Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Bob Beecher

One of the Regulars
Stratton Sheriff Style Hat

I just saw this and bought it...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271237247936

I got the only size 8 that he had, but there are still others in different sizes, in case anyone is looking for something like this!

After checking the Stratton site and several other eBay listings, it looks like most of these hats are sold unlined and without the leather straps. This one IS nicely lined and comes with both types of straps! It also comes with the original box. Buy It Now for $29.99 - not bad for a brand new felt hat of this quality!

winter_joe

A-List Customer
I just saw this and bought it...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271237247936

I got the only size 8 that he had, but there are still others in different sizes, in case anyone is looking for something like this!

After checking the Stratton site and several other eBay listings, it looks like most of these hats are sold unlined and without the leather straps. This one IS nicely lined and comes with both types of straps! It also comes with the original box. Buy It Now for $29.99 - not bad for a brand new felt hat of this quality!
How is the quality of these hats anyways? And Stratton as well didn't know about them and im curious before I purchase one

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For ultra heavy duty use they're great for the price. Extremely thick, extremely stiff, very durable. A bit helmet-like. Not the most comfortable unless you are the exact oval the hat is made for.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's a great deal. These cost over $100 new normally. I'm tempted I had one before and never wore it because it wasn't very comfortable (round oval and I'm a long oval) and the hole in the front is a dead giveaway that it's a uniform hat. I would probably have worn a long oval version with a modified ribbon to make it look less like a police hat (mine was navy blue).

jskeen

One of the Regulars
I did a little better this weekend than last, so I'm pretty happy. Got my first royal deluxe in my price range. St. Regis in a nice dark brown with matching ribbon and edge , a very minty wide roan leather sweat and no bugglies.
$(KGrHqNHJEQFHhJEkQSuBR6DGl7bQQ~~60_57.JPG
$T2eC16F,!y8E9s2fjEp-BR6DGsYPsg~~60_3.JPG

Also something I have been lusting after for a long time, a grey open road clone for a reasonable price. This one looks pretty sweet. It's 3 sizes too small, but the sweat is boring enough I don't mind sacrificing it, and after getting it reblocked to my size, a new sweat and the original liner and ribbon put back on, I'll have something I haven't been able to find at all, let alone afford in over a year! Hope it works out well.
688039516_o.jpg
688039693_o.jpg

I originally thought that the ribbon had some sort of jacquard pattern woven in, but looking at the full size photo's reveals a plain ligne ribbon. Digital image processing strikes again. Cest' la vie!

Next on my list is a sharp looking brown campaign hat that I can wear with my Cub Scout Leader uniform for next season, so I can show the bunch of civilians that run the other dens how a veteran wears a uniform. Hopefully I can use it to scare some of the little mothers darlings I have to deal with into line just a bit :)

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman Quotes, anyone?

Bob Beecher

One of the Regulars
For ultra heavy duty use they're great for the price. Extremely thick, extremely stiff, very durable. A bit helmet-like. Not the most comfortable unless you are the exact oval the hat is made for.

Well, after all, they ARE uniform hats.

I came across the listing while looking for "Forest Service" items. It was listed as a Forest Service hat. Oddly enough, the U.S. Forest Service only authorizes a Western-style cattleman crease Stetson hat in felt or straw...or an insignia ball cap...for their uniform. (By contrast, the National Park Service uses a campaign-style hat. Stratton supplies this, but they do not supply the U.S. Forest Service!)

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Wow, just moments ago I received an incredible hat from the bay. It is a gorgeous Stetson 25 in silver belly with a 2 7/8" raw brim and matching 1 3/8" ribbon. Though it does not indicate long oval, it's a perfect fit on me (like a glove), and the sweatband feels like it just came fresh from the factory, but it is undoubtedly original. The hat appears virtually unworn, but there is a mystery:

The ribbon is most definitely vintage, and tack stitched in the usual Stetson way, but one of the stitches actually went through the sweatband! Could this be a factory second? It doesn't appear to me like an amateur ribbon replacement job.

I will post photos ASAP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy