Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
You stole that milan, Josh... great work. My Intrigue 7XCB came from Pantke-Harpke as well.

Thanks, Alan! I was kicking myself for missing that Optimo crown over the weekend, so I had to get a nice summer hat this week. :)

I did a lounge-wide search for Pantke-Harpke and it seems that the handful of hats that have had that Sweatband Stamp have been high quality. Your 7xCB is an amazing hat!

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Man, I probably would have bid $200 for that if had seen it. The reporter that interviewed me yesterday wears a 7 7/8 and I had to tell him I don't have that size!

Brad

I (too) would have expected it to go over 120.

Oh don't get me wrong...I was expecting that block to bring between $200 - $300. It just seemed that not a whole lot of loungers were interested in it, so I guess I thought I could buy it for cheap. That was my mistake. I really should have bid $200. I beat the high bidder at $56, then was outbid at $120. I thought the jump from $56 to $120 would have been enough based on the amount of bids and price the block had been until the last 3 seconds. :eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh:

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
The blue fedora in this lot has potential. Could be 1940s or earlier. Give the dusty felt a good brushing, clean the leather sweatband with some saddle soap, and hopefully you're good to go.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?itemid=9319502
Score! The gamble paid off. I finally received the hats this afternoon. As expected, three of the four are modern wool felts: on the cheap side, but would make decent costume fedoras. I'll give them away to a local Goodwill.

But the BLUE one ... ah, well ... it's one of those early to mid 1930s hybrid 'homburg-fedoras', size 7 1/4, and (except for a lot of dust) the fur felt is in pristine condition. Has its original leather sweatband, but the maker's name and logo have been completely rubbed off with use. It was made for "McCormack's" hat store in Tacoma, Washington.

I'll post photos as soon as I have dusted the blue "homdora" off.

And here it is, the $16 Goodwill auction find. On closer inspection, it’s not a “homdora” but a blue “lords’ hat”, rolled raw-edge brim and all.

IMG_1164.jpg

IMG_1166.jpg

IMG_1169.jpg

IMG_1178.jpg

IMG_1175.jpg

IMG_1172.jpg

IMG_1173.jpg

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Marc, you have an unbelievable eye if you saw potential in that lot from those auction photos. Please consider posting that in the lord's hat thread!

Gromulus

Practically Family
Congratulations to the winner of this 7 1/2 St. Regis.

He also "won" this gray St. Regis from the same seller:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150760606829?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

and yet another size 7 3/8 gray St. Regis a couple of weeks back:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120854401193?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1532.l2649

I picked up a gray St Regis a few weeks back and thought I overpaid at $73. This "homburgler" (although he certainly didn't steal them) must really like these hats!

Last edited:

T Rick

Practically Family
Congratulations to the winner of this 7 1/2 St. Regis.

He also "won" this gray St. Regis from the same seller:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150760606829?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

and yet another size 7 3/8 gray St. Regis a couple of weeks back:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120854401193?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1532.l2649

I picked up a gray St Regis a few weeks back and thought I overpaid at $73. This "homburgler" (although he certainly didn't steal them) must really like these hats!

Well the St. Regis seems to often times be a bargain. This pristine black one (in my size!) went for a pittance just days ago. My own gray one was similar in price. Thought I had a brown one as well, but in yesterday's look through the hats it eluded me, so I may have been mistaken (was away from home about 9 months total in 2011, some things have gotten a bit out of hand ;)). I may need to pick up a couple more, but certainly for the lower end of the price scale! Not like I'll wear these much, but they really are cool.

Last edited:

Gromulus

Practically Family
Well the St. Regis seems to often times be a bargain. This pristine black one (in my size!) went for a pittance just days ago. My own gray one was similar in price. Thought I had a brown one as well, but in yesterday's look through the hats it eluded me, so I may have been mistaken (was away from home about 9 months total in 2011, some things have gotten a bit out of hand ;)). I may need to pick up a couple more, but certainly for the lower end of the price scale! Not like I'll wear these much, but they really are cool.

There are a few more active right now, albeit in smaller sizes, and none are approaching these prices. I have been watching these over the past year and this particular buyer bought at some of the highest prices I have seen these go for.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I bet with a little patience, you'd find a "deal" in your size, but honestly I think those St. Regis hats are really superbly felted and blocked.

T Rick

Practically Family
And here is yet another, similarly priced (higher shipping though) that ended today.

I bet with a little patience, you'd find a "deal" in your size, but honestly I think those St. Regis hats are really superbly felted and blocked.
I agree, and think I need to pick up on or two more in other colors. Who knows, I may even wear them much more in the future!

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Hat Travel Box

I picked up a travel box of a type I've not seen before.

$(KGrHqV,!o0E8VTCT!KdBPH0(Mw14w~~60_12.JPG

The source of the case is printed on top, so I checked out the web site. Turns out I got it for about half of what they go for. :D I put the info about the site in this thread should anyone be interested it getting one.

Cheers,
Tom

Alan, did you or someone here get this spectacular hat at an equally spectacular price? http://www.ebay.com/itm/110827159464?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
I've been watching this, indeed, I mentioned it here as looking similar to that tan nutria we were both on last month. This one, wouldn't fit me, but that tan one did. :(

Yes I did. It looks very similar to the furry black nutria hat that I've posted recently, but with a black ribbon and horsehair braid.

The tan nutria hat is not marked for size. It was renovated with new sweat in the 1940s and the original Stetson production label is missing. I would say the hat fits between 7 1/8 and 7 1/4. Is that your size?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy