Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

European 30s Styles

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bloody gorgeous pics. Interesting that the French suits have no cuffs on the trousers. Is that normal for the 1930s?

Dr Doran

C.K.Farnsworth said:
I must have one of those german suits made! The single button like an old cuff link with one on each side... and the plaid, is that what you mean by window pane ( pardon the naive question)

Yes, that is what is meant by window pane. But I am also confused about the German jacket buttons. Can someone (such as Baron, or whoever else knows) explain how that jacket closure works? I don't understand (it looks wonderful in the drawing, though).

Dr Doran

BellyTank said:
It IS just like a cufflink.
A buttonhole on either side- 2 buttons on a link- the jacket fronts don't overlap.

A bit of a fad.

Just as it appears.

B
T

Rather nice. I cannot say I have seen it before. Does the link stay there or is it removable?

Alon

One of the Regulars
These 30s style jackets seem to be tightly fitted like the 20s style, is the biggest difference in the pants, which in the 30s became more loose as opposed to the very narrow style of the 20s?

Rittmeister

Familiar Face
The width of the pants is for me the most distinguishing difference between the 30s-40s and the last 20 years, particularly the bottoms. Although there was a lot of variation, by and large, older pants were cut to hang straight from the waist with a minimal amount of tappering to the bottom. Beginning right after WWII, pants seemed to have remained full from the waist to the knee, but became more tappered towards to the bottom. At the same time as jackets seem to have become longer and fuller, the entire silhouette changed.

Fabulous scans - thanks for sharing.

These chaps all seem tall and slender - I guess the modern penchant for tall slender models is nothing new.

They all have such wonderful balance and symmetry. I especially like the "Link Closure" suit - I had a vest one time that had a similar closure - somewhat of an old time gamblers vest.

JimInSoCalif

One of the Regulars
During the early 1950's the mostly Black bands that played R&B with a honking tenor sax often (usually?) wore one button roll suits, with wide spread collars (Mr. B collars) and suede shoes of various colors. The trousers may have been pegged, but it was so long ago, I don't really remember.

I hope I am not too far off topic here, but I thought I would throw in a little trivia about one button suits.

Thanks to all who post the illusytations of clothing from the 1920's and 30's.

Cheers, Jim.

chalkstripe

New in Town
Thats the most appealing windowpane I've seen. Rittmeister, I think you gave me inspiration for my next 3pc. I really like the high cut arms, clean pockets and the one-button - really minimalistic yet elegant. I'm probably going to update the cut of the pant with something less baggy. Hopefully mytailor.com has a windowpane comparable to this. so the fabric-matching journey begins.

Rittmeister said:
I am working on the French scans. In the meantime, here is German tailor design plate - a great one button windowpane suit. I hope the size of the scan is not too big. I will scan more of these also.
Kleidung001.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot