Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
It's beat, but it's one of the coolest derbies I've seen. Congrats to the winner of this gem from Danbury.
grayhat2.jpg=450

HatsEnough

Banned
Hello. I have been also keeping an eye out for a Silverbelly OR, I have been about half tempted to just purchase one that is still looking like the LBJ hat and see about changing the look on it, but not real sure how easy that would be.

It's very easy. A little steam and, as long as it's fairly clean, no one would ever know it had another crease. I've done it at least half a dozen times. I hat, hate, hate that "LBJ" rancher-styled crease. I always remove it first thing. (I have a Stetson 100 and an OR that I left that way, but I will never wear either of them)

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
It's very easy. A little steam and, as long as it's fairly clean, no one would ever know it had another crease. I've done it at least half a dozen times. I hat, hate, hate that "LBJ" rancher-styled crease. I always remove it first thing. (I have a Stetson 100 and an OR that I left that way, but I will never wear either of them)
Yes I agree, the rancher style crease did not do much for "LBJ" either, HAHAHA! I just can't help it, when I see that hat with that crease, I just think, "basset hound"...as it brings back images of LBJ on his ranch with a few basset hounds "lurking".....

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Hey, you're Cynthia's husband? Looks like everything got sorted for you OK. Welcome!!

There are a couple of good modern options for the Silverbelly OR type hat as well - the Campdraft Deluxe from Hats Direct and the (hopefully) soon to arrive Stratoliner from Buckeroo Hatters.

Yes and thanks a bunch. We sit and read on the site for hours and think it is fantastic. She says you are a saint! I ditto that!

(I have a Stetson 100 and an OR that I left that way, but I will never wear either of them)

Really?

I find the cattleman crease very appealing on an older hat with nice felt character.

I try to find a different personality for each of my hats and I try to wear them all. Otherwise you can wind up with a house full of the same hat.

just my .02!
Alan

HatsEnough

Banned
An ebay complaint...

I hate it when sellers give you a tracking number for your package that isn't a tracking number! They either give you the insurance number, or they input it wrong and it never reads anything. Mow-rons.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Really?

I find the cattleman crease very appealing on an older hat with nice felt character.

I try to find a different personality for each of my hats and I try to wear them all. Otherwise you can wind up with a house full of the same hat.

just my .02!
Alan

I've found that I generally leave the hat creased as it comes to me, unless it really needs to be changed for some reason. That provides me with a bit of variety. Like HE, the exception is the cattleman's crease. I don't always remove it, though. On some hats it works for me, on others it does not. Kind of hard to say why, but that's the way it is.

Cheers,
Tom

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Cattleman has a great side view, IMO, but I can't stand it from the front on me. Way too tapered, at least on the OR. My black wool Bailey Stampede has a similar crease that doesn't bother me nearly as much. I find that modification by shortening the side dents so that they don't go straight back helps tremendously. Of course both of these shots are at "the good angle" so it's hard to see.

thefalconhaslanded003co.jpg

bbor004copy.jpg

HatsEnough

Banned
My two incoming hats today…

A Stetson Playboy from the 1940s. This is one of the 2-1/2 inch brimmed lightweights. You can barely see the Stetson logo printed inside the crown. It is just visible showing that there was never a liner with this one. Felt is soft, thin, but pliable. I'm not sure if the ribbon was light colored originally or it is has just faded? I lean toward faded.

scaled.php

The second one is the Borsalino we talked about a few days ago. It is a really neat olive/brown color with a nice contrasting but complimentary ribbon treatment.

scaled.php

scaled.php

This one is definitely a size 7. Has a 7 tag and fits like a 7, too. Really nice shape and the seller got it to me in quick time.

scooter

Practically Family
I may have been mistaken, HE, we may be talking about different hats. The Borso I was looking at had some stitches pulled loose around the sweat. And I am almost certain it was larger than a 7.

Speaking of cattleman's crease, I for one will NOT wear a hat creased that way. I just do not care for the look. Having said that, some look fine it, Alan comes to mind and the young man from Texas , I believe, but his name escapes me right now. But it ain't for me!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ