Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Discussion in 'Hats' started by AlanC, Mar 24, 2008.

1. On its previous owner's head:

[​IMG]

2. Joshbru3

Joshbru3 I'll Lock Up

Looks very "Cagney-ish." I'm pretty sure that early 30's Cagney wore 6+ inch crowns with brims that were no more than 2 1/8 inches but probably closer to 2 inches. This hat at 1 3/4 inches is pretty stingy even for Cagney.

3. Thanks! I just can't remember if the brim was that narrow when I sold the hat. Only Mr_Misanthropy could say for sure.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  4. Mystic

Mystic Practically Family

I think I have a target on my back for eBay sellers. My last three buys have gone south.

I finally got a email from on of the sellers that was into the 9th day without shipping hat. said it would be shipped tomorrow and tracking would be posted.

the other two are now open cases with eBay.

5. Rick Blaine

Rick Blaine My Mail is Forwarded Here

GGGGRRRrrrr!

Please feel at liberty to post links/divulge seller names. :kick: We, none of us, need that kinda &^%#!

6. Mystic

Mystic Practically Family

Not quite ready to throw anyone under the bus just yet. I want to see how these issues are going to be resolved.

My first experience with seller issues......and, I get 3 in a row.

Trying to be fair here. Shite happens.....it's not that it happens .....it's what happens after it happens.

7. Rick Blaine

Rick Blaine My Mail is Forwarded Here

Understood. Very good example. Though it seems you have been quite patient

8. LoveMyHats2

LoveMyHats2 I'll Lock Up

Lord have mercy, I feel for you. Geez, to date what my household has had going on with eBay has all for the most part, been really decent, except for a rolex that was not working, had a bit of a problem getting a refund/return of money, but the seller eventually made things right.

I hope you will not have any further problems, and that everything works out for you.

9. Rabbit

Rabbit Call Me a Cab

Dobbs early 1950s 5 3/4" x 2 3/4"

Got this one in January and forgot to post it here. The felt is quite something. Very malleable, medium weight. The pics don't render the color accurately; it's actually a lighter medium grey with a slight greenish undertone and nearly matching ribbon.

Original auction

[​IMG]

More pics here in the Dobbs Diner

10. Rabbit

Rabbit Call Me a Cab

That's a very sensible attitude. When ebay transactions are concerned, we sometimes forget that there are more serious things to life than the walk to the post office.
    Three unlucky transactions in a row are definitely bad luck, though.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  11. TipTop

TipTop Practically Family

Rabbit, that is a handsome specimen and a dramatically improved golden-hour photo from that of the auction. Coincidentally, did you see this week the post from a German member who was having trouble discerning and matching a gray Christies that has blue/green in it? It was giving him fits trying to match other grays; we suggested complementary colors and to enjoy it.

12. Rabbit

Rabbit Call Me a Cab

Thanks Ray. Yes, I saw the thread about the gray Christys. I wouldn't have known what to say about it except that it's generally a good thing to rely on one's own judgement regarding colors. Especially so since communicating about colors is still more difficult than training one's eyes to actually see colors properly.

13. Lefty

Lefty I'll Lock Up

I hit BIN, hit the payment button, and was told I couldn't complete the transaction on this 100. Congrats to the guy who beat me by a couple of seconds.

14. Rodkins

Rodkins Call Me a Cab

Sorry lefty. I'm still trying to find one in a 7 3/8 and figured maybe I could use this one to get there. If you still had that one in 7 3/8 I would trade this one for it in a heartbeat so I had one that fits me.

15. Destinys Agent

Destinys Agent Familiar Face

Yay! I'm a happy bunny. I recieved my eBay purchase this morning:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The seller didn't say what 'model' the hat was in the description but I liked it. It turned out to be a Christys Knightsbridge. I've been looking at them since I started getting interested in wearing hats but at £75+Delivery, I thought I'd wait until I was sure what size I was and so on. I got this one for £33 inc P&P on eBay UK. I was very pleasently surprised that it was a Knightsbridge but very happy. :D

16. Yes, congrats to Rodkins. Never mind what Ecclesiastes IX.11 says; sometimes the race really is to the swift.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  17. Lefty

Lefty I'll Lock Up

I was after it with the same type of intention - flipping it toward an Optimo.

18. Rodkins

Rodkins Call Me a Cab

I'm just trying to get to a one hundred that fits me :)

19. randooch

randooch I'll Lock Up

That one would have to have shrunk a size and a half, eh?