Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
6 7/8 Sovereign 20 OR with great case

The case is different from others I've seen. Other than the insert design, the sliding, locking buttons have a different design, the little Stetson logo medallion is missing (though they probably fall off easily enough), there's no Stetson mark on the underside of the lid, and the box looks to be two-tone. If it's not a Stetson case, it certainly seems like a nice facsimile. If it is a Stetson, it's the only example I can remember.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I tried to bid on it, but it turned out that I was outbid as I hit "confirm". Then I got a bit overly aggressive, and the auction's end saved me from spending more than I wanted to on it.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
I have 3 different dress hats(offhand without looking) with 3X and Fifteen(sweat and or price tag) on them all from the period you quote as $20.00 in addition to seeing other people's examples. Sovereigns were $20.00 during that period as far as I have seen. 1956 still shows 3X at 15( incl OR) and 20 and 22.50(1) for Westerns. Has a 20 Quality too. Sovereign uncommon for Western.

Thanks, Robert. I'm going to send you my spreadsheet - it only contains examples that I could document directly from dated ads, catalogs, etc. Please take a look and update whatever you can. Obviously there's no hurry - I haven't touched it in over a year.

SteveAS

Practically Family
I won this Churchill Beaver Fifty XTAR for just over half its original cost (before $12 shipping). I have a Churchill Beaver Twenty-Five Open Road clone, which is a nicely made hat with very nice felt, so I'm hopeful this will also be nice. Does anyone have experience with Churchill Beaver Fifties?

$(KGrHqQOKiIE3DzvZS2IBN1TyuDQ(Q~~0_12.JPG

I won this Churchill Beaver Fifty XTAR for just over half its original cost (before $12 shipping). I have a Churchill Beaver Twenty-Five Open Road clone, which is a nicely made hat with very nice felt, so I'm hopeful this will also be nice. Does anyone have experience with Churchill Beaver Fifties?

Look forward to hearing how you like it. I have a Churchill western private label from Neiman Marcus and a Resistol Golden Beaver 50. Both are nicely made cowboy hats. Neither are at the level of the Stetson 50 (aka 7XCB).

ejbhats

A-List Customer
Never having had a Borso but thinking I need one has caused me to bid on a number of them but "always the brides maid and never the bride", I end up watching them sucked away from me to the point of figuring I would never get to experience one myself.
My good friend Alex, here on FL pointed me in this direction today and I jumped! It will need a bit of a stretch to get it back into size but hoping it's well worth the try for this wide brimmed sexy Italian!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150609306447&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Any opinions?

SteveAS

Practically Family
Look forward to hearing how you like it. I have a Churchill western private label from Neiman Marcus and a Resistol Golden Beaver 50. Both are nicely made cowboy hats. Neither are at the level of the Stetson 50 (aka 7XCB).

Thanks for your thoughts, Alan. I have one Stetson 7XCB, so I'll be able to do the same comparison.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24