Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

I can understand someone not knowing what they are, but how could they assume they are salesman’s samples? Do they think that a shop owner would look at a ceramic miniature that only vaguely looks like a hat and think he would place an order based on that? I worked outside sales going through college and I know what buyers would have thought if I had tried something similar.

Just Daniel

One Too Many
I read somewhere they also used them to go with gift certificates. If I read and remember it correctly you could buy a gift certificate for a hat and it came with the mini. It was part of the presentation package.

I can understand someone not knowing what they are, but how could they assume they are salesman’s samples? Do they think that a shop owner would look at a ceramic miniature that only vaguely looks like a hat and think he would place an order based on that? I worked outside sales going through college and I know what buyers would have thought if I had tried something similar.

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Stetson 40s hats in 7 1/4 are pushing past the $400 mark, non Whippets included. The Vitafelt Diplomat hot $600+, and a 40s Royal DeLuxe Stetsonian just went on a $550 offer. These cases were both specific models; a 40s 3X Suede also went for ~$350.

Size is still important, but these hats (usually pre-plastic liners) are running 50-100% higher than just a few months ago - at least to my memory. The former $200 barrier looks a lot weaker.

PS St Regis hats don’t seem to be sharing the largess.

Last edited:
Stetson 40s hats in 7 1/4 are pushing past the $400 mark, non Whippets included. The Vitafelt Diplomat hot $600+, and a 40s Royal DeLuxe Stetsonian just went on a $550 offer. These cases were both specific models; a 40s 3X Suede also went for ~$350.

Size is still important, but these hats (usually pre-plastic liners) are running 50-100% higher than just a few months ago - at least to my memory. The former $200 barrier looks a lot weaker.

PS St Regis hats don’t seem to be sharing the largess.

The early St. Regis is a nice hat...but that’s not much of a silver lining. I’m listing hats myself, and along with the usual suspects, I’m considering putting up a few unicorns at shoot for the moon prices. Maybe someone in Japan is willing to pay 2K for a Vita Felt in 7 3/4?

It’s past time for a hat clear out anyway:

FC64684A-1035-4263-8031-A5868DFE2652.jpeg

Just Daniel

One Too Many
I spy an old Stetson hat box! I wonder what went in it!

The early St. Regis is a nice hat...but that’s not much of a silver lining. I’m listing hats myself, and along with the usual suspects, I’m considering putting up a few unicorns at shoot for the moon prices. Maybe someone in Japan is willing to pay 2K for a Vita Felt in 7 3/4?

View attachment 250955

Seller states and shows stained and moth damaged felt and here’s the sweatband:

9A6B30F8-9497-4990-845A-4C1C083B4635.jpeg
7018EF3E-23E9-40F7-B0C6-EDAE9BE3CBD4.jpeg
EA46D48A-6F1B-4C2E-90BD-5A0AC5D60A63.jpeg

Seller describes that hat’s condition as “very good” and states it’s completely wearable as it is. I actually think it’s priced fairly, but very good condition?

lesson? The same words mean very different things to different people. caveat emptor Indeed.

I read somewhere they also used them to go with gift certificates. If I read and remember it correctly you could buy a gift certificate for a hat and it came with the mini. It was part of the presentation package.

Oh, I see. Those aren't salesman's samples. People who title those auctions like that are not correct. Those are gift certificate boxes, not "salesman samples."
Here are a couple of my ads for these......
20190318_172911-jpg.161210

15121645347671256875813-jpg.96003

new2hats

A-List Customer

View attachment 250955
:pLooks like my place!

Louis Mountbatten

One of the Regulars
These Japanese buyers may be the ones shooting the prices back up again.

Wow missed that one entirely.
Is it really yellow? With green feather?
I do love Spike Jones! (I really do!)
View attachment 252089

I gave myself a 25% that I’d win the auction. If it was a size or two bigger I would have doubled my bid and given myself a 50% chance if winning it. Have I ever told you that it sucks having a non-vintage size head? :)

I can’t say I’m much of a Spike Jones fan, but I’ll chose it over rap any day!

Fu Manchu

One of the Regulars

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails