Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
not mine
fuzzy expo medal Stetson gets respect - if the fuzz is OK after a brushing, this should be one heck of a hat.
stets4.JPG
stets7.JPG
stets5.JPG

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
the 7 1/8 market appears to have been a bit saturated this week. I deleted the links, but there were probably a dozen very interesting vintage lids that went for opening bids or just over.
I grabbed a BIN on this one. I have no idea whether it's dark grey or light brown, or whether the brim is felted or welted. I"m guessing it's about a 2 inch brim. The pics and description just don't tell much, from my eyes. I'll certainly update once it arrives.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330689526837?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_500wt_934

Chief000731

Practically Family
All those are fake ebay emails, I get them all the time and I do not have a "pay pal" account, my Wife has the pay pal account, and it is attached to her email address, not mine.

I have reported those emails to pay pal, the say they are going to do something about it, but who knows how many "crooks" are sending them?

Be real careful with PayPal, My account has been hacked twice I have a dispute with PayPal right now and can't use them. I always pay the minute I win or buy something. But somebody got ahold of me to the tune of $600.00 Now I have to pay with a money order one guy wouln't sell to me said he thought I was trying to scam him, I'm not trying to scam anybody I'm trying to buy a hat. I have been to everybody but god about this but nothing happened yet they say they are investigating and that I owe them $600.00 I don't owe anybody anything. They even contacted me about the transaction as being unusual... So becareful guys and sorry about paying some of you that I have boughjt hats from with money orders, Hell I even western unioned Rudie the money for the hat I just bought, It cost me almost $40.00 Thanks for listening. Carl

Chief000731

Practically Family
If the buyer pays within minutes of the end of the auction......should not the seller make it a point to ship within 3 days....

tit for tat......Quick pay .....Quick shipping.

I always check the information in the shipping tab sometimes they tell you item ships within 5 days or a 3 day handeling time they can take up to 30 days for shipping and handeling. And like LoveMyHats2 said sometimes you can't get the shipping or tracking number to save but I usually get an email when they ship my stuff. I'm waiting on 10 items now 9 of them new (to me) vintage hats 1 custom made for me. Can't hardly wait!!!

Chief000731

Practically Family
What's up with ebay sellers....

Prices are getting higher, even on average and beater hats.

Whlie their attitudes are getting worse. Every seller seems to have something about asking questions in their descriptions......happy to answer questions....please ask questions....ask questions before you bid....any questions, don't hesitate to ask....and such statements.

Then get an attitude when they get questions or respond without answering the questions or don't respond at all.

This is happening more and more often....Today I asked a seller for the circumference measurement of a hat.....
The sellers response was the size is 6 7/8, buy the hat and measure it yourself....

I won't be buying anything from that seller....

Yeah I hear you, I asked a guy a question (after in his post he did all but beg you to ask question) and he ripped me a new one for asking him about the hat! He told me not to bid on any of his auctions and put me on his block bidders list so I can't bid with him. I wouldn't bid on his items now anyway but what the hell... Carl

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
looks like a steal on both of them! That price point isn't unheard of in the bay, but most Stetsons seem to go for quite a bit more. Please post pics when you get them!

On another note, I sold one of my pipes last week to someone in China. My description stated "ships within the continental US" or the like, but that's only because I am not experienced with international shipping. I looked up the shipping quote and it was more than the pipe sold for. I sent a message to the buyer with the shipping quote and new total, and gave him or her the opportunity to continue with the purchase or not. Was that ok? I have no idea whether an unsmoked tobacco pipe would cause customs problems, either. Anyone have experience in this department?

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
I sent a message to the buyer with the shipping quote and new total, and gave him or her the opportunity to continue with the purchase or not. Was that ok?

Absolutely.

I have no idea whether an unsmoked tobacco pipe would cause customs problems, either. Anyone have experience in this department?

No experiences - anyway, for what it's worth:
There's nothing even remotely related to smoking pipes or tobacco in here: http://pe.usps.com/text/Imm/ce_009.htm#ep1400280
If you want to be on the safe side, ask the buyer to check with his country's customs offices for himself. Technically, it's always the addressee's problem, not the sender's, although the addressee is supposed to know that already.
So, by asking him to do this, you'll avoid the "why didn't you tell me before"-type of question. Many ebay sellers do just that, as a precaution.

Last edited:

Mystic

Practically Family
Absolutely.

There's nothing even remotely related to smoking pipes or tobacco in here: http://pe.usps.com/text/Imm/ce_009.htm#ep1400280
If you want to be on the safe side, ask the buyer to check with his country's customs offices for himself. Technically, it's always the addressee's problem, not the sender's, although the addressee is supposed to know that already.
So, by asking him to do this, you'll avoid the "why didn't you tell me before"-type of question. Many ebay sellers do just that, as a precaution.

Looks like Bowlerman may have found one of the very few items that ARE allowed to be shipped to China.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Absolutely.

Looks like Bowlerman may have found one of the very few items that ARE allowed to be shipped to China.

Thanks for the responses. I have yet to hear a reply, but since it took me a few days to realize the shipping address was in China, I'll give him a few days to respond.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dobbs Sheffield

I am for some unknown reason blocked from buying from this store, anyone else?

I dunno what I might have done to PO this guy, but apparently I made his blocked list even though I have never done biz. there before ... yet I keep thinking that item at that price should be gone by now, if it was up to me it'd be on its way to Tennessee. [huh]

STRAT03052012.jpg

On the upside - scored this one right out of the gate- from anyone here?

Last edited:

T Rick

Practically Family
I am for some unknown reason blocked from buying from this store, anyone else?

I dunno what I might have done to PO this guy, but apparently I made his blocked list even though I have never done biz. there before ... yet I keep thinking that item at that price should be gone by now, if it was up to me it'd be on its way to Tennessee. [huh]
Did you ever send him a question? Only vendor on eBay who ever blocked me was a Seller/Manufacturer of a guitar amplifier accessory (attenuator). I asked one question, his answer left a bit of a question, so I messaged once more for a clarification (very polite both times). Next thing you know I try to bid and discover I'm blocked! His loss, my gain (it was probably a shoddy unit anyway).

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Did you ever send him a question? Only vendor on eBay who ever blocked me was a Seller/Manufacturer of a guitar amplifier accessory (attenuator). I asked one question, his answer left a bit of a question, so I messaged once more for a clarification (very polite both times). Next thing you know I try to bid and discover I'm blocked! His loss, my gain (it was probably a shoddy unit anyway).

I went thru the "contact seller" and was prevented from writing the seller too... I guess I am just S.O.L.!

EggHead

Practically Family

TipTop

Practically Family
I went thru the "contact seller" and was prevented from writing the seller too... I guess I am just S.O.L.!
I've not encountered problems with eBay, but I have had my internet address (the numbered one) misread or misinterpreted because I (used to) use AOL. It seems that AOL rotates you through a series of addresses and if the receiving system stores numbers (rather than relying on your cookies???) it can think you are someone else, or worse, an impostor (hmm, just noticed that pun imPOSTor).

Now I'm sure that some IT guy here can fix my words and terms, but it could be your server rather than "you." If you are really desperate maybe someone else can intervene with a msg to him....on the other hand, I do know of crank sellers who block people for asking simple questions they perceive are challenging them (and they are usually right in being challenged!)

TipTop

Practically Family
I shouldn't be complaining, but here I am. Being a cheap SOB, I watch for mis-worded, and poorly listed auctions. Apparently, in addition to these rather ill-informed sellers, they are not too handy with a tape measure either.

You see, my head is 23" in circumference. Not 22 1/2", not 22", not 24", its 23". Its not that hard to measure. When I see one of these poorly listed auctions for a nice hat, I have to always ask questions to be sure I am getting something that will fit me. Why would I buy a hat that would not fit me? Would you buy shoes 2 sizes too small? Even if they were on sale? Of course not!

I ask specific, to the point questions:
"What is the inner circumference of the sweatband?"
"What is the brim length?"
"What is the ribbon heigth?", etc

I get answers like:
"The hat is 22 and 5 lines wide"
The hat is 22 and 5/6 inches in circumference"
"The hat is about 23 inches long"
"the brim is about 2 inches "

Well, I should have asked for clarification, but in my eagerness to win the hat, and not tip off the seller they may have a better hat, and to prevent them from changing the listing, and letting others bidders beat me out of a hat I spend a lot of time and trouble finding, I decide make a decision and bid and take my chances.

Well, when it is all said and done, I have a couple nice hats, but none in my size.:eusa_doh: None measure close to what they say. One said the brim was 2 inches, and it is clearly 1 7/8. Even the hat that is a true 7 3/8 fits tight.

And another thing, apparently in addition to these sellers having no sense of style, wording, limited skills with a measuring tape, no sense to turn on the flash on their cameras, they have no sense of smell. I got a hat that smells like roadkill. Seriously. The poor hat has been banished from the house by the 'powers that be' because it was stinking up the place.

I think I am done with ebay for a while. Rant off.:(

LOL, Perfect Coincidental Timing:
I just stole this Resistol 5x Western for $11, PLUS the plastic storage box. I threw in an $8 starting bid as a marker and then wrote to him for size information and requested that he take a picture of it outdoors, check the inside for label and info, and state the brand manufacturer. Well, after he went back and added most of what I had requested, the auction closed with only one other bidder who didn't manage to top my $11 maximum!

When together, we finally realized that it was a 7 1/2, I explained that it would be too big (for my 7 3/8), but that I wouldn't retract my bid (figuring the box was worth $11), but that if I won it, he should plan to ship it Parcel Post, so the shipping wouldn't exceed the cost.

Poor guy got all tangled up in USPS and PayPal and printed two labels, got charged twice and now has a valid Priority label! So I told him to ship it Priority (only $15 actually), and send me the difference when it all settles out. Seems like a really nice guy and was blaming the low price on it finishing Monday morning during work hours. I confided in him that his pic and non-description were what killed it, despite lots of views.

Oh well, maybe I can stuff or shrink it; I know I can use the storage box.:D

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW