Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Lefty said:
I took it up to 99, but knew it would go higher. Congrats to the winner of this great Barbisio.

carter said:
I hope it was someone here. I can think of a few likely candidates. I was in at $125.00 but the auction ended while I was away. Congratulations to the winner.

Thank you, gentlemen! I got in from Kentucky and found I'd won it an hour or so ago.

Ande1964 said:
Just got sniped on THIS ONE, which is cool... I went as high as I wanted to with the sizing questions.

Looks nice, though!

Anj

Umm, me, again. I had set three snipers before leaving for Kentucky, and much to my surprise all three hit their targets--all hats from the same seller. The third was the other Batsakes Bros hat he had for sale:

!BNEjMggBmk~$(KGrHgoOKk!EjlLmZICkBJny!VY-8w~~_12.JPG

I have my doubts that this one will look good on me with my often florid complexion, but I thought I'd add it to my Batsakes collection if I could. Didn't expect to get all three! Not sure how I'm going to explain it...:eek:

Cheers,
Tom

Jabos

A-List Customer
I am always impressed by this thread. Sometimes I wonder if you guys are looking at a different Ebay than I. Actually, I am learning more about hats by just watching this thread than reading any other single thread on FL. Hope to get my second Ebay purchase in the mail today. Tampahound, for a newbie you are certainly doing great! Nice Disney.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I still don't really know what a Custom V is supposed to be, but this one, a 7 1/2, just sold for only about $80. Maybe the V is the crease, which looks just like the A crown that Graham puts into many Optimos.
c495_1.JPG
c599_1.JPG

Here are some ads from 53 and 54, but note the many differences in style from the auction hat.
stetson1953customV.jpg
stetsoncustomv1953.jpg

This one must be Canadian, with the addition of the "aquanized" feature.
stetson1954.jpg

1954.jpg

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
I was thinking of bidding on that one, but, in the end decided not to. It looks like a beautiful lid -- but it also looks like an OR with a slightly wider ribbon, and I'm not in the market for one of those. It certainly has a different appearance than the more typical Custom V depicted in the vintage Stetson ads. In that respect, this one seems to be something of an anomaly.

From reading the ad copy, it seems that Lefty's suspicion is correct -- the "Custom V" appears to be a "custom" permanent crease:

"Creasing a hat...and doing it right...is an art. With the new Stetson Custom V, you know the crease is right because it is built-in by Stetson craftsmen to last the life of the hat."

Very interesting.

Cheers,
JtL

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Michaelshane said:
Stratoliner.......$76.99

b441_1.JPG

1e46_1.JPG

I bid on that one but got scared off by the pictures of mutiple hats. She didn't address my question to my satisfaction. That strat though looks like a great deal.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Tango Yankee said:
Now that's nice D-man!

I've not seen Stack before. Is that a grosgrain sweatband? I wonder how that would hold up to serious sweat.

Cheers,
Tom

Stack Hats were made by Hat Corporation of America. It was a private label offered by their plant superintendent and 4-time mayor of Norwalk, Frank T. Stack. He started the line in 1942, but it doesn't appear to have made it out of the '40s. '47 is the last reference I can find. So that narrows the dating of this hat considerably!

Neat to see the natural rabbit/hare color and fuzzy finish. I haven't seen one like this before, and have only seen about four Stack Hats in the past few years. This is a wonderful casual hat.

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo