Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Mario

I'll Lock Up
GoneSolo said:
So did I. I've been searching for one for ages. Have you seen the ones that Douglas has with the vents on the crown?

Why, of course - marveled at it I did! ;)

But had I really wanted to win this Dobbs here, I'd have gone much higher, at least past the $100 mark. I think it's worth the money and today's winner got it for a song. Well, there will be another one coming my way. At the moment I'm more focused on fishing for suits and other stuff to get myself fancied up for the coming season so the hats will just have to take a back seat for now... :p :D ;)

Mario

I'll Lock Up
GoneSolo said:
Holy cow! I'm not used to hats in my size range selling for so much. I used to purchase Whippets on eBay for $30-$50 depending on the condition. Times they are a changin'.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320496622079&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I think it's all in the name. Whippets seem to have developed a strange kind of animal magnetism that even affects the smaller sized specimen, like 6 7/8 and 7. I really like those Whippets, but it has become pretty difficult these days to find one of the really old ones with those tall, booming crowns. Most Whippets I see these days are comperatively low crowned. Ah, well..

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Stealth Stratoliner?

!BnmC30g!2k~$(KGrHqUH-D8EuFdG078nBLkFLbDgL!~~_3.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...331830&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1182

Chinaski

One Too Many
ScottF said:
What a great hat - someone's going to be very pleased.

Here's a nice example of what I consider a can't-do-without item for anyone who has more vintage hats than they can wear, at a very decent price:

Vintage full-size wooden hat stretcher

Yes, I had a bid in on that hat - a bit richer than my max! So it goes...

And that appears to be a high quality stretcher. Do you have one, Scott?

Cracker

One of the Regulars
Cracker said:
I had a good night, I went 2 for 3: I won a Stetson 15 3X Mode Edge and a Stetson 50 7X Open Road, and lost out on a beautiful Stetson Whippet.

I got the Stetson 50 7X Open Road tonight. It's silverbelly, but shows tan in the photos. Incredibly quick shipping, thanks so much, Scott F. Holy crap, I'm in love with this hat.

IMG_8574.jpg

IMG_8568.jpg

IMG_8582.jpg

Cracker

One of the Regulars
The brim is stiff, but snaps right good. The crown is pretty soft, I put in a dry teardrop bash very easily. I'll work it with some steam this weekend and get a better bash, but it does nicely dry: cattleman's, center dent, etc. Helluva hat.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Cracker said:
The brim is stiff, but snaps right good. The crown is pretty soft, I put in a dry teardrop bash very easily. I'll work it with some steam this weekend and get a better bash, but it does nicely dry: cattleman's, center dent, etc. Helluva hat.

FYI for these stiffer '60s Stetsons with factory creasing.

Not sure if it was factory, but had a 'C' crease in the back, which took quite a bit of steam to get out. That didn't work well enough, so I removed the liner and put it on the vintage full-size stretcher and opened the stretcher just enough to get the felt tight against the wood. Then I sponged water onto the felt and hand-pulled the felt against the wood. Once dried, the crease was gone. This technique works wonderfully, but BRUSH the hat very well first or you will get some staining, and sponge it all the way down through the ribbon. It doesn't change the shape of the hat at all, but gets the creases and bumps out very well.

I think I mentioned this in the listing, but this hat fit me perfectly, and I really like it. I hate selling hats with those qualities, of course, but I just have too many - I've been out of control with regard to incoming hats.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Chinaski said:
Yes, I had a bid in on that hat - a bit richer than my max! So it goes...

And that appears to be a high quality stretcher. Do you have one, Scott?

Yes, I do - best hat accoutrement I ever picked up. I probably use it daily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy