has been violated...:D

Cheers,
JtL

I think of it more as 'reconstructive non-invasive surgery'

Scott <=== Homburg-violater

EricH

One of the Regulars
That C&K was sold by JT who when he had a physical store here in St. Paul, would sell a hat like that for $50. Dang I really miss that store now. Congrats to the winner. Eric

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21