Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

RBH

Bartender
I
What do others think of the hat and the possible offer price that was accepted (something less than asking)?

But to get back to your question... I sold a couple of hats at the end of the year.
Both for less than what I ask.
So the bottom line is you get what you can.
You can never guess what someone will think is a good deal.
Nor can you figure what some one will buy and wear.
Just because it may be old does not mean it looks good nor looks good on you.

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
It highly depends on whether or not the "right" buyer sees the listing - and he/she has the financial space at that very moment. That's hat-life and part of the fun - both ways. Sometimes you get a bargain, and sometimes you'll have to watch treasures fly by - too late or unable. Hopefully it just spreads out the good deals in the long run :)

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
That's a fantastic Dobbs, CaramelSmoothie! Dobbs & Co. offered hats for women, made by Crofut & Knapp, from their start in 1908. Yours is very easy to date to between 1923 to 1928, thanks to the addresses on the liner tip. Dobbs & Co. opened the 324 Fifth Avenue storefront sometime between 1923 and 1924, but had to close their flagship 620 Fifth Avenue shop in 1928 because the building was torn down to make way for Rockefeller Center.

Those few Dobbs women's hats I have are much harder to date than the men's hats, and I just have to guess at their ages. I may run some photos by you someday to see if you can help date them by style.

Brad

Brad, here is the label for the Dobbs cloche. It was sold by Reid-Calkins, Inc. from The Orrington Hotel in Evanston, Ill. The name "Dolores" is on the label so maybe that is the name of the style of hat or was the owner who it was made for? The hotel is still there but it is a Hilton now:

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I haven't seen that on a Dobbs ladies' hat before, but then I don't usually see liners on Dobbs ladies' hats. My guess is it's the name of the style/model, based upon my Dobbs Boater which says "BOATER" in the same location.

Brad

Perhaps a nod to the beautiful and popular Dolores Del Rio? Or perhaps too early for that?

DolorelDelRioCedricGibbons.jpg

The Orrington opened in 1923 or 1925, depending on the source. Across the street from Northwestern University's Evanston campus... we stayed there several times during Sophie's years at NU.

Last edited:

ferryengr

One of the Regulars

We have a Stetson trilby with a back bow from the mid-1950's. The hat has little wear and the bow appears original. I have seen other Stetsons with the exact same bow on the back. I think hats were offered with a back bow. Our example is a size 6-3/4, so possibly on smaller sizes?

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Brad,

Yeah, I figured the name was the style, because custom made clothing usually has the owner's full name, not just the first name, so I agree with you, especially after seeing your picture, that is where Dobbs placed the style name.

Alan,

How neat! I went to the hotel's website and see that they kept the original structure but added a modern facade.

This is like the third hat that I have that indicates that the milliner's shop or sales shop where the hat was sold was located in a hotel. I am guessing that retail shops located in hotels were common back in the old days? Here in DC, the historic Mayflower Hotel has at least one shop on the ground floor from what I can see from the outside. I haven't seen retail shops in any other hotel that I have been to. Anybody know anything about this type of retail/lodging arrangement?

Alan,

How neat! I went to the hotel's website and see that they kept the original structure but added a modern facade.

This is like the third hat that I have that indicates that the milliner's shop or sales shop where the hat was sold was located in a hotel. I am guessing that retail shops located in hotels were common back in the old days? Here in DC, the historic Mayflower Hotel has at least one shop on the ground floor from what I can see from the outside. I haven't seen retail shops in any other hotel that I have been to. Anybody know anything about this type of retail/lodging arrangement?

High end retail in hotels and resorts was a staple and remains today, especially in properties with a history... though today I guess restaurants are much more popular fixture.

This Dobbs came from such a shop (later than yours).

Last edited:

fedoracentric

Banned
We have a Stetson trilby with a back bow from the mid-1950's. The hat has little wear and the bow appears original. I have seen other Stetsons with the exact same bow on the back. I think hats were offered with a back bow. Our example is a size 6-3/4, so possibly on smaller sizes?
It seems that back bows were popular for a time in the teens and 20s but went away until the late 50s--then went away after a few years then, too.
I took a look at the one he mentioned on ebay. It seems possible that the ribbon is original, but that is the first time I've ever seen one on a derby.
I have to say, I am not a fan of the back bow look on a man's hat.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
High end retail in hotels and resorts was a staple and remains today, especially in properties with a history... though today I guess restaurants are much more popular fixture.

This Dobbs came from such a shop (later than yours).

I have stayed in a number of historic hotels and from what I can tell, it seems the shops that are in there are either restaurants or gift shops all owned and managed by the hotel. It seems that these hat and clothing stores were independently owned by outside companies who leased space within the hotel. I could be wrong but this is what it looks like from my observation.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Just nabbed this 'Klee Brothers Co.' I have never heard of the maker but it looks decently old. I am thinking 1930s or older.

5aqe5a7a.jpg

ju7e5u6u.jpg

a6ajavad.jpg

agy8y7er.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
I tried finding dates on the company but am unable to fully research at the moment.

That photo is from the 50s, and the building was made in 1931. The hat looks older than that though, or is the hat from the 30s/ very early 40s?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

The business goes back further in other locations. There is currently a Stetson Standard Quality for sale on eBay with the Klee Bros. & Co. mark.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran