Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

BlindeMan

Familiar Face
I saw one that I liked the look of, but the vendor didn't have a size other than "medium" on the page. They didn't even have the inside diameter so that we could take a guess at the actual size. Moreover, there were no pics of the interior. Unfortunately, after some inquiries, the hat was 7 1/8 - a bit too small for my 7 1/2 noggin.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
This one ended a couple weeks ago. It was pretty small, if I recall properly.
It's a Stevens Strato-flight. Quite the blatant stratoliner knockoff, even with a stratoliner (or DC-3) on the liner.

aeo30.jpg

22de_1.jpg

aeo31.jpg

GoneSolo

One of the Regulars
Dinerman said:
This one ended a couple weeks ago. It was pretty small, if I recall properly.
It's a Stevens Strato-flight. Quite the blatant stratoliner knockoff, even with a stratoliner (or DC-3) on the liner.

aeo30.jpg

22de_1.jpg

aeo31.jpg

I picked this one up. I have never seen one like it. The felt it just as soft as a stratoliner. The downside is that its in pretty bad shape. I have to send it for a full reblock, but I don't know who to send it to. Does anyone know if it would be possible to keep the liner during the process?

MattJH

One Too Many
GoneSolo said:
I have to send it for a full reblock, but I don't know who to send it to. Does anyone know if it would be possible to keep the liner during the process?

Optimo in Chicago.

If you specifically request that the liner be retained, it will be retained. You have to be specific with them, though. I sent my Whippet for a restoration and specifically asked that the liner and ribbon be retained. They told me the ribbon had to be replaced, though, and I told them no problem, but they replaced it with a wider ribbon. I don't like it as much, but it's my fault - I should've stressed that I wanted the exact same ribbon measurement in the replacement.

As long as you're specific, you're fine. They do phenomenal work. I've sent 4 hats to them. Not a single complaint other than the one above, but it's my fault.

GoneSolo

One of the Regulars
Dumbjaw said:
but they replaced it with a wider ribbon.

Thanks dumbjaw. That is why I've been so reluctant to send it to anyone. Usually everything gets replaced. I think I am also going to request that he literally turn the hat around. There is a small hole that has formed over the years where the pinch is. You can just barely see it in the photograph. I've heard of this being done before.

I asked Art if he was offering hat blocking services, but he isn't. Having seen Grahams work, I'll probably send it to him.

MattJH

One Too Many
Yes! Unless it's an optical illusion caused by the bound brim, it looks just like every other 2" brimmed hat I've ever seen in person or in photo.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The brim seems to have much more curl to it than most open roads. I wonder if it was reflanged at some point? See how in the straight on shots, the brim points straight up at the edges, almost like a homburg-type curl? That extra curl could account for the brim looking shorter.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
GS, we've got to see you're entire collection. You've already got me drooling over that Sportlite, and now you post another one that I've never even heard of. Great work, and I can't wait to see this one after Optimo. :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats