Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Cracker

One of the Regulars

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Chinaski said:
Cracker, I would say you've done well. There will be another Whippet. I really like the 15 3x Mode Edge - I'd say for the price you stole it!

Scott <=== victim of robbery :eusa_clap

Hate to say it, but both of those hats fit me perfectly, and I loved both of them, but...I have wayyy too many hats and having to choose some really nice ones to get rid of - good to see them going to buddies on the lounge.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Cracker said:

Not to worry. There are many Whippets on the bay. Yours is there. Keep looking.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Interesting... I sold my whippet here and it had hardly any offers. It was in better condition than the grey one on ebay. Maybe because it was brown and pristine as in NOS? and from the 50s?[huh]
Not complaining, nor wanting to bring up any polemic subjects. I actually sold it at the price I wanted. Just surprised and wondering if folks here are looking at the classifieds... and maybe if I should move my cart to the bay[huh]
IMG_9605.jpg

Aureliano said:
Interesting... Just surprised and wondering if folks here are looking at the classifieds... and maybe if I should move my cart to the bay[huh]
You have to remember, auction sites have a different dynamic than a classified ad where you post a specific price for a specific item. Some folks get caught up in the bidding & not the buying. As you said, you sold it for your price but don't try to relate anything between interest in classified & bidding in the 'Bay!!![huh]

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Makes sense what you say, deputy. I wasn't comparing anything by the way. Just wodering if loungers are looking at the classifieds where prices are, in my experience, always reasonable. I guess also not everyone who buys from eBay is a FL member.

I agree about the "reasonable prices". I also think ebay has a flea market vibe to it where folks are looking for yard sale type bargins. You'll see lots of folks watching that have no intention of bidding unless at near the end, the price is very low. I watch lots of hats on ebay, not my size, to see what they bring. I also watch hats in my size that I don't bid on because they go way past what I can spend on them!

Cracker

One of the Regulars
ScottF said:
Scott <=== victim of robbery :eusa_clap

Hate to say it, but both of those hats fit me perfectly, and I loved both of them, but...I have wayyy too many hats and having to choose some really nice ones to get rid of - good to see them going to buddies on the lounge.

I was going to say "small world," but I guess it shouldn't be surprising that I buy two hats on the same night from a fellow Lounger. :D

Cracker

One of the Regulars
Aureliano said:
Just wodering if loungers are looking at the classifieds where prices are, in my experience, always reasonable. I guess also not everyone who buys from eBay is a FL member.

Being rather new to this hat addiction,* it is only in the last couple of days that have I realized the Classifieds here is another resource for me.

*Seriously, I have gone from oblivious to obssessed in short order. After only three weeks, I cannot fathom leaving the house without a hat.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Cracker said:
Being rather new to this hat addiction,* it is only in the last couple of days that have I realized the Classifieds here is another resource for me.

Sellers who use the classifieds here, do it as a service to fellow loungers - it certainly is not the quickest or most profitable way to sell hats. I have learned that a more pleasurable way to accomplish the same, is to offer items by email or PM, to people who you know have a genuine interest in them. I have several trading buddies now.

Cracker said:
*Seriously, I have gone from oblivious to obssessed in short order. After only three weeks, I cannot fathom leaving the house without a hat.

The road from oblivious to obsessed is a very short one. Before you know it, you won't mind leaving the house with a tophat.

rippy444

Familiar Face
E bay purchases

Just picked up a Borsalina Alessandria for $ 45.00 + $ 6.00 shippihg. feeling
pretty good. I hope i didn't hedge out another brother. The hat was there for the taking. You know: what they are worth. Can't wait to try it on.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Dobbs Leisure Light

Finally some good luck...Unfolded the sweatband...

4406462061_41e6d00796.jpg

4417795793_ae1e16d570.jpg

More later in New Hats and Dobbs Diner...

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
A Portis

Well, I didn't win two of the three auctions I bid on, but I think I did OK with this one. A Portis called, according the the auction, "The New Slant."

%21BncM%297%21B2k%7E$%28KGrHqIOKiYEtk04ueFnBLjd%281C3ow%7E%7E_12.JPG

On the sweatband in the second photo is "Super-Lux" underneath Portis America's Best Value.

It went for almost 10 times it's original price! Slightly more with shipping.

Cheers,
Tom

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Brad Bowers said:
Wow, that is some luck! :eusa_clap

Gotta be the bargain of the month, I think.

Brad
The felt is fantastic and in perfect condition. The sweatband would be perfect also except the fold line needs to work its way flat again. Thin and soft and flexible like a new band. Not even very dusty and the flanging is like new as well, no sign of brim snapping. Even fits. Really excited about this one!

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:
The felt is fantastic and in perfect condition. The sweatband would be perfect also except the fold line needs to work its way flat again. Thin and soft and flexible like a new band. Not even very dusty and the flanging is like new as well, no sign of brim snapping. Even fits. Really excited about this one!

Very nice - congratulations!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic