Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Dieter, Fantastic Cavanagh!

Interesting old (around 1900?) P. & C. Habig box (not mine).

!B5eTSG!BWk~$(KGrHqQOKnMEy1t9tWyLBMtywUwkug~~_12.JPG

Dieter, Yes I bid on the Mayser but didn't win. It looked to be in super condition but in the end I have too many black Homburgs. :)

!B25YdIQCGk~$(KGrHqIOKjoEyNNyB++oBMkRH7vKow~~_12.JPG

ET, I will go ahead and post some more photos. I would have liked to nab it but it went for way to high.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Hello BK,

it is basically the taped sweatband that makes me put it 30ies rather than later. You are right, this style is still prominent in the 50ies. Brad has a similar one with a taped sweat and a triangular plate attached. He put his around 1936. The "John Cavanagh Ltd. Park Avenue at 47th Street New York" print in the liner might also help date the hat. We will have more evidence once I can get pictures of the undersweatband lables.

Beautiful Homburg. Its '36 or later up to earliest 40's the with that label and the sweatband clip. Cavanagh used a narrow ribbon edge on the curl so its their Homburg style rather than a Lord's Hat.

Last edited:

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Just fetched this mid 1930ies Cavanagh Lord´s Hat. My first hat purchase in months.

Glad you got that one, Dieter! I've got one exactly like it, only in a smaller size. You'll find that it's actually a Homburg, as it does have a bound edge, but most of the ribbon is on the inside of the curl. This was a style that Hat Corporation of America used on Cavanagh and Dobbs, and I think on Knox as well. I don't know if other manufacturers used it.

What tells you it's mid 1930s? I would have guessed the seller was right with their 1950s timing. The patent only gives an earliest possible date for the sweatband manufacture. (An awful lot of ties you'll find, for example, have a construction that was patented in 1929, and a label which states this, but that doesn't mean they were all made in 1929).

It's actually late-'30s, approximately. The patent for the Carter sweatband is a clue, certainly, but a couple of other things make it a bit later. The address in the liner tip was changed from "247 Park Avenue" to "Park Avenue at 47th" in 1936, and the metal sweatband marker dates to no earlier than early 1937. The taped seam disappeared sometime after 1940, though I don't know exactly when, though it was gone by '42. So, '37 to '42, I feel comfortable saying it's late-'30s.

I've seen several examples of this exact hat over the past few years, all dating to the same period. It must have been a particular model offered for a while. The sweatband marker didn't seem to last very long. I suspect it was applied to hats sold at the Park Avenue store, as all of the examples I have seen came from the store.

EDIT: I just checked my hat and I don't have the Carter sweatband in that one, just in some others. So, there were variations!

Brad

rlk beat me to the punch!

Last edited:

Dreispitz

One Too Many
RLK, Brad,

thank you for the dating and the additional information!

You see, Brad, we did not skip your class! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
What's the plural of Portis?

Heck with it. Here are a couple of Portis "beaver blend" hats that didn't garner near the attention I would have expected. Even with five bids each the ending prices were low.

Silverbelly-looking one:

!B6K25(!!Wk~$(KGrHqR,!h!Eyrv1fFZSBMwds1oOGw~~0_12.JPG

And a black one:

!B6KgHpwCGk~$(KGrHqEOKi8EykgJhLpeBMwcwUjDEg~~0_12.JPG

Both 7 1/4 and both look to be like new. Admittably, they weren't listed in the best of places for such nice hats so may have been overlooked by most.

Cheers,
Tom

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Nice finds, Tango Yankee!

Thanks, Hatophile! I did a random running of my Portis search and those popped up. I've not really been in the market for more hats, but one of my daily drivers is a Portis much like the grey one so I thought I'd toss in a couple of low bids. I'd have been rather surprised if I won just one, but both! Not sure how I'm going to explain this to my wife... I'd use the excuse that my birthday is next week, but that's the excuse I'd planned on using when I get home from the Ohio Pen Show this Saturday! ;)

I'm still asking myself why I didn't pull the trigger on this one?

And you probably still haven't received a very satisfactory response, have you? :D We've all been there, my friend! We all know exactly how that feels! There are a couple of hats that I still kick myself over from time to time.

Heck, I still regret not being able to buy the 1954 Volkswagon barn-door bus with semaphore turn signals and factory-installed vent that I could have had for $400 in 1980. Of course, the fact that I was laid off from my factory job and the first wife wasn't working due to a broken leg meant that $400 may as well as been $4M, but still...

Cheers,
Tom

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
LION HATS - Western ...for now

lion1.jpg

lion2.jpg

lion3.jpg

Hopefully there is a thin ribbon under that mass of absurd chicken feathers. I figure to trim & reflange the brim and give it a teardrop crown.

Does anyone know when Lion Hats morphed into the Beaver Brand? I'd like an apx. date to put to this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183