Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
7 1/2 strat
rstet2.JPG
rstet1.JPG

KY_RudeBoy

Familiar Face
I just received my Dobbs that I won last week. It's a dark gray but the flash kept flashing so it looks lighter. The inside shot shows the true color of the hat. It is amazingly soft, clean, and only has a touch of that "thrift store smell". I gave it a good brushing just before I took the pictures but it could use a little more brush time. Oh, and it fits me like a glove. I paid a little more for it than I had planned but I love it!

dobbs_594_02.jpg

dobbs_594_inside.jpg

Cracker

One of the Regulars
I just missed out on an Adams, will have to file that under "defeats." But I've got a question about bidding on ebay which I hope someone can answer. I posted a bid just before time ran out, and I was immediately outbid. I rebid, and was outbid again and the auction ended. No big deal. But then I notice that the winning bid had been placed two days ago, but didn't appear anywhere in the bid history except as the last second winning bid. How could that happen?

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=150420932202

KY_RudeBoy

Familiar Face
Cracker said:
I just missed out on an Adams, will have to file that under "defeats." But I've got a question about bidding on ebay which I hope someone can answer. I posted a bid just before time ran out, and I was immediately outbid. I rebid, and was outbid again and the auction ended. No big deal. But then I notice that the winning bid had been placed two days ago, but didn't appear anywhere in the bid history except as the last second winning bid. How could that happen?

I think that is an automatic maximum bid. You can set your max and ebay will keep bidding in increments until you reach your set max.

billyspew

One Too Many
Cracker said:

That would be me! Lovely looking homburg.
I put my maximum bid amount in I was willing to pay (more than x3 the price I actually paid). I never use sniping software, as I'm willing to pay what I'm willing to pay. Then as long as it's above what someone else is willing to pay I win.

Cracker

One of the Regulars
billyspew said:
That would be me! Lovely looking homburg.
I put my maximum bid amount in I was willing to pay (more than x3 the price I actually paid). I never use sniping software, as I'm willing to pay what I'm willing to pay. Then as long as it's above what someone else is willing to pay I win.

Congrats, Billy, that is a fine looking fedora. But I guess I'm still not getting it, because I don't understand how one can place a bid (or a maximum bid) without that bid showing up in the bid history until the auction is over.

I'm not aware of sniping software, either. I'm such a noob. :eusa_doh:

Cracker said:
Congrats, Billy, that is a fine looking fedora. But I guess I'm still not getting it, because I don't understand how one can place a bid (or a maximum bid) without that bid showing up in the bid history until the auction is over.

I'm not aware of sniping software, either. I'm such a noob. :eusa_doh:
When you place a maximum bid, ebay only puts enough of that value to make you the leader. If somebody else bids higher than that amount but less than your maximum, ebay automatically rebids for you. You didn't have to do anything. Bid history only shows the bids that get a buyer to "take the lead" so to speak. Make sense?

playing catch up...

great hats eveyone!

Salty O'Rourke: nice whippit, how tall is that crown?; awsome score on the Beaver Brand hat, if you decide you truely have too many brown hats, let me know... :)

jeffconnors: that's bunch o hats, let me know about the 7 1/4 for resale...; sweet deal on the "derby"

St.Ignatz: really nice Adam, i like the maroon bow

jimmy the lid: nice Dunlap! I really like the proportions

Tango Yankee: nice stetson, I am becomming a fan of those bound brims

Bantam Man: you'll have to let us know how that whippet turns out (dark spot vs thin felt...), I like the dark brown, It's on my list of colors to get.

Buler: I musta had my "stupid" drink this morning, i don't get "rockabilly" it's been thrown around a few times around here, but I am just missing the point...

ScottF: nice 7x !

mustangman3000: welcome on board and great looking hat!

RLK: the gw alexander is a beautiful hat!

I know this has already been discussed at lenght, but... how did this open road go for that much? are we really paying $100 per "x" for hats from the '60's??? (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT)

buler

I'll Lock Up
RobFedoraField said:
great hats eveyone!

Buler: I musta had my "stupid" drink this morning, i don't get "rockabilly" it's been thrown around a few times around here, but I am just missing the point...

Rob, I was just referring to an auction title that contained "rockabilly". Its one of those tag words people add to the auction, like gangsta, zoot suit, etc. when selling fedoras/hats.

B

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
buler said:
Rob, I was just referring to an auction title that contained "rockabilly". Its one of those tag words people add to the auction, like gangsta, zoot suit, etc. when selling fedoras/hats.

B

I wonder if anyone actually uses any of those words when running a search for a hat? :rolleyes: I suppose that if they do, it's only because it's someone like us who buy enough hats and see them in use so they get added to the search criteria in order to pull up those poorly worded auctions that sometimes hide great deals.

Did that run-on sentence make sense? lol

Cheers,
Tom

AlanD

Familiar Face
It's called proxy bidding. You set a maximum bid you want to make and ebay will automatically bid for you until your bid has run out. He probably bid $70. or more.

Cracker

One of the Regulars
I understand placing a maximum bid and ebay bidding for you in increments up to that amount, I was just confused why that bidder's identity didn't appear in the bid history until after the auction was over. Clicking "show automatic bids" in the bid history showed that Billy was actually the first bidder, but his name was hidden as a bidder (I guess) because it was an automatic maximum bid and I didn't click "show automatic bids" before the auction was over.

Whatever. Sorry for boring everyone with this. I've bored myself as well. I'll stop now.

Where's the "beat a dead horse" icon?

Mario

I'll Lock Up
I just missed out on this really nice Dobbs Cross Country but I didn't really put in a high bid (in fact I've put a stop to my hat shopping spree for now [well, more or less :rolleyes: ] and instead decided to spend my money on a few nice vintage suits and other type of vintage clothing). The hat went for $25.10 which seems to be a really nice price. Congtats to the winner! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

The seller states it's from the 50's, but it looks late 30's/early 40's to me.

!Bn,601wCGk~$(KGrHqQH-CgEtp)Dqgl7BLjZp6Qzhg~~_12.JPG

!Bn,67-gB2k~$(KGrHqQH-EYEtr+qYv,RBLjZqPmq-!~~_12.JPG

!Bn,7Jv!!2k~$(KGrHqMH-D8EuGm7lNbWBLjZq5J-e!~~_12.JPG

!Bn,7Si!Bmk~$(KGrHqIH-EIEtrH8,T5nBLjZrTKszw~~_12.JPG

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
A Strat with a BIN!

I came home this evening and started going through my e-mail, and there was a Strat search with a Strat listed. I clicked on it, and lordy, it was a 7 1/4 Long Oval in what appears to be decent shape with a low BIN for a Strat... and it was still there! Yeah, I hooked it and reeled it in!

The photos aren't great but I figured what the heck, and took the chance.

%21Bn+Zl0QBmk%7E$%28KGrHqMOKkMEtlHBbeRcBLltiZgEwg%7E%7E_12.JPG

%21Bn+,IKg%21mk%7E$%28KGrHqIOKjwEt7%29utpD4BLltk5twSg%7E%7E_12.JPG

%21BoECc1%21%21mk%7E$%28KGrHqMH-CEEt7C-VTY-BLmBG68WsQ%7E%7E_12.JPG

It needs a little bit of TLC, but I think it will turn out OK.

Cheers,
Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic