Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
cookie said:
I had bid on this and I am sorry (Maybe) I did not snipe higher...but what do you guys think of this 61 minty Borsalino straw Fedora? Should I have bid USD150 and then there is the postage Down Under. USD145 is now AUD240!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI...m=230323319410&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=013

Looks like a Cuenca brisa weave the inside is not leather. Depends on the grade I think you bid wisely and did not get it. I would not have bid as high for a Cuenca;)

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Stetson 7 3/8
a453_12.JPG
ac71_12.JPG

carter

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
I went for and won this one, despite its close resemblance to Hitler's favorite fedora. :(

Seal velour felt is no longer used for hats. (And yes, it did come from seals.)

Marc, That's a nice lid. I hope we get to see it on your noggin.

rumblefish

One Too Many

HatDoc

One of the Regulars
Alchemy5150 said:
I bid on and actually won this hat! I'm sorry, but I had to post my victory. I'm proud of this hat. Somebody tried to swipe it with only a few seconds left, but I had luckily bid a bit higher than they wanted to pay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330305211465&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Awesome lid. I wasn't the sniper, but I put an early bid in on it. I already have a Whippet in the same color, so I didn't really need it. Glad it went to a Lounger.

HatDoc

One of the Regulars
cookie said:
I had bid on this and I am sorry (Maybe) I did not snipe higher...but what do you guys think of this 61 minty Borsalino straw Fedora? Should I have bid USD150 and then there is the postage Down Under. USD145 is now AUD240!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI...m=230323319410&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=013

Negatory, Cookie. I think you bailed out correctly.

This sentence tells the story: "It is made in Italy from 100% Paglia Straw." I'm not sure what "Paglia" straw is, but genuine Panama hats are made in Ecuador from Toquilla straw.

For 150 clams, Panama Bob could get you a real nice Montecristi Panama.....not a Brisa-weave "Paglia".

So.....don't buy a "Panama" for the Borsalino name. If you like a hat, buy it. But in this case, you didn't miss a bargain by pulling the plug on this one.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I'm pretty sure that Borsalino straws are woven in Ecuador and finished off in Italy. And they do sell several grades of straw hats.

However you slice it, if you want a Borsalino straw you should consider simply buying one outright from one or another reputable online dealer. There are lots of places that sell them. That way you would get a hat free of defects and after sale service if needed.

If you Google Borsalino straw hats you will find many options and places to buy them. By the way, some places will even let you return hats for a refund if you aren't satisfied - as long as you don't wear the hat and return it in it's original condition promptly.

carter

I'll Lock Up
All cows are cattle but all cattle are not...

Marc Chevalier said:
Reminds me of the Black Angus steakhouses. "Angus" is a black hornless cattle breed from Scotland. So for all intents and purposes, the restaurant chain is named Black Black Cow.
Wouldn't that be Black Black Cattle?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner