Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Emo? No, I'm Vintage.

Matthew Dalton

A-List Customer
I've been seeing a lot of stuff on the bay being labeled as "Emo". I was wondering; have any of you been associated with the youth cult by others for wearing Golden Era clothing?

Now if I like something, I'll wear it in spite of what others think. But I have to admit it; I'd rather not be associated with Emos.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
I didn't think he wore vintage... lol

emo_philips_sideways.jpg

Kids today, eh?

Matthew Dalton

A-List Customer
I'm not exactly sure how it started, but certain items like Newsboys and Argyle Sweaters for instance are now pegged as "Emo Clothing" by many. It seems a good deal of other Golden Era fashions are also being associated with the genre/cult.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Matthew Dalton said:
I'm not exactly sure how it started, but certain items like Newsboys and Argyle Sweaters for instance are now pegged as "Emo Clothing" by many. It seems a good deal of other Golden Era fashions are also being associated with the genre/cult.

I think it came about as an offshoot of that silly "Shabby Chic" thing.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You also need to remember that sellers are using buzz words--"rockabilly", "Rat Pack" "Emo", and my favorite "VLV", (which stands for Viva Las Vegas, but 3/4 of these sellers probably don't know that!) to describe a vintage item for which they're not sure of the target customer.

Matthew Dalton

A-List Customer
flat-top said:
You also need to remember that sellers are using buzz words--"rockabilly", "Rat Pack" "Emo", and my favorite "VLV", (which stands for Viva Las Vegas, but 3/4 of these sellers probably don't know that!) to describe a vintage item for which they're not sure of the target customer.

My favourite, or rather the exact opposite is "L@@K!".

Feraud

Bartender
flat-top said:
Correct. Keep in mind just about anything is being sold sold with "Vintage" in the title...

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
"Some use the term "emo" to describe a feeling of depression, alluding to the association of depression with the "emo" subculture. Also, when something is warped, especially in colour, it is described as having "gone emo." for example "my printer's gone emo on me."

one of my 40s cable knit t-shirts leaked colour on itself once during a wandwash and went decidedly emo.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
From an ex emo (yes, my ex was in an emo band)-

Emo started as an underground music movement- kids involved would thrift store shop for unique clothes to fit their tastes. When I was into it maybe four years ago right before it got big we'd scour for 70's zip up jackets, printed kid's tees, 70's and 80's silkscreened t shirts, plaid skirts, old ties, and "hippie" ish clothing in natural fibers (oh wait, I still do that...)

Emo and Indie music started getting big with bands like The Postal Service and Dashboard Confessional, Underoath and Coheed and Cambria (and believe me we were all foaming at the mouth when we heard them on mainstread radio :rage: ) These bands were on TV, in magazines, etc- wearing the types of clothing we were scouring for. They were termed "vintage" because it was around the same time that vintage started getting really huge in the fashion world- where you'd see several times in the big names like Vogue and Elle per issue. Vintage is obviously more tasteful a title to those with money who are getting into a new scene (I mean, who besides those truly devoted or required to loves digging about in smelly thrift stores for smelly old clothes?) so Vintage and Emo became connected. The kids flying to be popular on this new mainstream emergence snagged up anything with Emo in the title. I don't know, but personally I think Emo had it's heyday so I'm not sure why the auctions still have them in the listing... maybe there's the devoted people who still identify themselves with that personna but I found it, although artistic, rather depressing.

At least that's my take on it.

Naama

Practically Family
Oh Lauren! So you're a real Indie-snob as it sounds (or, you used to be ;) )?

Well, I know a lot of indie/emo kids. And many emos think I'm emo too...... THere was this girl at my school.... She was crazy! And sure, she always tried to make friends with me..... (all the loons love me :eusa_doh: )
Anyway, I can see the connection. Many female emos somehow look a bit 20's, low waist dresses, black bobs (that's one reason why I don't really want to have a black bob) or sometimes a bit 50's with full skirts or capri jeans and, for sure the red lipstick.
But If it comes to guys, I really can't see the connection [huh]

Naama

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran